Topics

Controls for EMCOTURN 120

robbrwstr@...

I recently purchased a machine but it has no controls.  I have watched Marty's Acorn conversion videos and am  impressed with his work.  With that being said I am not a fan of centroids user interface and the need for a pc for it to run.  I may still go that route but I really like the Masso but am apprehensive about the communication with the tool changer.  I am not a big fan of buying the Chinese controller in case I run into issues.  What route should I take?????

marty_in_mesa

What don't you like about the Centroid Interface? Pretty clean and straight forward.
Certainly your choice.
Plus side to Centroid is the hardware and software come from the same company who has specialized in CNC Machine motion control for over 30 years.
Good support too. I have a pair of Emcoturn 220's I'll be doing in the near future.
Best of luck to you in whatever  you choose to do!

Marty

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 4:09 PM robbrwstr via Groups.Io <robbrwstr=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I recently purchased a machine but it has no controls.  I have watched Marty's Acorn conversion videos and am  impressed with his work.  With that being said I am not a fan of centroids user interface and the need for a pc for it to run.  I may still go that route but I really like the Masso but am apprehensive about the communication with the tool changer.  I am not a big fan of buying the Chinese controller in case I run into issues.  What route should I take?????

David Rabenius

I guess it boils down to how much knowledge you have with “rolling your own” electronics. Where do you go when you have a question?, installation problem?, Is there a users forum you can ask questions?

 If you go the Centroid route you have several channels of getting help & answers. If you speak Chinese and feel that they offer support then good luck!

Were you thinking of using Lineux? Mach3?, 4?

I would say your ultimate goal would be to make parts on the EMCOturn,  so I would go with factory support, dedicated forums, user group expirence over some Ching Chong electronics. If you went with Centroid first and didn’t like it then changing out the main interface board would be easier as you would have already done the stepper motors, parameters, etc.

I have seen too many people tear into a retrofit and lose interest. Many fine machines are collecting dust due to not being able to finish a retrofit or having problems that they coldnt figure out.

Dave

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

gsnalven@...

Rabenius message is both ignorant and racist. It should be removed. If anyone is interested in the true state of the art in China I would be happy to discuss. At  this time the regular folk are suffering and there is no need to pile on.

David Rabenius

Sorry,Didnt mean to offend anyone. I am FAR from being a racist. In fact I had over20% Chinese employees in my kitchen. They spoke little english. Once I translated the food prep sheets and were trained on what to do, the Chinese quickly became my best employees.
If you reread my post then you will understand that support of a product by both the mfg. & outside can be a huge factor. I realize most of the CNC components are made in China.
While you are on this post kindly inform the users group of the support that this mfg. Provided. Any forums, user groups would be appreciated.

On Wednesday, February 26, 2020, 09:27:51 AM EST, <gsnalven@...> wrote:

Rabenius message is both ignorant and racist. It should be removed. If anyone is interested in the true state of the art in China I would be happy to discuss. At  this time the regular folk are suffering and there is no need to pile on.

marty_in_mesa

Press delete and move on...