Topics

cheap retrofit with the Allegro UCN5804B chip

keizer.peter <keizer.peter@...>

Hi guys,

While searching for a cheap (an temporary) way to retrofit my F1 (and maybe also the 5CNC) machines i found this old message here on the beard:

"Hi

Funny, this seems to be the first post :)

A little background on my experiences.
Okay, I own a F1 CNC mill for about four years now.
The native programming for the F1 is in a word SUX.
So, I look around and found the company WelSoft,
its www.welsoft.co.uk and looked at their Wellmill
conversion board. Simple thing methinks, but
godalmighty aint they expensive!!!
So, I do a little research on the way the wellmill
connected to the emco. Having a circuit diagram for
the F1 helps a lot :)

Lo and behold, I came up with a design that works
for the past 3 years.

I use Allegro's UCN5804B chips for step/dir control,
TurboCNC from DAK engineering for the Gcode to Step/dir translator,
DeskProto for STL to GCODE translator and
Solidworks for design.

If anyone need some help...

Gelandangan."

I have searched in google, i have read basically every message up here and also the EmcoF1Mill group.
But i couldn't find any good explanation of how to do this.

It seems that it's possible to actually use the Emco stepdriver board and the original drivers.
Then you just hook up the machine to your pc and use it with Mach3 or whatever and use it like that.

Is there anyone that knows how it works or can be done?

I've already ordered 3 of those chips on ebay, since they're very cheap.
I wasn't sure whether i needed 1 chip per axis, or one chip per machine.

I hope one of you guys can help me out!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Peter Keizer.

(I'll be posting this same question in the EmcoF1Mill group.
If we can figure out how it works, i'll make a nice tutorial of it so others can do it as well.)

cncwannabe

Peter,

You should be able to find schematics in the files section of this or the F1 group. I'll summarize what you will find.

There is a six pin connector for each axis on the F1 Stepmotor board. They are designated X34, X35, and X36. The pin #'s and labels for each axis are:

Pin Signal
1 5V
2 GND
3 C
4 D
5 A
6 B

The ABCD signals match the UCN5804B data sheet.

You may need to add 5V pull-up resistors to the outputs of the UCN5804B. I don't know if the Stepmotor board provides them. Hopefully it doesn't have pull-downs. You may also need to provide an intermediate buffer (CMOS inverters would do) to provide some noise margin due to the Darlington transistor outputs of the Allegro part. You want the logic zero output to be well below 0.8V.

The EMCO system uses the "two-phase drive sequence" described in the data sheet.

Good luck with your conversion.

Walt

--- In Emco_cnc_users@..., "keizer.peter" wrote:

[...]

Hi Walt,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I've also contacted the original poster of this idea, Gelandangan, and he
also replied to my mail. I've asked him in which way he used the chip
and he came up with this reply:

"LOL
That post was made almost a decade ago! I have not used the F1
controller for 8 years now.
Ok, what I did at the time was to figure out the point where the native
motor driver of the F1 gets its pulse signal (connectors x34, x35,
x36).and use the UCN5804 chip's output to feed to it.So in effect, I
get the PWM of the native driver, yet using the Step/Dir translator of
the 5804 (5804 is not a PWM chip).To do this, simply wire the outputs
ABCD of the 5804 to the corresponding connector inputs ABCD of the
respective F1 connector input.
Now days, I use Gecko Drives to drive the motor, and I have replaced my
motors to much larger/stronger 300 oz.in ones.
Good luck!Gelandangan"

It seems like the way he used it is a bit different than the way you
described. But we'll sort that out.
I'll send him an email to ask whether he used it "plug and play" or the way you described it.
I'll also ask him if he's willing to contribute to this thread because it makes it easier to read for other people if all the information known about this subject is in one place.

Thanks a lot guys for helping me out!I really appreciate it.I'm looking
forward to test is as soon as my chips are delivered and i'm also
looking forward to make a tutorial for others!

Regards,
Peter.

p.s. i've also replied to the thread at EmcoF1Mill group.

