Topics

PC 50 turn and PC 50 mill

Joe Schlawin

Hello all,
About a year and a half ago I bought a working PC 50 mill and PC 50 lathe. They were purchased new by the local public school in '98 but they were never used.  Last year I got them without computers or boards or software so I could not run them but was assured that they work.  I didn't want to spend the time trying to find the parts I needed or to learn new programing so I totally stripped the mill and replaced the steppers with servos and used a buildbotics controller.  I program in Fusion 360 and have made a number of parts in plastic and aluminum but now I want something bigger.
If anyone is interested I am selling the lathe as is, fully original, mostly never used, with a three tool changer.
I would also sell the mill and/or all the original controller parts.  The mill is in working order with a buildbotics controller and a 120v VFD running the spindle.  I have not put in hard stops or controls for the spindle but they are all possible with the buildbotics controller, along with the ability to add a fourth axis.

I live near Atlanta.

Joe

ken ramsay

Hi Joe,
I also acquired a some barely used Emco 55 mills and lathes from a college and like yours, with no PCs or software. I want to get them up and running and looking at the buildbotics.com site, this looks like a good retrofit route to take.
A question for you, the controller has full native support for many different steppers, so can you tell me - a CNC retrofit noob - why you fitted servos instead as their web site seems to suggest that the old limitations of steppers are overcome by the controller capable of 200k steps/sec? Also, what servos did you install?
How near to Atlanta are you? I live in Asheville.

Thanks
Ken

On Nov 28, 2020, at 8:20 PM, Joe Schlawin <jrs2tools@...> wrote:

[...]

Tim Boan

Hi,

Just a shot in the dark here for Ken - You said you acquired "some"  PC 55 mills. Any interest in parting with one of those mills?
I would be looking to do a Centroid Acorn retrofit, so while a completely working one with all the electronics, PC and software
would be nice, I'm mainly looking for the iron.  I'm in Virginia, and I assume you mean Asheville, NC.

Thanks,

Tim

ken ramsay

Hi Tim
My buddy and I picked them up from a local in Michigan and they are sitting in his shop at the moment while we try and figure out how to get them running. He actually bought a Centroid controller, PSU and some new steppers but , so far, we have not been able to get any more than basic functionality. Every resource on the Internet seems to indicate that this should be straightforward but the devil is in the details and it is leaving us frustrated with the Centroid approach. Acorn support has been pretty poor so that is why I became interested in the buildbotics controller as this does seem much simpler.

At the moment, all the mills we have should become functional once we finally figure out the correct retrofit procedure so wouldn’t make sense parting one out right now.

Any help/pointers for detailed information on retrofitting the Emco 55s would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Ken

On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 3:54 PM Tim Boan <tcboan@...> wrote:
Hi,

Just a shot in the dark here for Ken - You said you acquired "some"  PC 55 mills. Any interest in parting with one of those mills?
I would be looking to do a Centroid Acorn retrofit, so while a completely working one with all the electronics, PC and software
would be nice, I'm mainly looking for the iron.  I'm in Virginia, and I assume you mean Asheville, NC.

Thanks,

Tim

marty_in_mesa

How has Centroid support been pretty poor? Many have completed the conversions on those Emcos including making the turrets work.

Marty

On Sun, Nov 29, 2020, 2:12 PM ken ramsay <Kenrams@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Ken,
I'm really north of Atlanta in Gainesville.

I just looked and realized that I miss wrote and switched stepper and servo.  I put in steppers. I don't recall the size of the steppers but I think they are NEMA23.  I also found out that it is really easy to switch to direct drive using a 6mm threaded shaft with a longer smooth shaft.  I got them from Woodturners Wonders and they screw right in to the end of the drive pulley.  I just had to make new brackets to hold the steppers.
You might not even need to do that if you are willing to send an original servo to buildbotics.  They will check it to see if it will work with their system.  It might just be switching the wires from the mess in the back to the buildbotics box.
This was my first retrofit and it was a snap with buildbotics.  I highly recommend them for simplicity and ease of use as well as incredible customer service.

Sincerely,
Joe Schlawin

President and Owner
JRS2TOOLS and TURNINGS
219-671-6751

On Sunday, November 29, 2020, 12:00:12 PM EST, ken ramsay <kenrams@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Tim,
If you don't have any luck with Ken give me a call.  I'm willing to part with the mill and it has a great start already with buildbotics.  Much easier from what I can tell.  I'm in Gainesville, GA

Sincerely,
Joe Schlawin

President and Owner
JRS2TOOLS and TURNINGS
219-671-6751

On Sunday, November 29, 2020, 03:54:05 PM EST, Tim Boan <tcboan@...> wrote:

Hi,

Just a shot in the dark here for Ken - You said you acquired "some"  PC 55 mills. Any interest in parting with one of those mills?
I would be looking to do a Centroid Acorn retrofit, so while a completely working one with all the electronics, PC and software
would be nice, I'm mainly looking for the iron.  I'm in Virginia, and I assume you mean Asheville, NC.

