Topics

Help needed for newbie!

JDT

My first post. Thank you for your patience and tolerance of my level of information.

That said, I have a 2nd generation EMCO Compact 5 CNC Lathe w/ Milling attachment. Because I am new to it’s use,  so far I have operated both only in manual mode on a few small projects. However, this week while turning a piece (in manual mode) the piece came loose from the chuck and jammed the spindle briefly (about 3-4 seconds) before I could get the power off. I cleared the jam and switched the spindle back on, but it would only run at a low speed. I tried to increase the speed with the potentiometer and it would not change. Then, it began to run at a high speed that was also not responsive to the potentiometer, and finally stopped. I have not been able to get the spindle moving since. I checked all the fuses I could find and replaced the potentiometer to no avail.  When I turn the machine on, everything lights up including the speed display which shows tracking of the spindle turning when I spin it by hand. The tool holder and its mount move as usual with the keypad controls. The only physical damage I have noticed is what appears to be partially melted wiring insulation on both sides of the larger transformer.

Anybody had this experience or can suggest what I need to do look for? I have only a small amount of experience with inspection, testing, and repair of circuit boards and components, so thought I would post here before resorting to find someone to come take a look at it.

Thank you for any thoughts!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Dieter

Hello JDT

link of motor controller and digital speed readout:

https://groups.io/g/Emco-CNC-Users/files/Emco5cnc%20Original%20circuits

The readout is completely separated from the motor controller,so it still works.

If your machine has the MAN - CNC switch, look here at first, I had sometimes problems when switching the motor in manual mode,
I had to switch back and forth to make the motor running. Perhaps the overload has damaged the switch.
(The motor controller has an overload protection, normally there should be no overload, but with the motor completely stalled you never know)
Verify also the wiring, the plugs are often weak.
Try with M03 in CNC mode (if you have the DNC board with the big relay)
If the problem persist it's either the controller or the motor.
Download all schematics and documentations for Compact 5 CNC from the "Files" section.
There is a good troubleshooting document from EMCO which describes the diagnostic and repairing, except repairing the boards.
With the schematics you can try to repair or look for a replacement, people often sell the old boards when upgrading.
But be ware, there is mains potential on the controller circuit on every component, it's not trivial to make diagnostics.
One must remove the board and test on the workbench with greatest caution.

Dieter

JDT

Thank you very much for good information. I will apply your suggestions and hope for success.

JDZt