From: Roderick Mellott
Sent: Thursday, November 26, 2020 1:05 PM
To: Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Emco-CNC-Users] CNC?

Nice find! Would love to have found something like this myself.

Sounds like a perfect match for Centroid retro fit.

On Thu, Nov 26, 2020, 11:45 AM marty_in_mesa <marty.escarcega@...> wrote:

Centroid's test lathe is the same machine.

Replace the old DC Brush Servos with Closed Loop Hybrid steppers.(Keep the Spindle VFD)

You can certainly post your question to the Centroid CNC User's forum for more input.

On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 9:09 AM Rich Gillen via groups.io <Armilite=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Newby, Off Topic.

I have a chance to Buy a Techno Isel CNC 9" x 20" Lathe with a nice Cabinet. Doesn't light up he says. The Software looks Arcane/Old. He says it has Servo motors.

My Questions are, has anyone upgraded one of these using the Acorn Board & Software, or use Mach 3/4?

Are the Servo Motors compatible with the Acorn Board & Software?

Thanks for any Input.

marty_in_mesa

You try contacting the seller Dave?

On Thu, Nov 26, 2020, 5:00 PM David Rabenius <taborboy78@...> wrote:

To All:

   Does anyone out there know who purchased the EMCO PCmill50 from Tennessee? The auction included a box of Lathe stuff and I am interested in buying the contents minus the CD’s. It appeared that most of the box contents  & manuals were Lathe and not useful on the mill. The auction also did not include the RS485 card so for the purchase price it was high at $2,500. There is one on ebay now for I believe $ 2,100 that seems complete.

   If anyone knows the purchaser please P.M.  me.

Dave

Happy Holidays

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

David Rabenius

I called the seller and spoke to him. He insisted that the mill was complete & working but had never used it as he owns a Machine shop that he uses to make his own products.

  From our conversation I gathered he didn’t believe me that the mill was missing the RS485 card either. He said that he would take pics of the box contents, which he never did so my trust level dropped 1,000%. Hope whomever bought it realizes this.

Dave

[...]

Tom Lyons

Good Morning David,
I am the one that bought the EMCO PC 50 that was in Tennessee.
I have not received it yet.
I did look closely at the photo and saw lathe parts.
After it gets here I'll go thru it and see if there things I can not use.
This RS485 card you talked about, this is the card that is in the computer, right?
We'll talk again.

Tom
Happy Holidays to you to.

@clpeDev

Hi all, for$ 200 I can assemble a RS485 card.

David Rabenius

Tom:
  Thank you for responding! That box contained many Lathe parts. Also some of the manuals were for the lathe series. I actually spoke to the owner that listed the auction. He was how I say not the most honest person. He stated that he owns a shop that makes his own parts for sale. I would venture to guess that he knew that the mill wasn't useable as purchased.
  I have owed several mills & lathes from EMCO. I would be happy to help you with concerns. My cell is 919.638.2551. I can also put a value on the various accessories you have.

Thanks Again,

Dave

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020, 2:24 PM <clpe-ru@...> wrote:
Hi all, for$ 200 I can assemble a RS485 card.

David Rabenius

I forgot you need a Computer with a ISA slot & Windows 98 or no later than 2000. The RS485 card is proprietary to the machines. If you don't have a card then retrofitting would be best and give you better performance.
  Call me with questions.

Dave

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020, 3:45 PM David Rabenius <taborboy78@...> wrote:
Tom:
  Thank you for responding! That box contained many Lathe parts. Also some of the manuals were for the lathe series. I actually spoke to the owner that listed the auction. He was how I say not the most honest person. He stated that he owns a shop that makes his own parts for sale. I would venture to guess that he knew that the mill wasn't useable as purchased.
  I have owed several mills & lathes from EMCO. I would be happy to help you with concerns. My cell is 919.638.2551. I can also put a value on the various accessories you have.

Thanks Again,

Dave

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020, 2:24 PM <clpe-ru@...> wrote:
Hi all, for$ 200 I can assemble a RS485 card.

Tom Lyons

Let me get the machine in hand and we will go from there.

