Subject: [Emco-CNC-Users] Lost!!!!
To: Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io
Date: Thursday, October 4, 2018, 10:23 PM

I just got an Emco turn 50 from a
school.  They never used it but it did run.  It
doesn't have a computer or any type of control keypad.
It is also missing the power cord, but that looks like a
standard desktop cord.  My question is, where do I
start? What do I need? Can I run it from a PC?  This is
all very new and any help is appreciated!

jrs2tools

Joe Schlawin

David,
Thank you for the reply. I was wondering if there was another way of getting them to work. Can code be entered directly from a PC using a more modern cad cam program?

Joe

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 2:25 AM, David Rabenius via Groups.Io
<swedeson2002@...> wrote:
These need a RS485 Card to use, no longer available from EMCO. The MSD disks can be provided by EMCO, Winnc not sure as these are so old now that you will need a Win98 operating system.
Look on Youtube as people have been using Lineux. what are you planning on making??

Date: Thursday, October 4, 2018, 10:23 PM

I just got an Emco turn 50 from a
school.  They never used it but it did run.  It
doesn't have a computer or any type of control keypad.
It is also missing the power cord, but that looks like a
standard desktop cord.  My question is, where do I
start? What do I need? Can I run it from a PC?  This is
all very new and any help is appreciated!

jrs2tools

Joe Schlawin

I'd like to use it for making prototype pieces

Date: Thursday, October 4, 2018, 10:23 PM

I just got an Emco turn 50 from a
school.  They never used it but it did run.  It
doesn't have a computer or any type of control keypad.
It is also missing the power cord, but that looks like a
standard desktop cord.  My question is, where do I
start? What do I need? Can I run it from a PC?  This is
all very new and any help is appreciated!

jrs2tools

David Rabenius

No, the RS485 card is proprietary for these machines. Retrofit would be best, check out Centroid acorn.

Subject: Re: [Emco-CNC-Users] Lost!!!!
To: "Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io" <Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io>
Date: Friday, October 5, 2018, 2:14 PM

David,Thank

Groups.Io<swedeson2002=yahoo.com@groups.io>
wrote: These need a RS485 Card to use, no longer
available from EMCO. The MSD disks can be provided by EMCO,
Winnc not sure as these are so old now that you will need a
Win98 operating system.
Look on Youtube as people have been using Lineux.
what are you planning on making??
On Thu, 10/4/18,  <jrs2tools@...>
wrote:

Subject: [Emco-CNC-Users]
Lost!!!!
To: Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io
Date: Thursday, October
4, 2018, 10:23 PM

I just got an Emco turn
50 from a
school.
They never used it but it did run.  It
doesn't have a
computer or any type of control keypad.
It is also missing the
power cord, but that looks like a
standard desktop cord.  My question is, where do
start? What do I
need? Can I run it from a PC?  This is
all very new and any help
is appreciated!

jrs2tools

David Rabenius

You can also try Mach3 and breakout board plus new steppers. The 50 series machines are over 20 years old, good iron dated electronics. You will be ahead of the curve with a retrofit.

To: "Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io" <Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io>

Date: Thursday, October
4, 2018, 10:23 PM

I just got an Emco turn
50 from a
school.
They never used it but it did run.  It
doesn't have a
computer or any type of control keypad.
It is also missing the
power cord, but that looks like a
standard desktop cord.  My question is, where do
start? What do I
need? Can I run it from a PC?  This is
all very new and any help
is appreciated!

jrs2tools

marty_in_mesa

Centroid Acorn is a good option as well.
I'm doing a CNC 5 now. Almost done.
martyscncgarage on YouTube

 To: "Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io" <Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io>

  Date: Thursday, October
 4, 2018, 10:23 PM

  I just got an Emco turn
 50 from a
  school.
 They never used it but it did run.  It
  doesn't have a
 computer or any type of control keypad.
  It is also missing the
 power cord, but that looks like a
  standard desktop cord.  My question is, where do
  start? What do I
 need? Can I run it from a PC?  This is
  all very new and any help
 is appreciated!

  jrs2tools

wild_kow

Not that it really makes any difference to your needs but the PC50 machines use the RS232 board and the PC55 machines the RS485.

