Topics

Compact 5 CNC and Fusion 360 #a6a112001

markus.almroth@...

I have owned my compact 5 probably 15 years, but have never even started it until now, when I suddenly had a good space for it.
There were some problems getting monitor and rs232-communication up and running, but after changing a 74LS08 AND-gate and the 1489 rs232-buffer it suddenly started talking to MFI.. Very nice, but what now? I would like to run it with the CAM-part of Fusion.

Has anybody written a post processor for Fusion to it? I have searched but not found anything but advice to start with Fanuc generic postprocessor. Fanuc seems to have a lot of G-code that doe'snt exist in this lathe though.

Also the Compact 5 enters all data in hundreds of millimeters and fanuc uses decimal millimeter. So any advice would be appreciated.

My lathe has the extended M-codes, but unfortunately it does not seem to have rpm control. Or is that some hack that can be retrofitted? I don't particularly feel like retrofitting it with other controllers. I like to run it as is (except possibly if one could get rpm control)...

Best Regards
/Markus

arjan.dijk

Look at cam.autodesk.com/posts and look for the EMCOTronic post

Regards,

Arjan Dijk
Fusion 360 Trainer and Postprocessor writer

Op do 14 nov. 2019 om 00:30 schreef <markus.almroth@...>:

[...]

David Rabenius

Markus:
  The main problem you have is a 1980's technology processor & quasi-EMCO specific codes.  Especially for the canned G -code functions. EMCO had a DOS based software that you could use with these machines & the later PC5. I believe you can download a copy from either this forum or from the web. As far as you getting a post processor to enable you to use Fusion 360 then you would have to fight the quirky system that EMCO used as far as the machine taking certain values without alarming out.
  I would try using the DOS EMCO software, you can use a RS285 printer cable as long as your lathe has the pig tail in the back panel.
  For the record most ancient CNC's are this way so don't feel bad & get frustrated, they all have their quirky habits. You may be able to have someone figure out a post processor, there are people who do this for full size regular CNC machines, just need to find someone that is willing to take on the task. Last I heard this would set you back several hundred dollars. Best bang for the buck would be to just use the EMCO DOS software, its easy to learn and hassle free.
  You mention the spindle speed, the rotary knob next to the meter is how you adjust the speed range for the position you have on the pulleys. Is your machine a later dark Gray color or the older yellow one??

Dave

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 06:42:10 PM EST, arjan.dijk <arjan.dijk@...> wrote:

[...]

It's a yellow one. Mk4 i suppose considering it has the "complete" set of G-code.

This dude however seems to have spindle speed control using M22 and M26. It seems to me his lathe probably is modified somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OByhZ_XvzGo

I don't particularly feel like going through the garbage to find some old stationary PC to run DOS on if I can avoid it :-), but I agree it is an option.

/m

November 14, 2019 5:19 AM, "David Rabenius via Groups.Io" <swedeson2002@...> wrote:

[...]

I have checked the posts-library and found nothing :-(

If it was uploaded, it has been removed again :-(

I have looked into it a bit and post processing does'nt seem that impossible. Unfortunately Autodesk has choosen JavaScript as the programming language which in my opinion is one of the worst pieces of crappy software ever, but not entierly impossible to handle.

Are you the author of "EmcoTronic" Postprocessor?

/m

November 14, 2019 12:42 AM, "arjan.dijk" <arjan.dijk@...> wrote:

[...]

I rather not share my postprocessor as it is my business, but I helped this guy a bit and he did some good steps:

Op do 14 nov. 2019 om 09:23 schreef <markus.almroth@...>:

[...]

DaneelSE

[...]

cjlear

Markus,

I use the generic Fanuc turning post-processor, and manually edit the gcode file. There's only a small number of lines that need commenting out or a search-and-replace done. I was going to write a script to do it for me, but I'm lazy and a text editor works.

Regards

 Charlie

markus.almroth@...

Really? When I tested (just a facing operation), there were A LOT of G-codes that does'nt even exist in the Emco, and a few that had the wrong values.

Also the output differs quite a lot from what MFI can read. Or do you use some other software to load the program to the lathe?