Thanks,
Tom L.

arjan.dijk

What do you guys see as the best EMCO control for this EMCO PC Mill 50? Wincam is pretty limited and as far as I know Siemens 840D requires a AC95 (so Mill55)

Arjan

Op ma 7 dec. 2020 om 23:50 schreef <telyonsjr@...>:

Let me get the machine in hand and we will go from there.

Thanks,
Tom L.

David Rabenius

Tom:
   Sounds good. I can help you price the excess tooling which will lower your cost of the mill.
   P.S. I have made thousands of parts on these machines. So I have been around the block a few times. I like to tool up my machines and have the documentation.

Dave

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020, 5:54 PM arjan.dijk <arjan.dijk@...> wrote:
What do you guys see as the best EMCO control for this EMCO PC Mill 50? Wincam is pretty limited and as far as I know Siemens 840D requires a AC95 (so Mill55)

Arjan

Op ma 7 dec. 2020 om 23:50 schreef <telyonsjr@...>:
Let me get the machine in hand and we will go from there.

Thanks,
Tom L.

Tom Lyons

and it will work with the EMCO PC 50 Mill?

Thanks
Tom

David Rabenius

Tom:
   What were you meaning? We're you reffering to the guy who offered you a RS485 card for $200.?
   He would have to been able to write programs and burn the EPROMS. To my knowledge haven't seen this offered before.
   With these machines retrofit with a new controller would be best or if you search for the RS485 card on ebay. Personally I would go the retrofit route as you would be free of the dedicated electronics & have more versility.
   Take 10 minutes and call me to discuss further.

Dave
919.638.2551

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020, 7:51 PM <telyonsjr@...> wrote:
and it will work with the EMCO PC 50 Mill?

Thanks
Tom

Joe Schlawin

David,
I have a PC 50 mill with a buildbotics controller.  It works great but is too small for what I need. It is in excellent condition. Could you give me a ballpark value?  I also have a PC 50 Lathe with a 3 tool changer and power tailstock, all original, never used. Any estimates?

Sincerely,
Joe Schlawin

President and Owner
JRS2TOOLS and TURNINGS
219-671-6751

On Monday, December 7, 2020, 06:03:53 PM EST, David Rabenius <taborboy78@...> wrote:

Tom:
   Sounds good. I can help you price the excess tooling which will lower your cost of the mill.
   P.S. I have made thousands of parts on these machines. So I have been around the block a few times. I like to tool up my machines and have the documentation.

Dave

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020, 5:54 PM arjan.dijk <arjan.dijk@...> wrote:
What do you guys see as the best EMCO control for this EMCO PC Mill 50? Wincam is pretty limited and as far as I know Siemens 840D requires a AC95 (so Mill55)

Arjan

Op ma 7 dec. 2020 om 23:50 schreef <telyonsjr@...>:
Let me get the machine in hand and we will go from there.

Thanks,
Tom L.

David Rabenius

Joe:

   Depends on what tooling comes with it. These are the BEST tabletops out there hands down. I have owned Maxnc, Minitech (Sherline conversions) and the Minitech made mills with Sherline spindles (worthless junk)before using the EMCO.

     I have sold working machines for $2,800. & $2,400. Before 2009. I have seen retrofitted PC50’s on ebay from $3,400 but had been setup for optional 4th axis capiability. Now before someone jumps on my post it is easier to start little higher and settle for few dollars less. I know what the machines are worth to me.

      I just bought a PC5 Lathe for $ 430. Plus $65 auction fees. I would pay for a working PCmill50 probally at $ 2,100 - $ 2,400. There’s 2 schools of thought Dan Armand just bought a Concept mill 55 for under $3,000. Don’t know if its working yet or not and that’s the BIG problem with these machines. I could have bought the same machine here in Raleigh with Turret option for $ 1,850. Last year. I don’t like to buy paperweights, need machines that make parts.

     You compete with guys who visit the auction sites, these machines are usually 95% not complete working for anywhere $850. - $ 1,200. I just got in touch with the guy that bought that PC50 on ebay for $2,500. which was high. It didn’t have the P.C., card or software a basic heavy & EXPENSIVE paperweight!

If your planning on going ebay route you have to figure couple hundred for fees. There is a Concept 55 on bay now for         $23,000., NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!

