Re: PC Turn 50 Headstock Alignment

lmcinroy

That error is pretty good , you could change the plastic strips on the saddle to see if it helps?
A new set of headstock bearings might improve things.
Before you do any of this , centre drill the end and use the tailstock to see if there is any improvement.

This would be considered pretty good on a manual lathe and at 2" out on a small Dia, say under 10mm this would be normal.
The Emco is well made but at 2" out and on small Diameters you are beyond the tolerance of the bearings

Regards Frank

On 7 Jun 2020 02:25, mmcdade@... wrote:

Hi All,

I use a PC 50 lathe which turns a slight taper (wider by 0.0018" at 2" out from the headstock).  Is there a way to adjust the headstock?  I took the cover off and the prismatic shape of the front way is built into the headstock so that's not obviously adjustable short of scraping.  I tried shimming the far end of the bed like you would level to adjust twist in the bed of a conventional floor mounted horizontal engine lathe.  That didn't change anything and I suspect it just slightly deformed the sheet metal holding the bed.  Any ideas on this?  I admit that the error is pretty small but I sometimes make little optical mounts that slide together and they and I are happier when things are cylindrical.

Thanks,

Mark