Topics

PC 5 Max Spindle Speed

marty_in_mesa

Does anyone know definitively what the max RPM the PC CNC5 spindle bearings can take?
Per the belt chart, it appears the max RPM is 2800.
I have replaced the AC motor with a direct metric replacement and installed a GS1 VFD from Automation direct. I have retained the original motor pulley, but removed the countershaft. Techically we have 3 belt speed ranges IF needed.

But we would like to push the spindle speed to 3500rpm. Unsure if the factory bearings could take 4K RPM for a long period of time or not.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Marty

john@...

Personally I wouldn't worry about increasing the spindle speed provided you are running a well balanced set-up.
emco's bearings are well oversized to take the strain of cutting materials like cast iron up to diameters up to 4-5 inches. At 4000 rpm the correct diameter is roughly 14 - 20mm - see the following link that may help you
https://www.engineersedge.com/calculators/machining-cutting-speeds-calc.htm
Regards

David Rabenius

Marty
Techspex brochure states 4000 rpm for the PCTURN55, all of these machines use the same headstock casting. I dont know if they upgraded the main bearings or not when they went fron PC5 to the PCTurn series. The PC5 & Turn 50 were in production during the same time. Pc5 was around $7,500 and the turn 50 was $12,900. That was for the base machine: ie no control board console, Cad\Cam software, tooling, desk, etc.
Why do you need the extra rpm?? The headstock design and bearings of these machines were not designed for heavy duty turning & production. I and others have run parts of 100 pcs, just takes long time.
If you still have that 120turn, far better machine with real duty spindle.

Subject: [Emco-CNC-Users] PC 5 Max Spindle Speed
To: Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io
Date: Tuesday, September 18, 2018, 6:10 PM

Does anyone know
definitively what the max RPM the PC CNC5 spindle bearings
can take? Per the belt chart, it appears the max RPM
is 2800. I have replaced the AC motor with a
direct metric replacement and installed a GS1 VFD from
Automation direct. I have retained the original motor
pulley, but removed the countershaft. Techically we have 3
belt speed ranges IF needed.
But we would like to push the spindle speed to
3500rpm. Unsure if the factory bearings could take 4K RPM
for a long period of time or not.
Thoughts?
Thanks
Marty

marty_in_mesa

Machine is not mine. It's for a customer and he has specific uses for them. The higher speed may help his finishing on the types of material he uses.

Yes, I still have the 120...and a 140...and a 240 😀

 To: Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io