Topics

Add Inputs and outputs to PC Mill 55

arjan.dijk

I have an PC Mill 55 Running on WinNC (Siemens 840D, WinCAM, Fanuc) with a EMCO Keyboard.

In really like this setup so I'm not planning on a retrofit, but I would like to add some additional hardware that can hopefully be controlled by macro's.

Input:
  1. Any switch that can cause a feed hold. I want to build a tool probe and a zero probe
  2. A input that says cycle start/restart, for example to restart a program after a rotary is finished rotating
Output:
  1. An output that can tell my rotary: start rotation
  2. An output that can tell my vice (I have an original emco vise)
  3. Something that can tell the door to open/close

Are these things possible with the original control? How? Do I need extra hardware?

James Long

None of that is possible with the original control.

Aaron Brown

To get it working the way you want you are going to need a new controller.
I have done this on my machine and its not that hard if you are familiar with some basic electronics.
There is only one part you may have to solder and that is a hex inverter if you want to use a cheap 10$ china cnc breakout board.
If you use a more expensive messa board then you wont need it.

You can reuse the stepper drivers and use the stock VFD and psu, you can even make it so you can go back to original setup just by swapping 2 ribbon cables and 1 connector from the VFD.

I did this with mine so i could do all the things you are talking about. (minus the vice)

arjan.dijk

@aaron, that sounds really good and exactly what I want. So you you place the same connector that are on the original board on the replacement control so you could still swap? Sounds nice! This way I would have a usable machine while implementing a new controller.

So you have in this setup:
  1. Endstops
  2. Encoders
  3. Spindle rpm adjustmen
  4. Door sensor?
  5. A way that makes the machine stop if it stalls

After some reading, I think the only way to get inputs and outputs is to install a robot interface, which I have no idea how to get it.

Arjan

Aaron Brown

This is what i am using to start out and get my feet wet into this project.
This board is known as the "china CNC BOB"      (Break out board) they cost around 7-15$ USD

With this setup i am learning everything and making adjustments.
I currently am not using the encoders with this board as it has limited inputs.
I also tied all the endstops to 1 single pin. (This is normal on alot of machines as it taps the end stop then backs off so it just dose one axis at a time and saved me 2 input pins)
This board has 5 inputs
i used them as follows
1 XYZ end stops
2 Tool probe
3 E stop
4 cycle start
5 unsure but thought about re activating the door sensor

However once i get everything running the way i want i am going to sink my money into this
For more info on the these parts are

With this i will be able to use the encoders from the machine. This board also does not need the differential buffer that i had to make as all out put do it by stock.

Now this is not my video but just a quick way of showing how one can replace the original controller with this.

I did not like his way as it could no longer go back to stock in a reasonable amount of time.
So i am making mine in such a way that you just have to swap 2 ribbon cables and a connector off the VFD and now you are on the new controller or old.

Both boards support the 0-10V out put the spindle needs for speed control.
But only the MESA board has the aibilty to use a spindle encoder to see the speed for sure such as when you HOG into a piece.

There are alot of guide on people doing cnc conversion from manual mills, this would be a good place to start reading.
Once you understand if you want to go MACH 3 or 4 or LINUX CNC or the other flavors UCNC, ACORN ect..

Nothing about are machines are new the only slight difference is the stepper motors are 3 or 5 phase but that does not matter as long as you ues the original stepper drivers.