Topics

WINNC

marty_in_mesa

While I have the software installed on the PC for the PCTurn 50, the computer I have, an older Compaq 486/DX2-66 has an apparent bad floppy controller. Unsure I can turn the onboard controller off and install an external controller. Computer is running Windows 3.1

I have the manuals but did not get the original disks. So I can't install the software.

What are my options to get ahold of the original WINNC install disks? And then to get the parameters from the old machine onto the new (OLD machine, newer hardware) machine?

Thanks in advance.
Marty

David Rabenius

Marty:
  You just call me I have the disks & can send you copies, also MSD data disks.
Cell is 919.949.1611.

On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 4:36 PM, Marty Escarcega marty.escarcega@... [Emco_cnc_users]
wrote:

While I have the software installed on the PC for the PCTurn 50, the computer I have, an older Compaq 486/DX2-66 has an apparent bad floppy controller. Unsure I can turn the onboard controller off and install an external controller. Computer is running Windows 3.1

I have the manuals but did not get the original disks. So I can't install the software.

What are my options to get ahold of the original WINNC install disks? And then to get the parameters from the old machine onto the new (OLD machine, newer hardware) machine?

Thanks in advance.
Marty

Justin Cornely

Marty can I have some copies as well?

androidge23@...

Me to please, I have daves lathe and it’s lost connection. Need to reinstal the winnc. Who still has a copy?

androidge23@...

I will pay for the shipping and or the download. Any help would be greatly appreciated

marty_in_mesa

While I am no expert, it's my understanding that the  RS485 card needs to be installed in a slot in the computer that has a memory address reserved or configurable for it.
Can anyone that has done this confirm or elaborate?
I have the manuals, but am away from home for a few more days.
Marty

androidge23@...

I have the manual, it states to change jumpers to match a memeory id suitable. The computer provided was claimed to be working when I bought it. I didn’t want to mess with it to much. I did however try to locate an id in the bios and system info but nothing shows. System in 98 states no cards are installed but if I hold down the 232 to 485 change buttons on the keyboard while winnc is open it visually shows disconnect. Makes me think that it’s fine. Changing ports on the card can replicate that, so I think the card is fine, the install was likely botched but I was not provided the original disks for some reason.

wild_kow

Marty,

The RS485 card must be installed in a period PC circa Windows 95 or Windows 98 with a full length ISA slot plus one for a video card, so ideally two or three, see below.

The PC should be a basic model with no built in onboard features such as video card. I had troubles with conflicts on numerous PC's because even disabling the onboard features in BIOS or in Windows is no guarantee that something else will not conflict. Reserving memory etc as stated in the manual is not a guarantee either. Sound/gaming port cards are also a no-no. LAN cards can also throw up problems.

Finding conflicts is frustrating. I bought two identical Windows 98 computers, one for my PC50 mill and one for my PC55 lathe. After spending many hours, disabling every onboard feature including video and purchasing a video card I got the mill to work with its RS232 card. Mirroring the PC for the lathe with RS485 card did not work. I tried every combination that I could think of but to no avail. I bought another PC as above and it worked first time.

I had been lent compatible PC's for both the mill and for the lathe so I was lucky and could study the setup. The one for the lathe had gaming software and a joystick port on the serial card. That card had some keypress conflicts with the keyboard but I could not take the card out because the PC would not boot without it. I did not want to completely reinstall software on a loan computer.

When searching for a suitable PC make sure the video port is on a card rather than grouped with the other outlets from the motherboard.

Good luck!

John

While I am no expert, it's my understanding that the  RS485 card needs to be installed in a slot in the computer that has a memory address reserved or configurable for it.
Can anyone that has done this confirm or elaborate?
I have the manuals, but am away from home for a few more days.
Marty

marty_in_mesa

Thank you for sharing your experience with the RS485 card and PCs you tried.
Mine works with an old Compaq deskpro 486/DX2-66
Marty

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018, 6:11 AM wild_kow <jwild@...> wrote:

[...]

You're welcome.

I should have mentioned but you have just reminded me about processors. Mine runs on a Pentium MMX but the Emco vintage is around the '86 processor series. Later Pentiums lost the ISA slots.

John

While I am no expert, it's my understanding that the  RS485 card needs to be installed in a slot in the computer that has a memory address reserved or configurable for it.
Can anyone that has done this confirm or elaborate?
I have the manuals, but am away from home for a few more days.
Marty

androidge23@...

well, I tried a new computer I bought off craigslist. A Bit newer than the one I was given in age. everything still looks and acts the same as before, even tho this one does not have the funky 90 degree angle ISA slot adapter and does not have on board video, which I attributed any further issues to be. Im pretty sure the software is botched or the card is dead. I do not see how as it was purchased "in working order". any fuses hidden away inside I should check?
It appears the actual communication board inside does not light up, while everything else does.

wild_kow

One thought, is the cable good?

John