Re: Compact 5 CNC - Mach3 conversion

Croonen

hello I have done retrofit whit 5 Emco machines on Mach3 and I am busy whit the 6 one I always let stay the DC spindelmotors on it but I make a small modification on the spindelboard and I put a small pcb in that I have made for to control the DC spindel motor whit Mach3 are another program but you have to put a PWm signal in the small PCB board so I can change the speed in the spindel from 400 till 4000 rpm.
The old stepmotors for that I place new in it and new power supply whit a LeaveBoy 77 USB controller.
The only thing that is not so stable on the Leaveboy 77 card is the speed masseurment.

it si not a problem to separte the DC  spindel board from the rest of the elektronics.

greetings Benny

I dismantled my new to me compact 5, cleaned up years worth of rust and junk, and put it back together. Everything is smooth and tight now. This lathe had seen very little use in a school, with practically no wear. The DC motor runs fine and the spindle rotation is smooth, but that is the only electrical part working. The speed indication remains on zero and although the lights come on, the steppers are not getting any power. In any case my original intent was to scrap all the cnc parts including the steppers, and do a clean install with mach3.
I have a couple of questions:
1- Should I keep the DC drive, is it easy to separate from the rest of the electrics.
2- I guess many have gone this way before me, I would appreciate links to good write ups of the conversions.

Thanks.