    If your listing on Craigslist locally start at $2,400 best offer. Make sure that it is running to demonstrate and get what you can. The Lathe without the card & P.C. I would ask $ 1,400 for it as you said its new condition. The turret is worth $500. Chuck is worth $ 250.00. rest of the boards bring couple hundred. You are better off finding a card to make it complete.  If someone offers you $ 1,200 as is then you can always counter or decline.

Dave

[...]

David:
Consider that such an offer has appeared. A copy of the Board works with AC95 and CAN SPS on an EMCOTURN 325-II machine. After selling my stocks, I will post the schematic diagram, the PCB project and the firmware for free access. And I will continue working on the project to transfer the RS485 Board to the PCI / PCI-E interface and a more modern OS.

Oleg

David Rabenius

Oleg:

   I approached several people at work who are programmers for custom high programs for the US Government. Some of the engineers at work worked for NASA & most have PHD’s and are WAY above my abilities in this area. In fact if when I plug something into a receptacle and it doesn’t work I am screwed. They listened to my inquiry and said that it could be done but it would require a substantial length of time & resources. They reasoned that reverse engineering 25 odd year old electronics wasn’t worth their time.  I explained that there was hundreds of the machines that were unusable due to the fact that these schools have legal & binding agreements with Microsoft that basically prohibit them from transferring Windows operating software when selling off surplus computers. With many companies offering “roll your own” retrofits & controllers I can understand why they weren’t interested.

   I reasoned that if  a Raspberry Pi could be configured to emulate the RS485 card would put these machines back to operating status. Actually the Raspberry pie could easily be a dedicated controller. MaxNc  in Arizona had a controller that worked like those on 3D printers in 2006. You loaded your programs onto a SD card and ran the programs off that.  EMCO did something like this when they offered the ACC upgrade. It featured a built in RS485 card (or RS422) with a micro ITX computer built into the machine. You would however still need to use the Ethernet cable to another P.C. loaded with your choice of controller, which seemed Hookey to me.

  In Arizona about 15 years ago local Thrift shops & Goodwill type stores & other places were warned by Microsoft that they would face legal action if they were found to be reselling complete P.C.’s with their software. In fact if you read the old Windows user agreement it states that you are basically agreeing to just use the software for personnel use and agree to not sell or transfer Microsoft software.

   If you have the ability to do this then you will be able to sell many dozen of these interfaces\ controllers. I use my PC50”s with great concern for their longevity. I had a ACC converted machine ( $4,000+ cost) and the micro ITX computer was toast, all of the Capacitors were Chinese made and had swelled up and leaked.

   Again if you have the ability I would be interested in acquiring one. No offence was inferred regarding your abilities or your reputation on this forum. I hope you didn’t take my comment personnaly.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Consider that such an offer has appeared. A copy of the Board works with AC95 and CAN SPS on an EMCOTURN 325-II machine. After selling my stocks, I will post the schematic diagram, the PCB project and the firmware for free access. And I will continue working on the project to transfer the RS485 Board to the PCI / PCI-E interface and a more modern OS.

Oleg

David Rabenius

    Forgot to mention the legality of Universities selling or transferring P.C.'s with Windows operating systems is the mail reason why you find these machines without the P.C. or the hard drives removed. Once you separate the P.C.with the installed card from the machine it becomes a heavy paperweight. Cards are no longer available from EMCO.
  Retrofits are the answer and can be whatever you want to spend. I have no electrical expirence in this area.

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020, 1:36 AM David Rabenius via groups.io <taborboy78=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

I have a ACC box on my desk. It has two wide ribbon connectors to the rest of the control, so I can hardly imagine its RS485/422. It just takes over all connector that are there at the moment to drives/stepper, main spindle/end stop/reference switches/door switches and does its own magic. Its a PCI interface .

I too would be interested to see a alternative for the old Windows 98 pcs I have running. I don't know how it is un the US, but here in Europa many of the PCmills already left the schools, so to find those hundreds of machines would be a real search and you probably have to convince every particular owner, if they have there machine in original condition. So the business potential might be limited, but If you like the challenge it can be a nice on.

Arjan