Topics

FreeDos installation help for Emco Lathe 2.8

jonathanp51203@...

Hello, I am a high school student who was asked by my teacher to revive a Compact 5 PC machine. Keeping it short, the machine is fine but the computer running it died.

Using a new PC I was able to make a USB Bootable version of MS-Dos using FreeDos, I can run the I.exe file to install and write (This worked on all versions of the installation file) but I cannot run the Compact.exe. I was able to run a bunch of other files as well except any version of the Compact.exe file.

Do I need to install the Compact Software with some additional drivers or tools? or does the medium require a floppy drive to install properly? Sorry if anything I say is a little bit short sided, the software I am trying to use is older than I am. Thank you for any help, I am open to any ideas.

For a bit more specifics

Hardware : Intel Pentium 4, Windows XP HP Compaq dc5100 SFF, Emco 5 Compact PC

Software : EMCO Lathe 2.5, FreeDos (latest)

David Rabenius

You probably need to use Windows 98 or 2000 as XP sometimes is hard to boot into DOS. I think that your DOS is a shell and not compatible with the EMCO software. When you install the software are you getting the setup screens that you choose or just one screen. Some machines used a Dongle, there was also a article that allowed you to use Linux I believe with NO modifications to the machine. There was an article that had you snip out the EPROM in Digital machinist magazine to run on Mach 3 DON’T DO THIS!!  As you will have to use separate CAD software program.

  When you boot up at the DOS prompt what do you get? You have to do several inputs  like CD \ , then CD EMCO, then EMCO  Compact, it will then  be good to go. I haven’t used this software in 12 years so I will have to check . Do you have a manual?, they are online and it will tell you. If you want to run both Imperial & Metric programs you have to have 2 different files like Compact & Compact M. The Metric measurement will give you .0005 & the Imperial will give you .001. Either way the Lathe is a great little machine.

   If  he software runs fine maybe you could reconfigure the PC with 98 or dual boot. If your just using the PC for the Lathe then just run Windows 98 or 2000. The Lathe software is fine for the machine. The only hassle with that control software is threading, rest work s great.

  I had a PC5 years ago and made TONS of parts on it, just found another one. Getting a 98 computer is easy as MANY CNC machines still use DOS, Craigslist Raleigh usually has  a seller that has these for sale.

Dave

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

David Rabenius

Here is the link for the manuals for the PC5. Go down t o the software section and it will describe the sequence to get into the software programming & running.

On Friday, January 10, 2020, 08:41:22 AM EST, David Rabenius via Groups.Io <swedeson2002@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you for responding.

Yes, I have the manual, but you may be right on the fact that freedos is non-compatible with the EMCO software. I am under the assumption that the hardware is perfectly well. I will try to install a pure dos 6.2 setup and upgrade to windows 98 since that is likely going to work out if anything else.

When I boot up dos, it directs me to the C: drive, I navigate to the installation files and can install the files perfectly, I have used the Simulator which also runs properly, just running compact.exe seems to never run. Thank you for again for helping, I'll see to it tomorrow and give you an update.