cheap retrofit with the Allegro UCN5804B chip

keizer.peter <keizer.peter@...>

Hi guys,

While searching for a cheap (an temporary) way to retrofit my F1 (and maybe also the 5CNC) machines i found this old message here on the beard:

"Hi

Funny, this seems to be the first post :)

A little background on my experiences.
Okay, I own a F1 CNC mill for about four years now.
The native programming for the F1 is in a word SUX.
So, I look around and found the company WelSoft,
its www.welsoft.co.uk and looked at their Wellmill
conversion board. Simple thing methinks, but
godalmighty aint they expensive!!!
So, I do a little research on the way the wellmill
connected to the emco. Having a circuit diagram for
the F1 helps a lot :)

Lo and behold, I came up with a design that works
for the past 3 years.

I use Allegro's UCN5804B chips for step/dir control,
TurboCNC from DAK engineering for the Gcode to Step/dir translator,
DeskProto for STL to GCODE translator and
Solidworks for design.

If anyone need some help...

Gelandangan."

I have searched in google, i have read basically every message up here and also the EmcoF1Mill group.
But i couldn't find any good explanation of how to do this.

It seems that it's possible to actually use the Emco stepdriver board and the original drivers.
Then you just hook up the machine to your pc and use it with Mach3 or whatever and use it like that.

Is there anyone that knows how it works or can be done?

I've already ordered 3 of those chips on ebay, since they're very cheap.
I wasn't sure whether i needed 1 chip per axis, or one chip per machine.

I hope one of you guys can help me out!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Peter Keizer.

(I'll be posting this same question in the EmcoF1Mill group.
If we can figure out how it works, i'll make a nice tutorial of it so others can do it as well.)