--- In Emco_cnc_users@..., "cncwannabe" wrote:

> [...]
> > I have searched in google, i have read basically every message up here
> > and also the EmcoF1Mill group.But i couldn't find any good explanation
> > of how to do this.
> > It seems that it's possible to actually use the Emco stepdriver board
> > and the original drivers.Then you just hook up the machine to your pc
> > and use it with Mach3 or whatever and use it like that.
> > Is there anyone that knows how it works or can be done?
> > I've already ordered 3 of those chips on ebay, since they're very
> > cheap.I wasn't sure whether i needed 1 chip per axis, or one chip per
> > machine.
> > I hope one of you guys can help me out!
> > Thanks a lot in advance!
> > Peter Keizer.
> > (I'll be posting this same question in the EmcoF1Mill group.If we can
> > figure out how it works, i'll make a nice tutorial of it so others can

Mike Sharp

I just wanted to mention that I'm really interested in this retrofit.  I'm not yet ready to scrap all the electronics in my compact 5.  It generally does what I need now.  However,  this hack would allow me to occasionally make more complex parts than I can express in ~200 instructions.

  --Mike

keizer.peter <keizer.peter@...>

Hi Mike,

That's why i'd like to make a tutorial after i've finished it.
So people like you can also do the trick with a proper manual.

It's not thanks to me, but thanks to the other people out here who know how to do this.

--- In Emco_cnc_users@..., Mike Sharp wrote:

I just wanted to mention that I'm really interested in this retrofit. I'm not yet ready to scrap all the electronics in my compact 5. It generally does what I need now. However, this hack would allow me to occasionally make more complex parts than I can express in ~200 instructions.

--Mike

Henk Verschuren

Hi Walt,

The ABCD inputs of the stepper board go directly to an onboard 74LS38. So there are no pull-up nor pull-down resistors.
Therefor a UCN5804B can be connected directly to the stepper board, although you could consider decoupling with opto-couplers.

Kind regards,
Henk

> [...]
> > I have searched in google, i have read basically every message up here
> > and also the EmcoF1Mill group.But i couldn't find any good explanation
> > of how to do this.
> > It seems that it's possible to actually use the Emco stepdriver board
> > and the original drivers.Then you just hook up the machine to your pc
> > and use it with Mach3 or whatever and use it like that.
> > Is there anyone that knows how it works or can be done?
> > I've already ordered 3 of those chips on ebay, since they're very
> > cheap.I wasn't sure whether i needed 1 chip per axis, or one chip per
> > machine.
> > I hope one of you guys can help me out!
> > Thanks a lot in advance!
> > Peter Keizer.
> > (I'll be posting this same question in the EmcoF1Mill group.If we can
> > figure out how it works, i'll make a nice tutorial of it so others can

cncwannabe

Thanks Henk. That's good to know. I was too lazy to drag the control unit away from the wall and check.

I would put the UCN5804B right at the connector because I think the circuit is at risk to be noise sensitive. I also think opto isolated step and direction signals would be required.

I was surprised how expensive the UCN5804B is on Ebay. I think I'll post a schematic of how this function can be done with discrete logic.

Best regards,
Walt

--- In Emco_cnc_users@..., "c5cnc" wrote:

[...]

Now I think you don´t need a UCN5804B at all.
Checking out this project: www.stmental.net/~dfoster/emco I must conclude that the EMC2 software is capable of generating "A B" signals through the parallel printer port. These guys made a simple circuit that inverts these signals so now they have "A B !A !B" signals that can be connected directly to the stepper board.

You would only need a UCN5804B (or a self programmed micro controller) if the software can only generate Step/Dir signals.

