Topics

PCMill Feeds and Speeds

@Travis_S

Edited

Hello all,

I have been working on my PCMill 50 with Fanuc 0 control (AC88) and was wondering what the max feeds/speeds are for others machines.

Stock, my machine topped out at 29IPM feedrate, and 2500rpm spindle speed.

With MSD file modifications, I have gotten my machine up to 5000rpm spindle speed (although there is near zero torque up that high-more to come on this in a future post) and 47 IPM max feedrate (screenshot added to photos). I have really come to like this little machine- I just finished making some toe clamps, and I was able to rough them with an adaptive toolpath at 2500 rpm (machine torque peak) and 47ipm , with a 1/2 4 flute coated carbide endmill (OSG) with 15% radial stepover and .250" depth of cut. Pretty serious for a machine this size!

I have noticed the spindle seems to stall fairly easily with plunge moves with an endmill, or drills larger than .200". Does this mirror your experiences with these machines? I halfway suspect it is a drawbar adjustment issue, just havent had time to take a look.

Interested to hear your experiences!

Thanks,

Travis

arjan.dijk

Pretty nice. Good to share these figures. I have an PC Mill 55. I have not changed MSD settings to change the spindle speed. I know that the bearings are not designed for that, but its useful in aluminium. I have no coolant yet, so milling pockets is always a problem with chip clearance. I have tried aluminium with a 10mm endmill 2000mm/min 20% Ae, 4mm Ap. I noticed that the maxing out the DoC does bring a lot of load to the XY spindles and they are probably to thin. Less DoC works better for me.

Op vr 27 sep. 2019 om 09:00 schreef <Emcofan31@...>:

Hello all,

I have been working on my PCMill 50 with Fanuc 0 control (AC88) and was wondering what the max feeds/speeds are for others machines.

Stock, my machine topped out at 29IPM feedrate, and 2500rpm spindle speed.

With MSD file modifications, I have gotten my machine up to 5000rpm spindle speed (although there is near zero torque up that high-more to come on this in a future post) and 47 IPM max feedrate. I have really come to like this little machine- I just finished making some toe clamps, and I was able to rough them with an adaptive toolpath at 2500 rpm (machine torque peak) and 47ipm , with a 1/2 4 flute coated carbide endmill (OSG) with 15% radial stepover and .250" depth of cut. Pretty serious for a machine this size!

I have noticed the spindle seems to stall fairly easily with plunge moves with an endmill, or drills larger than .200". Does this mirror your experiences with these machines? I halfway suspect it is a drawbar adjustment issue, just havent had time to take a look.

Interested to hear your experiences!

Thanks,

Travis

David Rabenius

Travis:
  EMCO rates the drilling capacity at 1\4 in Aluminum, steel is not quoted. Are you just straight drilling or using the G43 peck drill cycle? You can always step up drills or predrill then drop the endmill into the hole. Steel machining on this machine can be done but as you have found out means small cuts. Also if you use roughing endmills you can feed faster, but you will need coolant, mist works well.

Dave

[Edited Message Follows]