Re: Start problem

KR Lynn

I received a thoughtful reply to my previous question in this thread, but it seems to have disappeared. If whoever sent it could re-post, I'd be grateful for the help.

---In Emco_cnc_users@..., <krlynn@...> wrote :

I have a Compact 5 PC that has started up and run without any problems until tonight. When I turned the key, the green light went on, so I knew there was power, but the fan didn't start and the spindle motor would not turn on. The emergency switch was not engaged.

I dropped the back to see if I might identify anything obvioius. I know nothing about electronic circuitry. There is a box under the capacitor with a clear cover and a small red button protruding slightly. I pressed it out of curiosity. I depressed a little but didn't stay down.

I tried the key before closing up the back again, and everything worked. So I replaced the back cover, and tried it again. All worked normally. I turned the machine off in order to get something else ready. When I tried to turn it back on, it was dead again.

I removed the cover once more. After poking around I discovered that if I held the red button in/down when I turned the key, the fan would turn and everything else would work as well. But if I took my finger off the button and then tried turning the key back on without holding it down again, nothing would work.

It obviously breaks a circuit when no depressed, but I can't figure out why it isn't working properly. I thought about putting tape over it to hold it down, but that might not be a good idea.

Can anyone here help me solve this?

Thanks in advance.