Topics

Newly Acquired Compact t5 Manual to CNC

Joe Schlawin

I was just Looking at the price difference and wondering why there was such a discrepancy. Is it just the software? And can you get software that will run the more generic kit? Or am I just asking for trouble?

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 9:09 AM, Roderick Mellott
<rodm717@...> wrote:
Are you for referring to just the motors or as kits?
Keling Motors and drivers enjoy a fairly good reputation.
I'm quite sure that they are made by leadshine.
That kit is also very plug and play with little to no experience in wiring or electronics needed.
Acorn is also highly respected and is
Not a generic Bob and also has support from the manufacturer.
Software is included.

As a side question - is anybody else here using pokey's control boards and drivers?

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018, 10:51 PM Joe Schlawin <jrs2tools@...> wrote:

From: David Rabenius via Groups.Io <swedeson2002=yahoo.com@groups.io>
To: Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 7:52 PM
Subject: Re: [Emco-CNC-Users] Newly Acquired Compact t5 Manual to CNC Conversion

Dieter::
  The motors were made by Superior electric to EMCO Maiers specs, not off the shelf motors. I had one go bad on me in 1998 and called EMCO for a new one. They wanted $450.00 EACH, plus the board was toast and didn't bother to ask that price. These early motors suffered a catastrophic failures when something on the board failed the stepper usually was taken out as well. Believe they were 1.8 degree step as well.
 At the time I priced Pacific Scientific steppers and they were considered higher end and they were $ 150 each with Leds encoders, 145oz.
  The CNC5 & PC5 lathes used the same motors. The 50 series switched motors to 5 phase design until the 55 series came out and the motors were changed again.
   The design on the CNC5 dates back to the 1980's technology. The CNC 5 was one of if not the first educational trainers available as well and broke new ground. My friend had a Denford Orac lathe, pretty much the same siz of a EMCO compact 8 lathe but used Nema 32 sized motors., MUCH more Iron that the Compact 5 series.

Dave

On ‎Tuesday‎, ‎October‎ ‎23‎, ‎2018‎ ‎01‎:‎03‎:‎33‎ ‎PM‎ ‎EDT, David Rabenius via Groups.Io <swedeson2002=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I use the emco quick change toolholders & the shorter factory DCMT221 insert holders. 1\2 is about max unless you start modifying the underside of the toolholder.

On ‎Tuesday‎, ‎October‎ ‎23‎, ‎2018‎ ‎08‎:‎22‎:‎27‎ ‎AM‎ ‎EDT, Dieter <d.kirchesch@...> wrote:

-    It was either 60 oz. or 80 oz. They weren't true steppers and were custom made for EMCO Maier.
-  Dave

Were this motors exactly the same as in Compact 5 CNC with 72 steps/rev and reluctance type instead of hybrid?
The motors are of poor quality compared to other brands.

Dieter

David Rabenius

Joe:
  Stick with the 1/4 inch shafts. 280 oz motors are WAY overkill, over 4X what was designed. Do you have a 2,800H.P. motor in your car?? If you need a bigger machine just get a 120P turn and forget about the 50 & 55 series. On ebay there were 2 155PCturns that went cheap, under $2k,you cant buy a converted Sherline for that!!

<rodm717@...> wrote:
[...]

Roderick Mellott

The Automation Technologies kit is plug and play and would require a lot less knowledge to get it running and the support is there.
The Ebay kit definitely would take more time to set up and get going if you havent done dyi cnc before.
How much time do you have.
Nice thing about Acorn control and software is it is by same company and made to work specifically together.
Generic bob set up with Mach 3/4, again, is going to require more time and effort on your part.
The Acorn kit is higher quality and you are paying for convenience.