Topics

Emco Compact 5 CNC Stepper Driver Wiring

HaMm3r

Thank you for all the replies and information guys! So, based you what I'm reading it sounds like my best bet would be to replace the controller, stepper divers and stepper and run everything off the original power supply. I'm ok with that option and will probably start ordering the parts tonight.

Just as an fyi, in the files section for this group I found a folder called "retrofit guide" and it contained a project someone did where they actually controlled the original stepper driver board and steppers with Mach 3 using a homemade circuit. Basically, they patched into the stepper driver exactly in the way I envisioned and since I wouldn't be using a parallel interface like they did, I bet it could be done without the circuit and chip they used. Still, I agree that the full replacement will ultimately result in a more capable machine.

Sharp.Shooter

Or you can try with LinuxCNC, with “Samco” from CNCzone forum setup, and not replace anything. Yes, capabilities will remain the same in speed/feed department, but you would be able to use gcode generators etc.

Stefan

Sent: 18 March, 2018 2:57 AM
To: Emco_cnc_users@...
Subject: [Emco_cnc_users] Re: Emco Compact 5 CNC Stepper Driver Wiring

Thank you for all the replies and information guys! So, based you what I'm reading it sounds like my best bet would be to replace the controller, stepper divers and stepper and run everything off the original power supply. I'm ok with that option and will probably start ordering the parts tonight.

Just as an fyi, in the files section for this group I found a folder called "retrofit guide" and it contained a project someone did where they actually controlled the original stepper driver board and steppers with Mach 3 using a homemade circuit. Basically, they patched into the stepper driver exactly in the way I envisioned and since I wouldn't be using a parallel interface like they did, I bet it could be done without the circuit and chip they used. Still, I agree that the full replacement will ultimately result in a more capable machine.

Jan

Stefan, I also had an eye on LinuxCNC and the postprocessor by Samco. Do You know, if it works only with the PC5 or will it work with a mark 2, too? If not, can You specify the steps or hardwarereplacement to make it work with a mark 2? I'd appreciate it very much!

Jan

"Stefan Kovačević stefan.cefi.kovacevic@... [Emco_cnc_users]" <Emco_cnc_users@...> schrieb:

Or you can try with LinuxCNC, with “Samco” from CNCzone forum setup, and not replace anything. Yes, capabilities will remain the same in speed/feed department, but you would be able to use gcode generators etc.

Stefan

Sharp.Shooter

I am not aware is it MK sensitive, my PC5 was with the Wellturn upgrade, but following Samco’s instructions I got it to work rather quick. Only hardware change that I did was to set those 4 latches in correct position as per his instructions.

Your only limitation will be 0.5 m/min rapid speed, other than that, in terms of precision (72 vs 200 steps) I don’t think you will see any disadvantage at all.

Stefan

Sent: 18 March, 2018 8:58 AM
To: Stefan Kovačević stefan.cefi.kovacevic@... [Emco_cnc_users]
Subject: AW: RE: [Emco_cnc_users] Re: Emco Compact 5 CNC Stepper Driver Wiring

Stefan, I also had an eye on LinuxCNC and the postprocessor by Samco. Do You know, if it works only with the PC5 or will it work with a mark 2, too? If not, can You specify the steps or hardwarereplacement to make it work with a mark 2? I'd appreciate it very much!

Jan

"Stefan Kovačević stefan.cefi.kovacevic@... [Emco_cnc_users]" schrieb:

Stefan

Emgee Radian

Stefan

The Samco article refers to the Emco 5 PC lathe, not the Compact 5 cnc, very different machines.
The PC was originally controlled by a remote computer, the Compact had it's own on-board computer.

Did you use Linux or Mach for your conversion ?

Marcus

Sharp.Shooter

Mine is5PC, with remote computer control. I might of missed that Jan has Compact5

On Sun, Mar 18, 2018 at 10:46 AM xpylonracer@... [Emco_cnc_users] <Emco_cnc_users@...> wrote:

Stefan

The Samco article refers to the Emco 5 PC lathe, not the Compact 5 cnc, very different machines.
The PC was originally controlled by a remote computer, the Compact had it's own on-board computer.

Did you use Linux or Mach for your conversion ?

Marcus

--
Stefan Kovačević
062-655-600

HaMm3r

Stefan,

Thank you, but I'm a long time Mach user and would prefer to continue using Mach 3 on this machine as well.

Jeff

Sharp.Shooter

Sure thing Jeff, I totally get it. At first I wanted to use Mach3, but I ran on this Samco hack, went on with it, and now, even I have replaced the electronics, I still use LinuxCNC.

Stefan

Sent: 18 March, 2018 3:31 PM

Stefan,

Thank you, but I'm a long time Mach user and would prefer to continue using Mach 3 on this machine as well.

Jeff

Jan

Thanks guys, the longer the more I think about retrofitting my lathe. Profound knowledge and documentation is around in this forum, so it won't be a witch's work to accomplish it.

Jan

Am 18.03.2018 um 17:33 schrieb Stefan Kovačević stefan.cefi.kovacevic@... [Emco_cnc_users]:

Sure thing Jeff, I totally get it. At first I wanted to use Mach3, but I ran on this Samco hack, went on with it, and now, even I have replaced the electronics, I still use LinuxCNC.

Stefan

Sent: 18 March, 2018 3:31 PM

Stefan,

Jeff