Thanks,

Tim

ken ramsay

Hi Marty,
To be honest I am only repeating what my machinist buddy in Michigan told me about Centroid Acorn support. He was told when purchasing the Acorn controller that the retrofit is pretty much “plug and play” for the Emco and after a year, he has still not got fully up and running. As I said, the devil is in the details and you mention that many have completed on conversions on Emcos, but we cannot find a find a comprehensive resource for a detailed conversion blog.
Regards
Ken

On Nov 29, 2020, at 4:20 PM, marty_in_mesa <marty.escarcega@...> wrote:

[...]

I appreciate your honesty.
Have you done a search on YouTube for Centroid Acorn?
You do have to put some effort into any CNC control conversion. You do need basic electrical/electronic skills, but the Centroid Users forum is there with many examples. https://centroidcncforum.com/viewforum.php?f=60

And there are schematic sets as well. About half way down the page:

Centroid created and published the PLC to drive the turret with instructions and schematics:
I don't know of many if any control manufacturers that supply all that information to help users. For more complex ATC PLC logic, they or a couple of dealers can be hired to help sort it out.

Certainly there are many controls out there to choose from. I prefer that the axis drives are separate from the control. More options to choose from.

Bottom line, users have much to choose from with respect to CNC controls including maintaining the original Emco controls when possible.

I do respectfully ask that you not pass judgement on any of them until you have experience with them. Take what others say negatively with a grain of salt or ask why they feel they didn't like the control specifically.

I do find that many get overwhelmed with the complexity of CNC conversions in general. Especially when they don't have the basic skills to do it themselves. That's ok, we need to know our own limitations.

Emco machines were quite well designed and robust. Lucky are those like yourself that are still finding the iron cast away from the school system in nice shape...and not scrapped.

Best of luck to you with whatever route you choose. Lots of good people here. Ive watched with great interest users trying to help with the floppy drives. Thats great to have that sort of techinical resource here and the willingness to try and help.

Marty

On Sun, Nov 29, 2020, 8:09 PM ken ramsay <Kenrams@...> wrote:
[...]

Roderick Mellott

I don't understand all the push here for Centroid. Everytime a retrofit comes up. Centroid seems like the only accepted solution here.
 Mach 4 with a large number of controls options is usually more cost effective and offers more in terms of community support on a multitude of forums for someone performing the work for themselves.

On Sun, Nov 29, 2020, 10:41 PM marty_in_mesa <marty.escarcega@...> wrote:
[...]

No push. Many to choose from! I respect that, and I respect those that want to retain and maintain the original controls.
My curiosity piqued when he made the statement about poor support from Centroid.

Marty

On Sun, Nov 29, 2020, 9:07 PM Roderick Mellott <rodm717@...> wrote:
[...]

Dave Leer

Hello Joe, I have a son that is looking for an Emco PC 50/55 mill to retro. What do you have to have for your PC 50? If he is interested I could come through Atlanta
and pick it up after Christmas. The Buildbotics controller sounds interesting.
Thank you for your time.
Dave

On 11/28/2020 8:20 PM, Joe Schlawin wrote:
[...]

Hi Dave,
I paid 1k for the mill and have close to that in steppers, controller, VFD, etc but I am willing to bargain.  What I have done with the buildbotics works great.  There is still a lot that needs to be done like hard stops, door controls, coolant and VFD control.
There is also a power vise.

I also have the matching lathe with a three tool changer.

I'm available for a call if you want.

Sincerely,
Joe Schlawin

President and Owner
JRS2TOOLS and TURNINGS
219-671-6751

On Saturday, December 5, 2020, 04:15:22 PM EST, Dave Leer <gotof@...> wrote:

[...]

Joe, my son has decided to look elsewhere.
Thank you
Dave

On 12/5/2020 7:01 PM, Joe Schlawin wrote:
[...]

Dave,
I understand,  If he finds one that needs a controller, I'd suggest the Buildbotics.  It is very easy to use and a lot cheaper than most of the other controllers.
Also, if he finds one and needs original parts, I might have them.

Sincerely,
Joe Schlawin

President and Owner
JRS2TOOLS and TURNINGS