Sadly too many educational machines get separated from the computer which has the RS board. People who have the task of disposing of the equipment do not realise that the computer with the RS board is an integral part of the machine.

A machine without its RS board is therefore of reduced value.

If contact with the college is available, can you ask if the computer is still on site.

John

 To: "Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io" <Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io>

  Date: Thursday, October
 4, 2018, 10:23 PM

  I just got an Emco turn
 50 from a
  school.
 They never used it but it did run.  It
  doesn't have a
 computer or any type of control keypad.
  It is also missing the
 power cord, but that looks like a
  standard desktop cord.  My question is, where do
  start? What do I
 need? Can I run it from a PC?  This is
  all very new and any help
 is appreciated!

  jrs2tools

David Rabenius

Actually you have it backwards. The 50's use the RS485 card and the 55 series use the RS422 cards. Some early 55's still used the RS485 card. The cards are not lathe\mill specific.
Last EMCO price was over $1,200.
The seperation issue was due to Microsofts agreement. It was illegal to sell, transfer the loaded software and they were VERY lawyer happy to sue anyone. At one point they went after Goodwill, thrift stores with lawsuits.

To: "emco-cnc-users@groups.io" <emco-cnc-users@groups.io>
Date: Friday, October 5, 2018, 4:09 PM

Not that it really makes any difference to your needs but
the PC50 machines use the RS232 board and the PC55 machines
the RS485.

Sadly too many educational machines get separated from the
computer which has the RS board. People who have the task of
disposing of the equipment do not realise that the computer
with the RS board is an integral part of the machine.

A machine without its RS board is therefore of reduced
value.

If contact with the college is available, can you ask if the
computer is still on site.

John

Get Outlook for Android

From:
Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io <Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io> on
behalf of David Rabenius via Groups.Io
<swedeson2002=yahoo.com@groups.io>

Sent: Friday, October 5, 2018 7:34:05 PM

To: Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io

wrote:

 To: "Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io"
<Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io>

  Date: Thursday, October

 4, 2018, 10:23 PM

  I just got an Emco turn

 50 from a

  school.

 They never used it but it did run.  It

  doesn't have a

 computer or any type of control keypad.

  It is also missing the

 power cord, but that looks like a

  standard desktop cord.  My question is, where do

  start? What do I

 need? Can I run it from a PC?  This is

  all very new and any help

 is appreciated!

  jrs2tools

Joe Schlawin

I'm sure I'm oversimplifying this but isn't it just a matter of sending the right codes to the right servo?

  Date: Thursday, October

 4, 2018, 10:23 PM

  I just got an Emco turn

 50 from a

  school.

 They never used it but it did run.  It

  doesn't have a

 computer or any type of control keypad.

  It is also missing the

 power cord, but that looks like a

  standard desktop cord.  My question is, where do

  start? What do I

 need? Can I run it from a PC?  This is

  all very new and any help

 is appreciated!

  jrs2tools

David Rabenius

Joe
Nope, tbe CNC works like your inkjet printer. The CNC uses the steppers to make so many steps per command. So it is measured in so many steps per inch, some machines will take hundreds to thousands of steps to move the slide per axis inch.
The machines in these 50 & 55 series are stepper motors. 50's use 5 phase steppers & the 55 series use 3 I believe. The interface card does just that connects the machine & computer so they can communicate with eachother. These are sophisticated machines and can pre read a lone of code to see if the command can be done. If not the machine is very protected against overload.
The 50 's were designed for educational courses, no 1200 ipm rapids or 10k spindles.

To: "Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io" <Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io>
Date: Friday, October 5, 2018, 5:56 PM

I'm sure I'm
oversimplifying this but isn't it just a matter of
sending the right codes to the right servo?

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 5:40 PM, David Rabenius via
Groups.Io<swedeson2002=yahoo.com@groups.io>
wrote: Actually you have it backwards. The 50's use
the RS485 card and the 55 series use the RS422 cards. Some
early 55's still used the RS485 card. The cards are not
lathe\mill specific.
Last EMCO price was over $1,200.
  The seperation issue
was due to Microsofts agreement. It was illegal to sell,
transfer the loaded software and they were VERY lawyer happy
to sue anyone. At one point they went after  Goodwill,
thrift stores with lawsuits.
On Fri, 10/5/18, wild_kow
<jwild@...>
wrote:

Subject: Re:
[Emco-CNC-Users] Lost!!!!
To: "emco-cnc-users@groups.io"
<emco-cnc-users@groups.io>

Sent: Friday, October 5,
2018 7:34:05 PM

To: Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io

[Emco-CNC-Users] Lost!!!!

