Re: Emco Compact 5 Carbide Tooling

David Rabenius

Mark:
  These tools were never offered by EMCO, their machines were setup for the 55 degree diamond tooling. The tool geometries were calculated on these tools also. The tooling you saw on ebay has been avaliable for quite some time, I have this system and it is made by a company called nicole systems, J & L Industrial has them under the "Interstate" brand. They are useful and you can use them on any lathe. The inserts are higher than the 55 degree diamond inserts sold by almost double.
  The ones sold on ebay are modified in the length & the wedge for adjusting center height. The pin is simply a stop which helps somewhat.
The Nicole bars are quite long and the set is like $ 140.00, you get 6 assorted grooving bits and the wrench. Any toolholder you use on the CNC5 with thw turret will require the shorter tooling. If you get the CNC5 without the Turret then you wont have to cut down the holders.
  On my lathes I use the standard EMCO holders with no problems. I even found a boring bar that uses the same turning inserts and works well.

Dave

tincan_alley wrote:
Hi all,

In the near future, I want to buy an Emco C5 CNC Lathe (maybe I will
get one as an Xmas present - I hope SWMBO sees this post !!)

I have been looking at what has been on offer from various sources and
prices / condition, I am still looking at the present time for a nice
lathe located in the UK

I saw some tooling on eBay.com and was wondering if anyone is using
these carbide type insert tools as they seem a little different from
the standard square shank replaceable insert tools that are available
from various engineering suppliers, they come with some sort of wedge
for setting centre height and an indexing facility via a pin 'stop'
Here is the ebay link: http://snipurl.com/EMCO_Compact5_Tools

Are these tools the same as the original Emco tools that would have
been supplied with the Lathe by Emco when it was new many years ago ?

Thanks in advance for any help or info, I look forward to hearing from
you.

Mark