Re: Emco Compact 5 CNC options

David Rabenius

Hi All:
  I forgot to mention that if you are making small batches of parts for sale then the retrofit cost is of little concern. I bought a PC5 Lathe and before I even ran it for the first time had a local guy contact me about turning some Lexan rod for a Army project. I ran like 3 parts then he came back and told me to run the rest of the material, like 8 parts total. He told me that he couldn't get any machine shop in the area to do it and he basically paid for the cost of the machine which I thought was pretty cool.
  When I started it was really convenient to just go and make my own parts as needed, always thinking of what to make next. I was at my local restaurant and one of the owners approached me about a project that he wanted to do. It was a Brass knuckle bottle opener. I asked him if he had a drawing of what he wanted, he said no. I told him to use the TV on the Bar to do a Google search for Brass Knuckles. He did so and found a style that he liked. I sketched  the opener he had on one end of the Brass Knuckle. Then asked if it was what he wanted. I went home and did the CAD drawing & CAM that evening. Next afternoon I ran one on my PCmill50 and he was floored when I brought one to him that evening. Look under Drinique drink wear, knucle opener.
  That's how I started machining, local machine shops weren't interested in doing batches of parts, their attitudes left a  lot to be desired. I had one part that was for 100 pcs @ $35.00 each. I figured that I could just buy a Lathe & mill for that and these EMCO CNC machines were perfect. One of the Machine shops told me to bring in the parts that I had made and when they saw it offered me a job on the spot.

On Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 09:56:38 AM EST, Tony Schalburg via Groups.Io <tonyschalburg@...> wrote:

Hi
Im the happy owner of 4 emco machines.
One et120p,
One compact 6
One vmc100
Those 3 with original tm02 controller.
The last one is a vmc100 im in proces of retrofitting.
Its a huge proces to retrofit a mill, and expencive, cuz i want to keep the original berger lahr steppers and the Siemens dc motor. No compromices here. Want to run the vmc100 with Mach3, as close to the original setup as possible.
The ATC, i had a plugin made, cost me 200$.
Stepper drivers, i use original from berger lahr, but updated, cost 600$ each. Siemens dc motor, im using a parker 506 dc driver, cost 400£.
Pwm,relay board and BOB, i got from cnc4pc, all for about 400$.
I have been working on the retrofit for more than a year now, but Will soon complete it.
What i want to say, about retrofitting those Nice old machines, is, if you want to do it, do it prober, so you have a machine that can and Will work for many years to come.
Yes you can do a cheap retrofit, but then you get a slow machine, that can do the job, but the emco machines Are Nice High pression machines, that deserves a prober setup.
Tony