Topics

tools for turret

matthew moser

I need to find decent substitutes for emco cutters.  I suppose I can substitute a .5 shank cutter for a 12 mm one.  Can anyone give me a list of tools they have found, a catalog from which to order them and tool numbers and numbers for their carbide inserts?  I need the following:

Right hand cutter

Left hand cutter

Thread cutter (external) RH

.375 diameter boring bar, or 10 mm diameter with indexable inserts

Any help would be appreciated.

m.wg@...

Which country are you living in ?
Have you looked at eBay ?

matthew moser

I live in the US.  The best I can find on Ebay is 8mm shank tools.  I have catalogs and catalogs of tooling but I hope someone has found something really close to OEM tools that they have proven to work.  I should also specify that the tools should not have too much stickout to be able to clear in turret rotation.

m.wg@...

searching for Sandvik and Glanze on ebay or just Lathe cutting tools should bring up some choices of suppliers.
You could use 3/8" but best to go for 12mm or 1/2" square shanks, I use mainly DCMT 07 type insert tools.
If tool shanks are too long and foul the saddle when rotating you can cut them down to suit the turret.
Marcus

wild_kow

The original Emco tooling was sourced from Ceratizit (Plansee). I do not have any tools to hand to check the codes but I think they are from this section below. The 12x12mm tool holders were cut/ground off – probably by Emco - to approximately 75mm long so as to leave just the tool head protruding from the turret; the grind marks are clearly visible on the end. This length also fits the quick change holders.

Note letter at end of code R L or N; right, left or neutral handed.

https://e-techstore.com/EN/category/Cutting%20tools%20-%20inserts%20(mm)/Turning/External%20tools/Shank%20square/MaxiLock%20S/Form%20D

Click on which ever tool shape you require and you are taken to the tool holder pages.

I have uploaded a page capture to my photos folder, which gives the phone number for US service.

For those interested, the spanners supplied by Emco were from

http://www.stubai.com/

http://www.stubai.com/index.php/en/sockets-spanners?start=60

I find that the single ended spanners are comfortable to use and hang well from a magnetic rack.

Page capture uploaded to my photos also.

John

On 18/05/2015 11:45, "m.wg@... [Emco_cnc_users]" <Emco_cnc_users@...> wrote:

searching for Sandvik and Glanze on ebay or just Lathe cutting tools should bring up some choices of suppliers.
You could use 3/8" but best to go for 12mm or 1/2" square shanks, I use mainly DCMT 07 type insert tools.
If tool shanks are too long and foul the saddle when rotating you can cut them down to suit the turret.
Marcus

wild_kow

Now back at lathe, tools I have are

SDNCN 1212 - neutral
SDJCR 1212 - right
SDJCL 1212 - left
STA 1210R - thin right hand tip
NL 12-3 - external thread cutting
NL 1210-2 - external thread cutting (finer threads)
SGAFR 12-1.6 - parting tool
SRDCN-1010-E05 - profiling

Most of these came with other tooling, I would not purchase some by choice but I am not one to refuse an offer ;-)

The parting tool is perfect for a Compact 5, having a 1.6mm cut, it does not over strain the lathe and bearings.

I have a Sandvik 2.5mm parting tool for my Emco Maximat Super 11 and also Plansee/Tizit heavy cut tools which will fit a Compact 5 but it will not like a 4mm cut!

CTFNR 1212 F 11 - right facing
CTGNR 1212 F 11 - right turning

Nikcole mini-systems THE-7-1/2-R is a good grooving & parting tool for thin grooves

John