Re: ISA computer card PC Turn 50? Moderator: Moderators

wild_kow

An important point is that you cannot use an onboard video processor. This must be disabled and a plug-in video card fitted. That's the only way that Windows can allocate the correct IRQ and address to the Emco Card. Other onboard I/O processors may cause conflicts - excess USB and Serial as examples. Disable anything onboard which is not absolutely required.

It took me a long time to work out what was causing my system not to work - days and cups of coffee! I now only buy older PC's if I can see they have a video card fitted into one of the slots.

John

From: Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io <Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io> on behalf of Jan Emco via Groups.Io <jhoogma@...>
Sent: 20 February 2019 15:39
To: emco-cnc-users@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Emco-CNC-Users] ISA computer card PC Turn 50? Moderator: Moderators

Arjan,

It is not only the Isa card you need. You also need an old Pentium 2 computer.
And it must running under windows-98. And old Dell from 1998 can do the job.  ( the grey boxes )
If you have that all you can also install the unofficial W98 SE-3.  It got many improvements.

But in your case as it is for a school I would advise to upgrade the system to Mach-3 (or 4).
The lifespan of the system is than much more increased. It becomes maintainable and kids can use more up to day applications.
I assume you are living in the Netherlands. There a a few people who can help you with that upgrade.

I believe that now a days the five phase motors that are used in the old Emco's can be used either.

Jan

Join Emco-CNC-Users@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.