Emco Compact 5 CNC options

marc mcphee

Hello all.

I’m new to this so please be gentle, I have an Emco Compact 5 CNC with a 6 tool turret(the yellow one). It is decent condition and I would like to retrofit it to be able write programs in G-code format. I would like to teach my son my trade as a CNC machinist to help him pay his way through university or even to open his eyes to the world of manufacturing.

So I have been online looking at how the set up goes together from the BOB to the required motors to a VDF to control the spindle etc etc. I have the basics together but I I’m still learning what goes with what.

So here goes, I’m at best a bit of an idiot so help with how you have done with your set up or what you used with what would be a lot of help.

I was told to stay away from BOBs tb6560 when retrofitting a lathe due to not being that user friendly ?? Is Centroid acorn a better alternative or will a simple BOB effectively achieve the same results ?? do I need a 24vdc power box l to control the bob and motors and another to control the spindle using  a VFD.

I need help, guidance and I was hoping to maintain a budget between £400-£600.

Thank you all in advance for any help