No, the
RS485 card is proprietary
for these machines. Retrofit would
be best, check out
Centroid acorn.

On Fri, 10/5/18, Joe
Schlawin <jrs2tools@...>
wrote:

[Emco-CNC-Users] Lost!!!!

 To:
"Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io"
<Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io>

 Date: Friday, October
5, 2018, 2:14 PM

 David,Thank

 you for the reply. I
was wondering if there was another
way

 of getting them to
work. Can code be entered directly from

 PC using a more modern
cad cam program?

 Joe

 On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at
2:25 AM, David Rabenius via

 Groups.Io<swedeson2002=yahoo.com@groups.io>

 wrote:   These need a
RS485 Card to use, no longer

 available from EMCO. The MSD disks can be provided by
EMCO,

 Winnc not sure as these
are so old now that you will need

 Win98 operating
system.

 Look on Youtube as
people have been using Lineux.

 what are
you planning on making??

 On Thu, 10/4/18,
<jrs2tools@...>

 wrote:

  Subject:
[Emco-CNC-Users]

 Lost!!!!

  To: Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io

  Date: Thursday,
October

 4, 2018, 10:23 PM

  I just got an Emco
turn

 50 from a

  school.

 They never used it but
it did run.  It

  doesn't have a

 computer or any type of
control keypad.

  It is also missing
the

 power cord, but that
looks like a

  standard desktop
cord.  My question is, where do

  start? What do I

 need? Can I run it from
a PC?  This is

  all very new and any
help

 is appreciated!

  jrs2tools

Joe Schlawin

David,
If I am understanding this correctly, upgrading the 50 with different controllers would be an improvement because the lathe would work but it would be a step back in safety and machine  protection.

  Date: Thursday, October

 4, 2018, 10:23 PM

  I just got an Emco turn

 50 from a

  school.

 They never used it but it did run.  It

  doesn't have a

 computer or any type of control keypad.

  It is also missing the

 power cord, but that looks like a

  standard desktop cord.  My question is, where do

  start? What do I

 need? Can I run it from a PC?  This is

  all very new and any help

 is appreciated!

  jrs2tools

marty_in_mesa

Explain your statement, "step back in safety and machine protection"
All motion control systems I know of allow for saftey interlocks. It's up to the builder to incorporate them.

Marty

  Date: Thursday, October

 4, 2018, 10:23 PM

  I just got an Emco turn

 50 from a

  school.

 They never used it but it did run.  It

  doesn't have a

 computer or any type of control keypad.

  It is also missing the

 power cord, but that looks like a

  standard desktop cord.  My question is, where do

  start? What do I

 need? Can I run it from a PC?  This is

  all very new and any help

 is appreciated!

  jrs2tools

Joe Schlawin

From what I have read these machines have a lot of safety features because they are designed for students. From what they said, most machines aren't set up as "strict" because they are designed to be used by more experienced operators

  Date: Thursday, October

 4, 2018, 10:23 PM

  I just got an Emco turn

 50 from a

  school.

 They never used it but it did run.  It

  doesn't have a

 computer or any type of control keypad.

  It is also missing the

 power cord, but that looks like a

  standard desktop cord.  My question is, where do

  start? What do I

 need? Can I run it from a PC?  This is

  all very new and any help

 is appreciated!

  jrs2tools

marty_in_mesa

You can build those safety features back into it if you so choose.
Without the comm board that goes in the PC your options are pretty limited.

From what I have read these machines have a lot of safety features because they are designed for students. From what they said, most machines aren't set up as "strict" because they are designed to be used by more experienced operators

  Date: Thursday, October

 4, 2018, 10:23 PM

  I just got an Emco turn

 50 from a

  school.

 They never used it but it did run.  It

  doesn't have a

 computer or any type of control keypad.

