Topics

Dolphin PartMaster CAD CAM Lathe Standard software CNC Programming CNC Turning

Chile Bike

Does anyone have any experience with this? I am reluctant to put my hand into the Autodesk Monkey Trap, preferring to believe that if I buy a spanner, I expect it to remain a spanner in my toolbox indefinitely, and not to have to buy it, and pay a licence to work with it as well. I know the software companies luuurve subscription models, but who made the most money? The Beatles or EMI? Has anyone used this stuff & can give me a worthwhile answer? is it a 185 quid 13mm polished chrome vanadium ring/OE or a worn 11 ba spanner?
sdk
Simon Kay

arjan.dijk

As my company supports Autodesk Fusion CAM customers I can not give you a neutral opinion, but I can tell you something about my customers experience. Fusion 360 is the most capable system in its price range, there is very much good information online, but there are many different options to choose from. Some cheaper, most more expensive. Fusion offers a pretty well filled toolbox. But if you know you will only need a spanner, there are spanners (Lathe CAM) solutions that are cheaper. Its up to you if you like them better.

Being in the CAD/CAM business for many years, there is hardly such a thing as "a spanner for life" in CADCAM. Computers change, operating systems change (compatibility), the CAM supplier might change or disappear, your workshop might change and possibly your own needs and ambitions might change. Users of old software versions will run eventually into troubles. But depending on your needs, that can take many years and its possible that it might save you some money to buy a one time perpetual license. Software companys want to make money and the subscription model is both to get a more stable income as it is to offer a lower price entry.

If you make money using the software and making parts, you have to value your own hours and how a cheaper solution stacks up against the time spent. If you are not using the software professionally you have to value your free time and the joy that the tool will bring you. If you are not making money Fusion hobby license is still very usefull and free. Only thing is that you can only output one tool per program.

Good luck with the decision making

Arjan

Op do 14 jan. 2021 om 16:40 schreef Chile Bike via groups.io <chile_bike=yahoo.com@groups.io>:

Does anyone have any experience with this? I am reluctant to put my hand into the Autodesk Monkey Trap, preferring to believe that if I buy a spanner, I expect it to remain a spanner in my toolbox indefinitely, and not to have to buy it, and pay a licence to work with it as well. I know the software companies luuurve subscription models, but who made the most money? The Beatles or EMI? Has anyone used this stuff & can give me a worthwhile answer? is it a 185 quid 13mm polished chrome vanadium ring/OE or a worn 11 ba spanner?
sdk
Simon Kay

Chile Bike

Thank you for your considered reply, Arjan. I completly understand the commercal imperative, after all, why would Microsoft not use it if they can get away with it? But there is a fine line between paying for improved functionality and a licence to work. It is very easy to expect that if you earn money I want a slice of it. Look at business rates. The line is choice, if I choose to use my spanner as it is and on the equipment I bought it for, then the deal is done. Having to pay to keep using it, when I don't want upgrades for features I don't need, or for equipment I don't have leaves us in the situation that when the money remains, the service is rubbish. Think business rates. I didn't even get my bin emptied for all that money.Think of the sense of entitlement of your local council. The old model, you make something, I want it. I pay for it - worked for a long time, but that doesn't keep free Audi's coming along.
The update thing has been turned on its head by the software industry. We now have a generation that expects updates on their browser, OS or whatever, and if they don't appear something is wrong. To the extent that software suppliers are now removing the option to disable automatic updates completely (Chrome). What has happened is that the responsibilty of testing of these products has been shifted to the customer, oh, there's a problem, we'll fix it in the next update. Tell those people who lost access to their bank accounts after 'updates' . Of course the US is discoverering the great weakness in updates - after all, do you know where that automatic update for 'security and safety' came from? It turns out not, with endless computers compromised. There wasn't much scope for updates on the Saturn V software, and proper engineers, - not the 12yo's that screed out yards of HTML and call themselves computer programmers, and don't test with a connection dropout - would not accept that type of testing.
So if I was buying for a machine shop with 20 machines and ongoing maintenance, I might view subscription differently. But I'm not, I'm buying for me. There is the machine, that is what I want it to do. Remember Flight Sim in Microsoft word? I wanted to write a letter, not play a game. The idea of your 'free' version troubles me - the investment of learning and drawing is mine, and there at the whim of the software supplier. There is nothing free really. I would rather buy my spanner. Besides, I would want to sell some of the products of my labour, and the wheels really come off your model in that circumstance. I understand your software is very good. But a Monkey trap is a Monkey Trap, and always will be.
Best
sdk