Topics

Help! MH3 mic PTT broken, fixable? -Transport, ate POS please.

tony

Ok. As an 80 Englishman,  POS has me beaten. What does it stand for please?
Just as an aside, my daughter lives and works in New York and deals with lots of schools across the US and even now she uses words which totally fox those to whom she is talking, and vice versa of course!  G4LDL.

Michael Foerster

The plastic in the microphones to be extremely brittle. When you take the screws out from the back, the pegs that they screw into almost invariably break off. Right now, my mic is taped together and I need to figure out someway to pour some epoxy inside to give the screw something to attach to.

Good luck with it.

Mike, W0IH

Michael Ouellette

POS means Piece of Sh_t

On Sep 11, 2020, at 6:29 AM, tony via groups.io <tony.ldl@...> wrote:

Ok. As an 80 Englishman,  POS has me beaten. What does it stand for please?
Just as an aside, my daughter lives and works in New York and deals with lots of schools across the US and even now she uses words which totally fox those to whom she is talking, and vice versa of course!  G4LDL.

David Glasser

I address this to the originator of the POS email post!
Do you ever stop to think how the manufacturer (who bends over backwards for radio amateurs) and his staff feel when they read posts like your POS post!

The world we live in today is a tough world, try and be decent for once; for us all!

There are junior members, both male and female, who read these posts, they are not interested in learning just how crude you can be!

IMHO

KM4UDA

David Glasser

Ok. As an 80 Englishman,  POS has me beaten. What does it stand for please?

Just as an aside, my daughter lives and works in New York and deals with lots of schools across the US and even now she uses words which totally fox those to whom she is talking, and vice versa of course!  G4LDL.

Charlie T, k3ICH

Unfortunately, there seems to be a mind-set that to portray a tough guy (or girl) image one must include an abundance of foul language in their vocabulary.

Personally, I’ve always been impressed by someone who can literally take apart an adversary in a verbal joust, without using one syllable of filth.

Read some of Winston Churchill’s most famous quotes along those lines for some good examples.

(He is one of my hero’s too.)

73, Charlie k3ICH

Ok. As an 80 Englishman,  POS has me beaten. What does it stand for please?

Just as an aside, my daughter lives and works in New York and deals with lots of schools across the US and even now she uses words which totally fox those to whom she is talking, and vice versa of course!  G4LDL.

DF9TS

Absolutely agree on polite ham spirited conversations.

I have made excellent experience glueing plastics with this 2 component epoxy glue: https://www.amazon.co.uk/UHU-Plus-Acrylit-3-x-30g/dp/B0776JZXR7
Clean all surfces to glue wit Aceton first. Glue twice: once to fix the parts (brittle) in place. When dry add more glue around to stabilize. Strands of fiber glass can be embedded in glue for stiffness.

Heating gently while glue is drying (60°C) will help a lot.

73

Gerd DF9TS

On 12. Sep 2020, at 16:35, Charlie T, k3ICH <pincon@...> wrote:

Unfortunately, there seems to be a mind-set that to portray a tough guy (or girl) image one must include an abundance of foul language in their vocabulary.

Personally, I’ve always been impressed by someone who can literally take apart an adversary in a verbal joust, without using one syllable of filth.

Read some of Winston Churchill’s most famous quotes along those lines for some good examples.
(He is one of my hero’s too.)

73, Charlie k3ICH

Ok. As an 80 Englishman,  POS has me beaten. What does it stand for please?
Just as an aside, my daughter lives and works in New York and deals with lots of schools across the US and even now she uses words which totally fox those to whom she is talking, and vice versa of course!  G4LDL.

Ben N0WER

Elecraft are big boys and girls. They don’t need to be rescued from criticism by Sir Galahad, especially when it’s perfectly valid criticism - we are the ones saddled with $70 mics that feel cheap and break, after all.
There is nothing worse than an individual who enters a perfectly civil discussion late in the game and tries to stifle it with pearl clutching and drama so please spin the dial if you don’t like the discussion.

Ben (N0WER)

Charlie T, k3ICH

Now THAT was funny, eh?

Elecraft are big boys and girls. They don’t need to be rescued from criticism by Sir Galahad, especially when it’s perfectly valid criticism - we are the ones saddled with $70 mics that feel cheap and break, after all.
There is nothing worse than an individual who enters a perfectly civil discussion late in the game and tries to stifle it with pearl clutching and drama so please spin the dial if you don’t like the discussion.

Ben (N0WER)

Jeffc

I’m fine paying $70 for a second-sourced accessory.   Elecraft is doing a fine job and I’m fine with paying a premium to keep that company going.   That said it would be nice if someone in the community came up with a fix for this... like maybe designing a 3D printed part.   Or a machined replacement case.  Or adapters for all the microphones we ready have.  (Fwiw usually I use earbuds.)

On Sep 12, 2020, at 1:16 PM, Ben N0WER <cq@...> wrote:

Elecraft are big boys and girls. They don’t need to be rescued from criticism by Sir Galahad, especially when it’s perfectly valid criticism - we are the ones saddled with $70 mics that feel cheap and break, after all.
There is nothing worse than an individual who enters a perfectly civil discussion late in the game and tries to stifle it with pearl clutching and drama so please spin the dial if you don’t like the discussion.

Ben (N0WER)

Ken Kopp K9EN

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020, 18:28 Adrian Fewster <vk4tux@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

The main issue appears to be the cord shredding its skin. Happened to me Cost me $20 to replace with a  HM-36 and GQ 4 pole
3.5mm plug shown below instead of $270 aud ordering a MH3 from the USA, audio and mic quality jare ust as good.

It is good to know there are economic alternatives, as international UPS shipping charged

for the MH3 is $118 USD not including the mic.

Some internal circuit modification is required, basic stuff for any real ham,

The HM-36 has the 8 pin Icom mic plug, I took note of the connections etc from solder side ;

PinNo  Function    Colour

1         Mic Audio   Red
3         UP/Down   Yellow
5         PTT           Green
6         GND          Grey
7         MIC GND   Black

Wiring is different, in that the HM-36 has a 470 ohm R in series with Down return and 0 R on UP bttn contact return on dedicated UP/Down line separate to PTT line where
the MH3 does not have this and uses the PTT line.

So procedure was ;
1, Replace 470 ohm smd R with 4.7K R . (R= Resistor)
2. Lift Up btton wire. pcb marked ; 'Up +' wire from # solder point (at one side of now 4.7K R) and place 10K R in series between wire lifted and #.
    # is common point return to track out and yellow UP/Down line.
2.  Cut the now unused yellow line % from cord entrance (leave other end soldered on pcb), and solder this cut end % to the green wire solder point (PTT) on same pcb.
     This brings the two R (4.7k & 10k) controlled return voltage/current from  up/down button set to the Ptt line between transmit point on ptt switch and Ptt line to plug.

New 4 pole 3.5mm plug installed in order tip to sleeve ;

TIP         Mic Audio   Red
N/A        UP/Down   Yellow  << not used, cut at cord end.
Ring 1    PTT           Green
Ring 2    GND          Grey
Sleeve   MIC GND   Black

VK4TUX

On 13/9/20 7:50 am, Jeffc wrote:
[...]

Full disclosure, I have no connection to any radio manufacturer or component suppliers!

Ben, if you had read my post (which I am perfectly entitled to post) and taken some time to comprehend what was said, you may just have noticed that I made no comment about the CONTENT of the discussion, it was your inappropriate language that I, and other members of the i0 group found offensive!

I hope you do not use such language on your QSO’s

David (KM4UDA)