Kind regards,
Henk

--- In Emco_cnc_users@..., "cncwannabe" wrote:

> Thanks Henk. That's good to know. I was too lazy to drag the control unit away from the wall and check.
>
> I would put the UCN5804B right at the connector because I think the circuit is at risk to be noise sensitive. I also think opto isolated step and direction signals would be required.
>
> I was surprised how expensive the UCN5804B is on Ebay. I think I'll post a schematic of how this function can be done with discrete logic.
>
> Best regards,
> Walt
>

> --- In Emco_cnc_users@..., "c5cnc" wrote:
> >
> > Hi Walt,
> >
> > The ABCD inputs of the stepper board go directly to an onboard 74LS38.
> > So there are no pull-up nor pull-down resistors.
> > Therefor a UCN5804B can be connected directly to the stepper board,
> > although you could consider decoupling with opto-couplers.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Henk
> >

> > --- In Emco_cnc_users@..., "cncwannabe" wrote:
> > >

> > > Peter,
> > >
> > > You should be able to find schematics in the files section of this or
> > the F1 group. I'll summarize what you will find.
> > >
> > > There is a six pin connector for each axis on the F1 Stepmotor board.
> > They are designated X34, X35, and X36. The pin #'s and labels for each
> > axis are:
> > >
> > > Pin Signal
> > > 1 5V
> > > 2 GND
> > > 3 C
> > > 4 D
> > > 5 A
> > > 6 B
> > >
> > > The ABCD signals match the UCN5804B data sheet.
> > >
> > > You may need to add 5V pull-up resistors to the outputs of the
> > UCN5804B. I don't know if the Stepmotor board provides them. Hopefully
> > it doesn't have pull-downs. You may also need to provide an
> > intermediate buffer (CMOS inverters would do) to provide some noise
> > margin due to the Darlington transistor outputs of the Allegro part.
> > You want the logic zero output to be well below 0.8V.
> > >
> > > The EMCO system uses the "two-phase drive sequence" described in the
> > data sheet.
> > >
> > > Good luck with your conversion.
> > >
> > > Walt

> > (and
> > Simple
> > little
> > circuit
> > years.
> > DAK
> > here
> > explanation
> > board
> > pc
> > per
> > can
> > can

cncwannabe

Hi Henk,

That is a neat solution. Thanks for the link.

Best regards,
Walt

--- In Emco_cnc_users@..., "Henk" wrote:

[...]

Orin

This may be too simple for your needs but the conversion found at the link below works and can be done in less than an hour - with a coffee break included....

Works with MACH3 and I would think EMC as well.

Orin

mustgofast2002 <m.wg@...>

Hi Orin

That conversion is for the Emco "5 PC" machine, not the "Compact 5 CNC"

--- In Emco_cnc_users@..., "Orin" wrote:

This may be too simple for your needs but the conversion found at the link below works and can be done in less than an hour - with a coffee break included....

Works with MACH3 and I would think EMC as well.

Orin

vjennuh <e.j.l.bosboom@...>

Hello,

This is my first real post here, but Im also planning to control my EMCO CNC to Mach 3. So the EMCO will have to "understand" step and dir signals. I'm planning to do this with a microcontroller connected to the emco stepperboard.
Now I was wondering if it is possible to do half-step in stead of the normal full step control. So instead of AB - aB - ab - Ab will it be possible to do:
AB - B - aB - a - ab - b - Ab - A

I think this would be great to enhance the accuracy of the machine.

Thanks,
Lars

--- In Emco_cnc_users@..., "Henk" wrote:

[...]

gelandangan

Gday all.

It has been a while!

I am flattered that someone still read what I wrote years ago.

Guys, the reason I use the Allegro UCN5804 at the time is that they are available and "cheap" at the time.
Now, those chip has been discontinued so the price for it is now quite high due to rarity.

On the application, I have used straight through connection from the output of the UCN to the input of the F1 controller. The reason for this is that opto couplers are already installed on the controller board, there is no need to further protect the upstream parts.

Cheers.
Gelandangan

Henk Verschuren

An alternative would be the StepGenie IC.

The UCN5804 has open collector ouputs because it is designed to directly drive a stepper motor. Not really ideal for interfacing with the Emco stepper board.

The StepGenie has digital outputs, ideal for connecting directly to the stepper board. It looks like it is still available at www.stepgenie.com.

