Re: PC Turn 55 - Info for a newbie

J G

There is a fair chance that (esp if the smoke was short lived and accompanied by an acrid smell) one of the aging capacitors has expired - a very common problem on electronics of this vintage. It is good practice to replace certain type of caps in the low voltage power circuits as a matter of course. I did half a dozen on my Compact5 - after a couple gave up dramatically.
So, your problem may be easily diagnosable by close visual inspection of the board. If this is the case it often does not cause serious follow on damage to other components and it is generally worth trying a replacement (can be hard identifying the value from the burnt fragments ! ) after basic checking round for collateral damage.
Obv - you need basic skills (elec measurement, soldering, awareness etc) for this and should take care - of course.
JG