  It is also missing the

 power cord, but that looks like a

  standard desktop cord.  My question is, where do

  start? What do I

 need? Can I run it from a PC?  This is

  all very new and any help

 is appreciated!

  jrs2tools

David Rabenius

Guys
Not bragging here but I have owned 8 of these machines. Made Hundreds of parts on them. The 50 series machines have a whole catalig of faults & errors thst are listed in the manual. They cover programming errors cofes, spindle overload and axix overloads.
If one pushes the machine it will stop and display a code on the screen, done that few times. These machines can snap a quarter inch endmill easily. The machine most of the time will restart but sometimes you have to reboot the system.
Some guys think more is better, kinda like taking a car engine and hopping it up but ignorong the brakes & suspension.
Factory machines have steppers that if memory is correct like less than 80 inch holding. The bearings in yhe lathe spindle are housed in a Zamak alloy and dont take much abuse.
Dont get me wrong here they are great little machines and can hold toght tolerances.
Mach 3 may have some sort of built in adjustable safety features, dont know as I run factory controller.

To: Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io
Date: Friday, October 5, 2018, 7:37 PM

Explain your

wrote:
David,If
I am understanding this correctly, upgrading the 50 with
different controllers would be an improvement because the
lathe would work but it would be a step back in safety and
machine  protection.

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 5:56 PM, Joe
Schlawin<jrs2tools@...>
wrote: I'm
sure I'm oversimplifying this but isn't it just a
matter of sending the right codes to the right servo?

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 5:40 PM, David Rabenius via
Groups.Io<swedeson2002=yahoo.com@groups.io>
wrote: Actually you have it backwards. The 50's use
the RS485 card and the 55 series use the RS422 cards. Some
early 55's still used the RS485 card. The cards are not
lathe\mill specific.
Last EMCO price was over $1,200.
  The seperation issue
was due to Microsofts agreement. It was illegal to sell,
transfer the loaded software and they were VERY lawyer happy
to sue anyone. At one point they went after  Goodwill,
thrift stores with lawsuits.
On Fri, 10/5/18, wild_kow
<jwild@...>
wrote:

[Emco-CNC-Users] Lost!!!!
To: "emco-cnc-users@groups.io"
<emco-cnc-users@groups.io>

Sent: Friday, October 5,
2018 7:34:05 PM

To: Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io

[Emco-CNC-Users] Lost!!!!

No, the
RS485 card is proprietary
for these machines. Retrofit would
be best, check out
Centroid acorn.

On Fri, 10/5/18, Joe
Schlawin <jrs2tools@...>
wrote:

[Emco-CNC-Users] Lost!!!!

 To:
"Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io"
<Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io>

 Date: Friday, October
5, 2018, 2:14 PM

[...]

 wrote:

  Subject:
[Emco-CNC-Users]

 Lost!!!!

  To: Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io

  Date: Thursday,
October

 4, 2018, 10:23 PM

  I just got an Emco
turn

 50 from a

  school.

 They never used it but
it did run.  It

  doesn't have a

 computer or any type of
control keypad.

  It is also missing
the

 power cord, but that
looks like a

  standard desktop
cord.  My question is, where do

  start? What do I

 need? Can I run it from
a PC?  This is

  all very new and any
help

 is appreciated!

  jrs2tools

Joe Schlawin

At this point , is there  Any consensus on the best and cost-effective way to get these machines running?

Date: Friday, October 5, 2018, 7:37 PM

Explain your

wrote:
[...]

[Emco-CNC-Users] Lost!!!!

  Sent: Friday, October 5,
2018 7:34:05 PM

[Emco-CNC-Users] Lost!!!!

  No, the
  RS485 card is proprietary
for these machines. Retrofit would
  be best, check out
Centroid acorn.

  On Fri, 10/5/18, Joe
Schlawin <jrs2tools@...>
  wrote:

[Emco-CNC-Users] Lost!!!!

   Date: Friday, October
5, 2018, 2:14 PM

[...]

   wrote:

    Subject:
[Emco-CNC-Users]

   Lost!!!!

    Date: Thursday,
October

   4, 2018, 10:23 PM

    I just got an Emco
turn

   50 from a

    school.

