Re: cheap retrofit with the Allegro UCN5804B chip

keizer.peter <keizer.peter@...>

Hi Walt,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I've also contacted the original poster of this idea, Gelandangan, and he
also replied to my mail. I've asked him in which way he used the chip
and he came up with this reply:

"LOL
That post was made almost a decade ago! I have not used the F1
controller for 8 years now.
Ok, what I did at the time was to figure out the point where the native
motor driver of the F1 gets its pulse signal (connectors x34, x35,
x36).and use the UCN5804 chip's output to feed to it.So in effect, I
get the PWM of the native driver, yet using the Step/Dir translator of
the 5804 (5804 is not a PWM chip).To do this, simply wire the outputs
ABCD of the 5804 to the corresponding connector inputs ABCD of the
respective F1 connector input.
Now days, I use Gecko Drives to drive the motor, and I have replaced my
motors to much larger/stronger 300 oz.in ones.
Good luck!Gelandangan"

It seems like the way he used it is a bit different than the way you
described. But we'll sort that out.
I'll send him an email to ask whether he used it "plug and play" or the way you described it.
I'll also ask him if he's willing to contribute to this thread because it makes it easier to read for other people if all the information known about this subject is in one place.

Thanks a lot guys for helping me out!I really appreciate it.I'm looking
forward to test is as soon as my chips are delivered and i'm also
looking forward to make a tutorial for others!

Regards,
Peter.

p.s. i've also replied to the thread at EmcoF1Mill group.