Topics

C5 - Am I missing something?

Chile Bike

I have replaced the original steppers on this machine with ones of a similar mass, and I find the cross slide stepper weight causes the cross slide to lift off the rear flat way. There is a strip underneath to stop lift , but the point if the way is that the cutting forces are directed onto the top flat surface, which would rather suggest that the slide should rest on the way. I'm making a counterbalance to attach to the back of the cross slide, but am I missing something? If I push with my finger the slide sits on the ways, so I'll get god to do that with a bit of gravity. How are you all making sure the carriage is sitting on the ways?
sdk
Simon Kay

Dieter

Hello Simon,

You have to much play in the slide ways, this causes also vibrations. Don't add weight to the cross slide, readjust it.
But first clean the slide from chips, the high play caused them to go underneath and replace the felt if worn out.

In the maintenance manual page 11.11 you will find all information. If the plastic strips are worn out to readjust turn them over and use the good side.
It's a bit tricky, I use a ratchet and a hexagon socket bit is hold in an extension to reach the screws from underneath.
I needed to shorten the extension to adapt it to he correct length, I bought a new one, they are not expensive.
You don't need to dismount the bed as described in the manual for replacing the strips.

If not already downloaded:

In "Files" first page you will find the manual.
Emco compact 5 cnc lathe 30 files Report File
Item's relating to 5 cnc lathe Folder 01/19/06

Dieter

Chile Bike

Thanks for that, Dieter, but sadly, I'm not missing anything. I looked at those scrawny plastic pads and thought - surely not, they must be there to just stop the slide jumping off, but the idea that a 3mm wide strip of plastic in forceful contact to remove clearance in the top bedway bearing was somewhat contrary to all my other machines and any others I have seen. To pass the cutting force through the slideway working clearance is, different. The tool will nod forward on the front V and rotate into the work, and Miss Finish will pack her portmanteau and leave, and as this machine's place in my workshop is decorative brass scratching, that's not going to work.
If I was minded, I'd place spring mounted ball bearings where those bits of plastic are, and maintain face contact of the back way in that manner. But I'm still trying to find out if this has a place in my shop, so large lumps of metal it is. That's more than 1/2 kilo to keep the ways in sound contact, and those plastic strips, after a couple of trips up and down aren't going to help much there.
Best
sdk

On Sunday, 13 December 2020, 11:24:46 GMT, Dieter <d.kirchesch@...> wrote:

[...]

It's a curious system, nevertheless try to adjust, when I got my machine it worked perfectly and I had a good finish, no play.
When dismantling the machine for inspection and cleaning there was no wear on the strips.

Dieter

Chile Bike

I'm sure it's possible, Dieter, but I'll stick with changing the balance. Keeps the back of the machine clear!
sdk