Topics

Cutoff Tool For the Turret

jasengrice@...

Well, since I am basically at the end of my build, still messing around with programming the turret, thought I would buy a nice cutoff tool for it.  I have most other tooling that will fit everything else, but didn't have a heavy carbide cutoff and grooving tool.  Well, being a complete noob to turrets, didn't even cross my mind that a normal grooving and cutoff tool will not rotate in the turret as held like a normal tool.  The head sticks out way too far.

Anyway, watched some vids on youtube to discover the proper cutoff tool for a turret holds from the side.  But I have no idea what they are called or where to find one that fit my PC Turn 55.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jasen

jasengrice@...

I've found a few of the cutoff block tools, but they are all still too long for the turret.  Anyone know of where to buy a cutoff block that will actually fit the 6 turret PC 55?  The 1/2" versions I've found on eBay are 3" long, which will still stick out too much to clear the rotation.

So far, this is the closest I've found, but it's still at least 1/2" too long.

Thanks for any advise.
-Jasen

Jeffrey Kratz

What you are looking for is this  Jumbo Cut-Off Tool and Holder

 The emco used a Seco brand one that is similar but much more expensive. You will just need to cut the blade shorter with an abrasive disc.

Jeff

I've found a few of the cutoff block tools, but they are all still too long for the turret.  Anyone know of where to buy a cutoff block that will actually fit the 6 turret PC 55?  The 1/2" versions I've found on eBay are 3" long, which will still stick out too much to clear the rotation.

So far, this is the closest I've found, but it's still at least 1/2" too long.

Thanks for any advise.
-Jasen

Jasen Grice <jasengrice@...>

Thank you so much!  Now to find one of those carbide insert holder for blade blocks to fit this one….LOL.  At least this one is clearly labeled with the sizes it takes.

Thank you!

-Jasen

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I've found a few of the cutoff block tools, but they are all still too long for the turret.  Anyone know of where to buy a cutoff block that will actually fit the 6 turret PC 55?  The 1/2" versions I've found on eBay are 3" long, which will still stick out too much to clear the rotation.

So far, this is the closest I've found, but it's still at least 1/2" too long.

Thanks for any advise.

-Jasen

Jeffrey Kratz

Not for anything but at the size and speed of a small lathe you are actually better of with HSS. Most of the carbide inserts are molded and not ground. High speed steel can hold a much keener edge then carbide. Parting is usually done at a much slower speeds so the edge will hold up well. the real key is plenty of lube and a good feed rate based on chip load. The biggest mistake with parting is too slow a feed rate and too slow of a spindle speed. moderate feed with a moderate speed will avoid chatter if well lubed.

Jeff

I've found a few of the cutoff block tools, but they are all still too long for the turret.  Anyone know of where to buy a cutoff block that will actually fit the 6 turret PC 55?  The 1/2" versions I've found on eBay are 3" long, which will still stick out too much to clear the rotation.

So far, this is the closest I've found, but it's still at least 1/2" too long.

Thanks for any advise.
-Jasen

cjlear

On 18/04/2018 10:00 AM, Jeffrey Kratz jkcab@... [Emco_cnc_users] wrote:

Not for anything but at the size and speed of a small lathe you are actually better of with HSS. Most of the carbide inserts are molded and not ground. High speed steel can hold a much keener edge then carbide.

Sage advice. Unless you are using finishing grade inserts (and even then it depends on the brand and geometry), carbide is pretty much a brute-force operation.

Have a look at my ancient video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jQgp5Awezg

That's a 7/32" depth of cut in oil-hardening tool steel on an old South Bend clone with HSS. Same lathe would barely do 1/16" cut with carbide without chatter or slowing the motor.

Cheers
 Charlie

Jasen Grice <jasengrice@...>

Thanks for that info Jeff.  I’ve had OK luck with HSS, but never had a good lubrication system setup and it was a on a manual lathe.  On this Emco, I’m setting up a mister, so maybe with your info and the mister, it will work out well.  HSS should work for most of my parts anyway.  It just the occasional SS that really gives me fits (thankfully it’s rare I work with it).

Thanks again,

[...]

John Driggers

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 01:40 PM, Jeffrey Kratz wrote:
Seco
Hey Jeff - longshot, but would you know the Seco part number?

Juan Posada

Sorry for the late reply. The original grooving/parting tool from Emco is/was a little different. It was a regular 12x10 mm toolholder has been ground to the width of the insert at the front.

Something similar to this. I can send a picture later tonight.

Emco part number 264020 - still available. I purchased a couple years ago, for a whopping $232 incl shipping.

image.png