   They never used it but
it did run.  It

    doesn't have a

   computer or any type of
control keypad.

    It is also missing
the

   power cord, but that
looks like a

    standard desktop
cord.  My question is, where do

    start? What do I

   need? Can I run it from
a PC?  This is

    all very new and any
help

   is appreciated!

    jrs2tools

MakerRon

In my opinion, the best, most cost effective way to get these machines running is to first learn how these machines work and secondly, learn how these machines work. The learning curve may seem steep in the beginning, but once one gets going a little, the effort becomes lots of fun and very rewarding.

Date: Friday, October 5, 2018, 7:37 PM

Explain your

wrote:
[...]

[Emco-CNC-Users] Lost!!!!

  Sent: Friday, October 5,
2018 7:34:05 PM

[Emco-CNC-Users] Lost!!!!

  No, the
  RS485 card is proprietary
for these machines. Retrofit would
  be best, check out
Centroid acorn.

  On Fri, 10/5/18, Joe
Schlawin <jrs2tools@...>
  wrote:

[Emco-CNC-Users] Lost!!!!

   Date: Friday, October
5, 2018, 2:14 PM

[...]

   wrote:

    Subject:
[Emco-CNC-Users]

   Lost!!!!

    Date: Thursday,
October

   4, 2018, 10:23 PM

    I just got an Emco
turn

   50 from a

    school.

   They never used it but
it did run.  It

    doesn't have a

   computer or any type of
control keypad.

    It is also missing
the

   power cord, but that
looks like a

    standard desktop
cord.  My question is, where do

    start? What do I

   need? Can I run it from
a PC?  This is

    all very new and any
help

   is appreciated!

    jrs2tools

Joe Schlawin

I would love to learn every aspect of these machines but how far into the weeds do I need to go? Though I will enjoy the trip of upgrading, my goal is to actually use the lathe and mill. Is there a board, similar to this  GRBL 1.1 USB Port CNC Engraving Machine Control Board, 3 Axis Control,Laser Engraving Machine Board-in CNC Controller from Tools on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group which will run the steppers with a USB output? I looked at Orientalmotors.com and berger lahr but I don't want to pay too much or order the wrong board. Has anybody gone the leave-the-steppers-but-change-the-controller/driver-board-to-usb route?

Sincerely,
Joe Schlawin
President and Owner
JRS2TOOLS and TURNINGS
219-671-6751

Date: Friday, October 5, 2018, 7:37 PM

Explain your

wrote:
[...]

[Emco-CNC-Users] Lost!!!!

  Sent: Friday, October 5,
2018 7:34:05 PM

[Emco-CNC-Users] Lost!!!!

  No, the
  RS485 card is proprietary
for these machines. Retrofit would
  be best, check out
Centroid acorn.

  On Fri, 10/5/18, Joe
Schlawin <jrs2tools@...>
  wrote:

[Emco-CNC-Users] Lost!!!!

   Date: Friday, October
5, 2018, 2:14 PM

[...]

   wrote:

    Subject:
[Emco-CNC-Users]

   Lost!!!!

    Date: Thursday,
October

   4, 2018, 10:23 PM

    I just got an Emco
turn

   50 from a

    school.

   They never used it but
it did run.  It

    doesn't have a

   computer or any type of
control keypad.

    It is also missing
the

   power cord, but that
looks like a

    standard desktop
cord.  My question is, where do

    start? What do I

   need? Can I run it from
a PC?  This is

    all very new and any
help

   is appreciated!

    jrs2tools

MakerRon

There are tons of videos on YouTube regarding updating or converting small lathes and mills. It might be simpler to just get what you have working. I think I recall someone responded with what sort of interface card you need in a PC and where to get, I think it was disks to facilitate the software install. Either way you will learn what makes your machine work.
For me, I'm converting all my machines to centroid acorn. I need rock solid performance and commonality across everything from a plasma table, laser table, emco lathe, tubing bender to a grizzly manual mill. What is good for me though probably won't make sense to someone else.

Date: Friday, October 5, 2018, 7:37 PM

Explain your

wrote:
[...]

[Emco-CNC-Users] Lost!!!!

[...]