Henk

--- In Emco_cnc_users@..., "gelandangan" wrote:

> Gday all.
>
> It has been a while!
>
> I am flattered that someone still read what I wrote years ago.
>
> Guys, the reason I use the Allegro UCN5804 at the time is that they are available and "cheap" at the time.
> Now, those chip has been discontinued so the price for it is now quite high due to rarity.
>
> On the application, I have used straight through connection from the output of the UCN to the input of the F1 controller. The reason for this is that opto couplers are already installed on the controller board, there is no need to further protect the upstream parts.
>
> Cheers.
> Gelandangan

keizer.peter <keizer.peter@...>

Hello Guys,

Time for an update, I've received the chips, so i'm ready to start.
It's great to hear so many positive reactions so far. And i really hope i'll be able to get it work. Even though i'm not really into electronics.

While i'm busy i'll make photo's so the tutorial should be easy to understand lateron.

I'm not really sure if it's a good plan to actually take out the other electrical components. Or just leave them the way they are.

I don't think i need to use the video card again, and some other electronics... But of course, i'm not sure if it's safe to remove them..

I'd like to thank everyone up here so far for helping, sharing idea's and just commenting.

BTW. Here's the link to the ebay store where i've bought my chips. I find them rather cheap at $2.99 each: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-UCN5804B-UCN5804-stepper-motor-driver-ic-DIP-16-/170862478959?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item27c832866f

[...]

I've been busy tonight, and i got it working. Well, not completely.

I've done what i think was good, and when i start up mach, set the pin, step and dir settings my motor's rotate. But only in one direction.

I can't really control it yet.

Anyone with thoughts on this?

It's midnight now. Time for me to sleep.

Take care guys.

Peter.

[...]

Peter Keizer <keizer.peter@...>

Hi all,

I've still been trying to get my steppers work properly. I know the "system" works but the steppers react very jittery.

I removed the CPU, video board, etc etc. all I got left is the emco stepper driver, power supply board and the electronics for the spindle.

On the bottom of the power supply board I took a GND and 5V (pin 5&6) I use these to power the ucn5804b chip and the driver board.

If I power up the control box, without connecting it to my pc, the stepper start to jitter right away. This jittering stops as soon as I grab the 25 pin connector. When I let it go, the jittering continues.

If it's connected to my pc, and I use Mach to control it, it seems like there's some noise in the signals. Like the stepper board gets multiple direction signals and the motor keeps on rotating in different directions.

I've already tried to:
-Use a different power supply for the UCN and stepper board
 -isolate the self made pcb (to prevent noise?)
-grounding the whole system in every possible way
- checked all the cables a million times..

What I've been thinking is that maybe my cables are too long.
And therefore they might be noise sensitive?

As I said in earlier messages, I'm not really a electronically person.
But I do know the basics of it.

Oh, before I forget, sometimes everything just works fine for about half a minute. But then the jittering begins again.

I can make post a video on YouTube to show my problem in detail if someone's interested.

Thanks in advance for your reply's!

Regards,

Peter.

Op 27 jan. 2013 om 00:09 heeft "keizer.peter" <keizer.peter@...> het volgende geschreven:

> [...]

> > I have searched in google, i have read basically every message up here
> > and also the EmcoF1Mill group.But i couldn't find any good explanation
> > of how to do this.
> > It seems that it's possible to actually use the Emco stepdriver board
> > and the original drivers.Then you just hook up the machine to your pc
> > and use it with Mach3 or whatever and use it like that.
> > Is there anyone that knows how it works or can be done?
> > I've already ordered 3 of those chips on ebay, since they're very
> > cheap.I wasn't sure whether i needed 1 chip per axis, or one chip per
> > machine.
> > I hope one of you guys can help me out!
> > Thanks a lot in advance!
> > Peter Keizer.
> > (I'll be posting this same question in the EmcoF1Mill group.If we can
> > figure out how it works, i'll make a nice tutorial of it so others can

cncwannabe

Hi Peter,

Post the video. I'll be happy to watch it. In the video, show all the cabling and circuitry from the PC to the EMCO driver. Also, take DMM measurements of the UCN5804b driver outputs when high and low by single stepping the clock. There could be a clue there. Measure the voltages at the step and direction inputs while you're at it. Getting a reading for the step clock may be a problem but the direction input measurement may be sufficient.