/m

November 14, 2019 10:41 PM, "cjlear" <tools@...> wrote:

Markus,

I use the generic Fanuc turning post-processor, and manually edit the
gcode file. There's only a small number of lines that need commenting
out or a search-and-replace done. I was going to write a script to do it
for me, but I'm lazy and a text editor works.

Regards

Charlie

markus.almroth@...

Thank you for the pointer.. I'm reading the thread now :-)

/m

November 14, 2019 1:28 PM, "arjan.dijk" <arjan.dijk@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes,

The Fanuc post is far from what you need. It has different ways of cancelling tool offset (T100 istead of G28). In Fanuc you can call G54 as much as you want, not in EMCO, Max spindlespeed for Constant surface feed is different, so you need a lot of hand editing to make it work and you have to do that every time you make a program. As good technicians tend to be lazy, you all should be careful about your precious time and hand edit code with the risk of messing u a piece of a machine by forgetting a line. Follow the thread in the previous link

Arjan

Op vr 15 nov. 2019 om 10:06 schreef <markus.almroth@...>:

Really? When I tested (just a facing operation), there were A LOT of G-codes that does'nt even exist in the Emco, and a few that had the wrong values.

Also the output differs quite a lot from what MFI can read. Or do you use some other software to load the program to the lathe?

/m

November 14, 2019 10:41 PM, "cjlear" <tools@...> wrote:

> Markus,
>
> I use the generic Fanuc turning post-processor, and manually edit the
> gcode file. There's only a small number of lines that need commenting
> out or a search-and-replace done. I was going to write a script to do it
> for me, but I'm lazy and a text editor works.
>
> Regards
>
> Charlie

Roderick Mellott

Its admirable and inspiring what some of you guys have done over the years with original/stock machines.
 But, my advise to new owners would be to update and upgrade your controller and software. Time is money. How much is your time worth? $1000.00 adds up quickly.
 You will save a lot of time and money updating and upgrading, particularly if you want to make parts and/or money soon. New controller and software is less of a learning curve for new owners and a larger community of help and support. And it lends itself to any other current cnc machine. Fusion has free post code for a variety of makes and models of any cnc machine and Mach 3/4.
 My 2 cents. Pokeys or Centroid FTW.

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 4:25 PM arjan.dijk <arjan.dijk@...> wrote:
Yes,

The Fanuc post is far from what you need. It has different ways of cancelling tool offset (T100 istead of G28). In Fanuc you can call G54 as much as you want, not in EMCO, Max spindlespeed for Constant surface feed is different, so you need a lot of hand editing to make it work and you have to do that every time you make a program. As good technicians tend to be lazy, you all should be careful about your precious time and hand edit code with the risk of messing u a piece of a machine by forgetting a line. Follow the thread in the previous link

Arjan

Op vr 15 nov. 2019 om 10:06 schreef <markus.almroth@...>:
Really? When I tested (just a facing operation), there were A LOT of G-codes that does'nt even exist in the Emco, and a few that had the wrong values.

Also the output differs quite a lot from what MFI can read. Or do you use some other software to load the program to the lathe?

/m

November 14, 2019 10:41 PM, "cjlear" <tools@...> wrote:

> Markus,
>
> I use the generic Fanuc turning post-processor, and manually edit the
> gcode file. There's only a small number of lines that need commenting
> out or a search-and-replace done. I was going to write a script to do it
> for me, but I'm lazy and a text editor works.
>
> Regards
>
> Charlie

David Rabenius

     How true!, main problem is most of us don't know electronics well enough to pick & choose components. Some are best buying a converted ready to run retrofitted machine. There are many variables in choosing what works best with what. I have spoken with the forum owner as he has done several Centroid retrofits for clients with good results. Guys tend to overdo the Stepper motor size without realizing that they could do damage if they crash the machine. The factory quasi-steppers of the machines only had less than 80 oz. inch motors, don't know about the PC50 & 55 machines.
Many people buy these machines incomplete and don't realize it. They see them on ebay and think cheapest is best. They get frustrated and with all the required items to get the machines back to factory spec. Some of these are pushing over 30  years old and finding factory parts can be a challenge as EMCO doesn't support these machines anymore. If they did the prices for the controllers would be out of this world. The last price I heard from EMCO on the quasi-steppers was $ 450 per axis!! The later RS series cards were over $ 1,500.!!  One could almost cover the entire cost of doing a Centroid retrofit.
     The machines are solid enough to make it worth retrofitting. I suggested that the forum owner come up with a turn key retrofit with step by step instructions & components as there are literally thousands of these machines world wide. They all have the same basic frames, just things like spindle motors would be the difference.

