Topics

Retrofit emco pc turn 50

finistairsoft@...

Hello everybody ! I'm french and I have an emco pc turn50 since few weeks without computer/software/card. I want use mach3 (USB) and retrofit this lathe, but keep maximum original parts.
I have already a 0.55kw VFD, and I'm looking to save originals motors. I found on aliexpress 5 phases drivers :
I don't know if it is ok for original motors...

Maybe someone with a retrofit pc turn 50 can help me ?

Thank you !

Eric

Rowan Schwartz

I have one too and plan on retro fitting and will take advice too!

On Mar 14, 2020, at 1:56 PM, finistairsoft@... wrote:

Hello everybody ! I'm french and I have an emco pc turn50 since few weeks without computer/software/card. I want use mach3 (USB) and retrofit this lathe, but keep maximum original parts.
I have already a 0.55kw VFD, and I'm looking to save originals motors. I found on aliexpress 5 phases drivers :
I don't know if it is ok for original motors...

Maybe someone with a retrofit pc turn 50 can help me ?

Thank you !

Eric

emco@...

should keep the stepper motors and the 3 phase spindle motor, check this link

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=140566

also check mach3support more detailed about this conversion.

finistairsoft@...

Thanks for links !

I will check mach3 support too !

Drivers on aliexpress are for 5 phases motors, sames output/inputs than drivers on model-engineer link, I will try.

Mamz

I got compact 5 lathe but it's same parts to pc 50. If you need help you can contact me. I live in France too and make 2 retrofits on this machine.

Daniel Pilon

Hi,

I made a retrofit changing the stepper motor, the stepper driver and the spindle drive. It take verry little space. It all fit behind the yellow part of the cnc machine. I made the configuration for Mach 3 and for LunuxCNC using the old spindle encoder to synchronise the spindle (for threading). It sound to me it is much better to go for "standart" solution instead of keeping the custom motor/driver from the old machine. Do you think there is a market for retrofit kit?  I think It could be sold for 400$ with detailed plan to apply the retrofit and configure the software.

Thank you and have a good day

Daniel

On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 at 09:29, Mamz <mams20_7@...> wrote:
I got compact 5 lathe but it's same parts to pc 50. If you need help you can contact me. I live in France too and make 2 retrofits on this machine.

Mamz

Edited

Hi Daniel, I agree with you. The standards steppers motors is easier (bipolar 4 wires).

What is your feedback about  Linux and mach3 on threading? I use only mach3 on theses machine but I had some errors with my ESS Smoothstepper controller.
The spindle is not perfectly synchronized and beyond 1900 rpm the index gets carried away and leaves the spindle at the maximum speed. I haven't had time to seriously push the tests yet but I would some feedbacks.

Mams z.

Daniel Pilon

Hi,

Mach 3 only use the 1 pulse per rotation so it is not berry efficient at compensating for the rpm variations on the spindle. Linuxcnc make a better job at synchronising the axis since it use the 1pulse per revolution and the 100pulse per revolution encoder at the same time. I have a special spindle drive that adjust the spindle power to keep the rpm constant +/-1%. It help with the synchronisation of the stepper and the spindle necessary for precise threading.

This made the cost of my retrofit go up but I am happy with the result.

Do you think there is a market for retrofit kit?

Thank you and have a good day

Daniel

On Mon., Mar. 16, 2020, 9:37 a.m. Mamz <mams20_7@...> wrote:
Hi Daniel, what is your feedback about  Linux and mach3 on threading? I use only mach3 on theses machine but I had some errors with my ESS Smoothstepper controller.
The spindle is not perfectly synchronized and beyond 1900 rpm the index gets carried away and leaves the spindle at the maximum speed. I haven't had time to seriously push the tests yet but I would some feedbacks.

Mams z.

marty_in_mesa

Centroid CNC Acorn has a true spindle encoder input that requires a line driver differential encoder. Works well, can allow rigid and Peck tapping. 4 axis of step and direction motion control. Hardware and software comes from the same manufacturer specializing in CNC Machine motion control for over 30 years. Of course there are others.

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020, 7:04 AM Daniel Pilon <teilax@...> wrote:
[...]

mauri.harkonen@...

Hi,
I have got Emco 50 PCTurn but not ISA RS-485 Interface PC Mill Turn Y4A013000 0404TN card.
Are they similar in EMCO 50 and EMCO 5 turn and also in 50/5 milling machines? Do you know where to get one?
I would like to update this user interface, so if you are solving this problem, I am interested.

I am located in Finland.
Mauri

zachary mcdonald

I am also retrofitting my lathe right now. i was able to use all the original parts except for the vfd. im using all the original drivers and breakout-board too.