Topics

PC mill 55 communication issue

Sombrero

Hello all,

I just bought an Emco PC mill 55.
Unfortunately, no any software was included with the machine. Fortunately I have a computer with the RS485 card and some software installed like Wincam and WinNC.
I do not have the cnc control panel so I suppose I cannot control the machine with WinNC... Right?
But I should be able to control it with Wincam.

However I am facing to communication issue between the computer and the machine cause nothing happens. Some software have been installed 2 times ans I would like to instal them again correctly.
Of course I am missing the softwares disks and the MSD disk.
I think an ISO file of Wincam is already available on the computer and I contacted Emco to send me the MSD file.

I had a look on this forum but I still have some questions not answered.

Is the MSD file different for each machine even if it is the same model?

Because the software are already installed, I suppose a valid license key have been used. Is it possible to find it in the parameter of the software or somewhere else on the computer in order to instal them again?
If not, can anybody help me?

Do tou see anything else missing in my configuration ?

Thank a lot and sorry for my poor english, I am french.

User0n3

Recommended you ensure you have all software needed to get machine working without the Fanuc controller

David Rabenius

Early 55's had RS485 cards. Then they switched to RS422 cards. Without seeing your PC can't help.
Of the mill & PC were together and worked when you bought it then you should be ok.
EMCO MADE up machines in batches. If you don't have the MSD disk then EMCO will give you a generic one.
You don't need the console to run the machine as in the manual it shows a standard keyboard with the key strokes labeled to run it. The console was a $1,700. option.
Are you sure you have the correct machine & software??

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020, 9:03 PM User0n3 <chico_181@...> wrote:
Recommended you ensure you have all software needed to get machine working without the Fanuc controller

wild_kow

Hi,

Firstly you can control the mill (or lathe) directly from the computer keyword using WinNC. As just mentioned, there is an keyboard overlay in the manual. You can also use a sketchpad with overlay. There were separate overlays for the different control software's. The system worked with a limited number of graphic tablets as listed in the manual. These mimic the layout of real control panel.

There are some control panels listed on EBay for other Emco machines/systems. I cannot see any real differences between them and their part numbers so they may work with all machines/systems. Someone may have accurate knowledge in this area.

You cannot install the WinNC software without the licence disk nor the MSD disk. They are both required in the disk swapping setup procedures so how are you reinstalling the software?

All the files can be loaded into a folder on the computer and the setup procedure will find them so this may be what has happened in your case.

John W

Early 55's had RS485 cards. Then they switched to RS422 cards. Without seeing your PC can't help.
Of the mill & PC were together and worked when you bought it then you should be ok.
EMCO MADE up machines in batches. If you don't have the MSD disk then EMCO will give you a generic one.
You don't need the console to run the machine as in the manual it shows a standard keyboard with the key strokes labeled to run it. The console was a $1,700. option.
Are you sure you have the correct machine & software??

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020, 9:03 PM User0n3 <chico_181@...> wrote:
Recommended you ensure you have all software needed to get machine working without the Fanuc controller

arjan.dijk

Hi Vincent (Dutch?),

WinCAM can not use a control panel and is not a requirement for any of the WinNC controls. Of course you need to know if the PC you have is meant for the PC50 series or the PC55.

Where are you located? I have a working PC Mill 55 and Turn 55 and working PCs

Arjan

Op do 17 sep. 2020 om 04:08 schreef David Rabenius <taborboy78@...>:

Early 55's had RS485 cards. Then they switched to RS422 cards. Without seeing your PC can't help.
Of the mill & PC were together and worked when you bought it then you should be ok.
EMCO MADE up machines in batches. If you don't have the MSD disk then EMCO will give you a generic one.
You don't need the console to run the machine as in the manual it shows a standard keyboard with the key strokes labeled to run it. The console was a $1,700. option.
Are you sure you have the correct machine & software??

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020, 9:03 PM User0n3 <chico_181@...> wrote:
Recommended you ensure you have all software needed to get machine working without the Fanuc controller

Sombrero

Hello,

Thank you all for your help.

"Early 55's had RS485 cards. Then they switched to RS422 cards. Without seeing your PC can't help"
I don't have any picture of the ISA card RS422/RS485 but if I remember well, this card looks like to this one :
https://groups.io/g/Emco-CNC-Users/topic/30411724
I remember it was written PCCOM V1.0.
I will try to make run the machine on this weekend and I will take some pictures of card and software.

"All the files can be loaded into a folder on the computer and the setup procedure will find them so this may be what has happened in your case"
This is my case. I have a folder with all executable files to installe Wincam but I don't have the license key physicaly. Is it possible to reinstalle the software by this way?

"Firstly you can control the mill (or lathe) directly from the computer keyword using WinNC."
I didn't know thank you.

"Are you sure you have the correct machine & software??"
I just suppose it because the machine come from the college where the previous owner worked. I see also that ISA card is quite hard to find so I suppose this is the right computer.
My opinion is that wincam has been downloaded after but the last guy has not been able to make run the machine...
Is there any version of wincam not compatible with this machine?
I found many folder of wincam on the computer so I suppose the software has been installed several times... That is why I wanted to reinstalle all of them.

"Hi Vincent (Dutch?)"
"Where are you located? I have a working PC Mill 55 and Turn 55 and working PCs"
Only my surname is dutch, I am living in France near Paris.

Thanks again.