There are many paths to noise suppression. With luck you'll find a short one.

Regards,

Walt

--- In Emco_cnc_users@..., Peter Keizer wrote:

[...]

Op 27 jan. 2013 om 00:09 heeft "keizer.peter" het volgende geschreven:

[...]

Hi Walt (and others),

Thanks for your reply,

I've made a video and posted it on YouTube.
Here's the link to it: http://youtu.be/a5W9GkxKYnc
(Please not that it's a "private" video and only available through this link. It's not a public video on YouTube).

In my video i've made a few comments about what i did and what i've tried to do. But it's kinda hard for me to find the right words at the right time, so therefore i'll also type it out here.

The PCB i'm using is a prototype board. In the back of it there are vertical copper lines. Which connect the holes on the front to each other.
On the place where i've soldered the chip, i cut the connecting lines. So the inputs and the outputs are not connected to each other.
This is only done at the 8 lines where the chip is. So next to the chip the lines are open on the whole PCB.

in my case the inputs of the chip are on the top side of the PCB and that's where they get the step and Dir signals + the 5V supply.

On the bottom side i connected the BDCA outputs to the corresponding inputs on the Emco stepper board.
(for the PDF of the 5804B chip check the files section or: http://www.ucn5804b.com/UCN5804B.PDF'

The 5V power source has been taken from the Emco power supply board (pin 5 at the bottom which gives 5 Volts)

The 5 volt is connected to the right side of my PCB from where it's linked to each chip. So there are three (pink) wires going to three chips. A bit above the supplu pin of the chip i've made a bridge so the power goes also to the next copper line (left of the chip).

That line is used to supply the stepper board.

All my cables are relatively thick, and shielded. (first i used thinner cable and i though that the noise was because of the thin cables)

My the shields of my cables are connected to the GND of the machine and also to the GND of the chip. The signal cables from my PCB to my stepper board are shielded from one side only. And the shield of the serial cable is shielded on both the machine as my PC.

My pc and the machine are both grounded and plugged into the same socket. I even tried to supply one of them from a different power group here in my house because i thought that maybe the noise was in the powergroup.

So far i´ve tried everything i could think of, but nothing seemed to help. As you can see in the video, there´s one think of which i think is a bit weird.

Let´s say that my motors are JITTERY when rotating LEFT, and PROPERLY working when rotating to the RIGHT.

Then in mach´s ports and pins, i click on DirLowActive and StepLowActive.

What happens is that my motors are FINE when rotating to the LEFT but JITTERY when rotating RIGHT.

This tells me that the problem is not because of bad grounding, noise or something like that but perhaps a setting in Mach.
We can let the problem happen on both directions depending on the Mach settings.

But i´ve been trying to solve this problem for over a week now in every bit of time that i could find. But none of my attempts worked.

For the settings used in Motor Tuning in mach i used the settings suggested in the Digital Machinist guide on how to convert the 5PC to mach.
(72 steps per MM, max feed 499MM/Min, Step pulse 3, dir pulse 0, acceleration time 0,5 sec. I've really tried a million other configurations but i think that when finding a source of this problem we should have the same settings?)

My kernel speed has been anywhere from 25000 Hz to 100.000Hz and again, no real changes. however when i use 45000Hz it seems to react a bit better.

Is there anyone who has any idea what is going on with this crazy machine?

Thanks guys, i hope the video has made some things clear.
Sorry for my bad pronunciation and bad grammar in it. I know it sucks ;-)....

Have a nice weekend.

[...]

Btw,

One thing that's not so clear in the video is the jittering.

what you see in the video is that they rotate both sides. One side is just a normal rotation. like it should be and the other is jittery.

But it does rotate.

however, when my camera isn't running, many times it only makes half a rotation and then it just stops. or it moves a few rounds before hanging and stopping.

I've also checked my motor according the Emco guide. And all values are ok. I know my motor is just fine.