On Friday, November 15, 2019, 05:35:29 PM EST, Roderick Mellott <rodm717@...> wrote:

Its admirable and inspiring what some of you guys have done over the years with original/stock machines.
 But, my advise to new owners would be to update and upgrade your controller and software. Time is money. How much is your time worth? $1000.00 adds up quickly.
 You will save a lot of time and money updating and upgrading, particularly if you want to make parts and/or money soon. New controller and software is less of a learning curve for new owners and a larger community of help and support. And it lends itself to any other current cnc machine. Fusion has free post code for a variety of makes and models of any cnc machine and Mach 3/4.
 My 2 cents. Pokeys or Centroid FTW.

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 4:25 PM arjan.dijk <arjan.dijk@...> wrote:
Yes,

The Fanuc post is far from what you need. It has different ways of cancelling tool offset (T100 istead of G28). In Fanuc you can call G54 as much as you want, not in EMCO, Max spindlespeed for Constant surface feed is different, so you need a lot of hand editing to make it work and you have to do that every time you make a program. As good technicians tend to be lazy, you all should be careful about your precious time and hand edit code with the risk of messing u a piece of a machine by forgetting a line. Follow the thread in the previous link

Arjan

Op vr 15 nov. 2019 om 10:06 schreef <markus.almroth@...>:
Really? When I tested (just a facing operation), there were A LOT of G-codes that does'nt even exist in the Emco, and a few that had the wrong values.

Also the output differs quite a lot from what MFI can read. Or do you use some other software to load the program to the lathe?

/m

November 14, 2019 10:41 PM, "cjlear" <tools@...> wrote:

> Markus,
>
> I use the generic Fanuc turning post-processor, and manually edit the
> gcode file. There's only a small number of lines that need commenting
> out or a search-and-replace done. I was going to write a script to do it
> for me, but I'm lazy and a text editor works.
>
> Regards
>
> Charlie

marty_in_mesa

Dave,
I did do a retrofit. Unfortunately by the time my labor is involved, it became what I thought was cost prohibitive and difficult for me to support "long" distance. So I decided not to pursue it unfortunately.
I like to be able to help a user and I can only do that locally.

Marty

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 7:35 PM David Rabenius via Groups.Io <swedeson2002=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
> [...]

Arjan

Op vr 15 nov. 2019 om 10:06 schreef <markus.almroth@...>:
Really? When I tested (just a facing operation), there were A LOT of G-codes that does'nt even exist in the Emco, and a few that had the wrong values.

Also the output differs quite a lot from what MFI can read. Or do you use some other software to load the program to the lathe?

/m

November 14, 2019 10:41 PM, "cjlear" <tools@...> wrote:

> Markus,
>
> I use the generic Fanuc turning post-processor, and manually edit the
> gcode file. There's only a small number of lines that need commenting
> out or a search-and-replace done. I was going to write a script to do it
> for me, but I'm lazy and a text editor works.

cjlear

On 15/11/2019 8:06 pm, markus.almroth@... wrote:
Really? When I tested (just a facing operation), there were A LOT of G-codes that does'nt even exist in the Emco, and a few that had the wrong values.

Also the output differs quite a lot from what MFI can read. Or do you use some other software to load the program to the lathe?

/m
Yes, really. Hobbyist version of F360, vanilla Ubuntu RTE, LinuxCNC.

You can see in the attached .NGC the commented out lines that caused errors. The search-and-replace mainly related to feeds, which had the right gcodes but the wrong values.

Just because you can't do it doesn't mean others can't.

Charlie

Charlie, are you trying to turn buffers for railway wagons in 3/4" scale?

Cheers,

Chris