Topics

Looking for ACC controler

cedricgbs@...

Hello guys,

I'm looking for an ACC controler unit or the boards inside it, mainly the mother board.

Might have someone who retrofited his mill there ?

I have a concept mill which the controler seems to be dead.
Before I jump in a retrofit, I'd like to try the board replacement.

Thanks

Joe Schlawin

I have a pc 50 mill and lathe. Both were working but the pc was trashed and there is no software. I'm planning on replacing all the electronics and steppers. Interested?

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 8:49 AM, cedricgbs@...
<cedricgbs@...> wrote:
Hello guys,

I'm looking for an ACC controler unit or the boards inside it, mainly the mother board.

Might have someone who retrofited his mill there ?

I have a concept mill which the controler seems to be dead.
Before I jump in a retrofit, I'd like to try the board replacement.

Thanks

cedricgbs@...

Hi Joe

Yes !
Can you just show some pics to see if it could suit with my need please ?

Many thanks

David Rabenius

The ACC was a expensive conversion, $5,000. from EMCO Maier, very few were done and they included a minature ATX computer inside. One needed the controller software for the new external computer. A ethernet cable was the connection between the 2.
I had one but the ATX computer board was toast, all of the caps were chinese and had swelled, bought new ones and had them installed.
I would personally just retrofit the machine to modern controller & use any modern computer myself. Especially if you are missing software, console,etc.

Subject: Re: [Emco-CNC-Users] Looking for ACC controler
To: Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io
Date: Friday, October 19, 2018, 2:04 PM

Hi Joe

Yes !
Can
you just show some pics to see if it could suit with my need
please ?

Many thanks

cedricgbs@...

David,
I agree with you at the first stage.
Unfortunately, this mill will be used to train students on bases of machining.
The school only accept the original soft.

I have anything :
- software,
- licence,
- drivers,
- ACC program

As you can see,  the only things missing are those boards...
To replace the faulty ones.

The quote made by Emco was impossible to swallow... So here I am :-)

marty_in_mesa

You are better off having the machine(s) retrofitted if you don't have the parts or software.
Look at Centroid Acorn.
I just refitted a CNC5 with Centroid CNC Acorn, a new 3 phase motor that was a directl replacement, hybrid closed loop motors.
Modern control, kids will learn more easily.
BUT you  have to do the retrofit or have someone do it.

Cost of parts to do this level of conversion was a little over $2k (including control, PC, axis motors, VFD, new spindle motor, spindle encoder etc.). There are lesser alternatives but my customer makes money with his machines and wanted commercial reliability.

There are other controls(Mach3/Mach4 etc)  that could be used and you could likely reuse some of what you already have and save on cost.

Marty
YouTube: martyscncgarage

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 11:39 AM <cedricgbs@...> wrote:
David,
I agree with you at the first stage.
Unfortunately, this mill will be used to train students on bases of machining.
The school only accept the original soft.

I have anything :
- software,
- licence,
- drivers,
- ACC program

As you can see,  the only things missing are those boards...
To replace the faulty ones.

The quote made by Emco was impossible to swallow... So here I am :-)

cedricgbs@...

I agree with you too Marty.

Retrofit implicate to move for another software.
All the courses are made with WinNc.
We supposed to move to Camconcept, but next year...

If it was for my personnal use, I would make the retrofit a long time before, but it's like that.

No other choice than those boards... :-(

marty_in_mesa

Good luck...

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018, 12:02 PM <cedricgbs@...> wrote:
I agree with you too Marty.

Retrofit implicate to move for another software.
All the courses are made with WinNc.
We supposed to move to Camconcept, but next year...

If it was for my personnal use, I would make the retrofit a long time before, but it's like that.

No other choice than those boards... :-(

cedricgbs@...

Thank you

Let's cross the fingers that Joe can help !

David Rabenius

I will look up the buyer that bought my pcmill55 that had the ACC conversion. He may have done a retrofit to a new controller.
I checked with the dealer here and he wasnt too hip on that conversion, said it was a cluster f##k, and not worth the headache. I dont know why a second computer was needed when the MINI ATX was installed inside the cabinet.

To: Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io

Date: Friday, October 19, 2018, 2:04
PM

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 3:12 PM, cedricgbs@...
<cedricgbs@...> wrote:
Thank you

Let's cross the fingers that Joe can help !

cedricgbs@...

Thank you David, I appreciate.

I think the mini ATX might be for replace the ACC, and the second one is for control the first one which is settled as ACC for the machine.

cedricgbs@...

Joe !!!! You are the boss !!!

The one I need is the second one on your pics, the one which is written ACC on it.

We discuss the money and logistic in private

Thank you very vrey much guy !

Waiting for your message on my email : cedricgbs@...

David Rabenius

No both are required for the conversion, do you have the spwcial bracketry & back panel for the cabinet? The ACC is shown in the pics installed

To: Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io
Date: Friday, October 19, 2018, 5:08 PM

Thank you David, I
appreciate.

I think the
mini ATX might be for replace the ACC, and the second one is
for control the first one which is settled as ACC for the
machine.

cedricgbs@...

I do have the brackets

See picture of mine inside the cabinet.

Joe Schlawin

David, If I wanted to do a total retro of a pc 50, is there anything I need to save besides the mill? Does anyone offer a turnkey system?

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 6:23 PM, cedricgbs@...
<cedricgbs@...> wrote:
I do have the brackets

See picture of mine inside the cabinet.

David Rabenius

Joe
  Retrofits can be whatever you want, I have seen on youtube where people use Linux and a new breakout board & axis cards. They reuse the powersupply and the factory VFD. The original factory controller was sophisticated for its time ( early 1990's) and the steppers were 5 phase which required more sophisticated electronics to drive them. The 55 series used newer tech. steppers and if you look on ebay, there's some from time to time cheaply.
  Depending on how you are using the machine ie: to make money with or farting around  would determine how much money you invest. I could tell you that you need a Ferrari but you may not have the budget for one. Myself I need to make parts and not screw with trying to figure out retrofits. Marty Escarga has done a few EMCO machines now and posted on you tube. I know him as I lived in AZ. and met him at the valley Metal club meetings. He also helped me with my Super 11 CD lathe when the switch ( $310.00 cost:ouch!!) went bad. He knows his electronics and has been a godsend to dozens of Valley Metal members.
  You have one of the best machines made, new it was $15,000 for the mill ++ extras. The Lathe was a few thousand less. With the optional console tooling & software you were close to $20K new.
I have owned the Sherline, Maxnc, Minitech CNC machines and nothing comes close. Especially if your doing Aluminum. Mach 3 with Geckos, breakout board & new steppers will run around $700.00 and you will be doing all by yourself. Centroid Acorn system will cost more, are you going to do it yourself or have someone do it for you. There are lots of variables doing retrofits.

Dave

<cedricgbs@...> wrote:
I do have the brackets

See picture of mine inside the cabinet.

Joe Schlawin

I'm planning on doing it myself. I want to use it for prototypes and short runs.  I don't need a Ferrari but I don't want to get stuck with a Yugo. I am familiar with Fusion 360 and would like to make sure whatever I get works wiyh it.
For now I would like to sell the ACC. Will I need it?

Sincerely,
Joe Schlawin
President and Owner
JRS2TOOLS and TURNINGS