Topics

Help! MH3 mic PTT broken, fixable? -Transport, ate POS please.

tony

Ok. As an 80 Englishman,  POS has me beaten. What does it stand for please?
Just as an aside, my daughter lives and works in New York and deals with lots of schools across the US and even now she uses words which totally fox those to whom she is talking, and vice versa of course!  G4LDL.

Michael Foerster

The plastic in the microphones to be extremely brittle. When you take the screws out from the back, the pegs that they screw into almost invariably break off. Right now, my mic is taped together and I need to figure out someway to pour some epoxy inside to give the screw something to attach to. 

Good luck with it.

Mike, W0IH

Michael Ouellette

POS means Piece of Sh_t

On Sep 11, 2020, at 6:29 AM, tony via groups.io <tony.ldl@...> wrote:

Just as an aside, my daughter lives and works in New York and deals with lots of schools across the US and even now she uses words which totally fox those to whom she is talking, and vice versa of course!  G4LDL.

David Glasser

I address this to the originator of the POS email post!
Do you ever stop to think how the manufacturer (who bends over backwards for radio amateurs) and his staff feel when they read posts like your POS post!

The world we live in today is a tough world, try and be decent for once; for us all!

There are junior members, both male and female, who read these posts, they are not interested in learning just how crude you can be!

IMHO

KM4UDA

David Glasser

From: Elecraft-KX@groups.io <Elecraft-KX@groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Ouellette
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2020 6:35 AM
To: Elecraft-KX@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-KX] Help! MH3 mic PTT broken, fixable? -Transport, ate POS please.

POS means Piece of Sh_t

Charlie T, k3ICH

Unfortunately, there seems to be a mind-set that to portray a tough guy (or girl) image one must include an abundance of foul language in their vocabulary.

Personally, I’ve always been impressed by someone who can literally take apart an adversary in a verbal joust, without using one syllable of filth.

Read some of Winston Churchill’s most famous quotes along those lines for some good examples.

(He is one of my hero’s too.)  

73, Charlie k3ICH

From: Elecraft-KX@groups.io <Elecraft-KX@groups.io> On Behalf Of David Glasser
Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2020 10:14 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-KX] Help! MH3 mic PTT broken, fixable? -Transport, ate POS please.

Do you ever stop to think how the manufacturer (who bends over backwards for radio amateurs) and his staff feel when they read posts like your POS post!

The world we live in today is a tough world, try and be decent for once; for us all!

There are junior members, both male and female, who read these posts, they are not interested in learning just how crude you can be!

IMHO

KM4UDA

David Glasser

From: Elecraft-KX@groups.io <Elecraft-KX@groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Ouellette
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2020 6:35 AM

POS means Piece of Sh_t

DF9TS

Absolutely agree on polite ham spirited conversations.

I have made excellent experience glueing plastics with this 2 component epoxy glue: https://www.amazon.co.uk/UHU-Plus-Acrylit-3-x-30g/dp/B0776JZXR7
Clean all surfces to glue wit Aceton first. Glue twice: once to fix the parts (brittle) in place. When dry add more glue around to stabilize. Strands of fiber glass can be embedded in glue for stiffness.

Heating gently while glue is drying (60°C) will help a lot.

Gerd DF9TS

On 12. Sep 2020, at 16:35, Charlie T, k3ICH <pincon@...> wrote:

Unfortunately, there seems to be a mind-set that to portray a tough guy (or girl) image one must include an abundance of foul language in their vocabulary.

Personally, I’ve always been impressed by someone who can literally take apart an adversary in a verbal joust, without using one syllable of filth.

Read some of Winston Churchill’s most famous quotes along those lines for some good examples.

73, Charlie k3ICH

From: Elecraft-KX@groups.io <Elecraft-KX@groups.io> On Behalf Of David Glasser
Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2020 10:14 AM
To: Elecraft-KX@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-KX] Help! MH3 mic PTT broken, fixable? -Transport, ate POS please.

IMHO
KM4UDA
David Glasser

From: Elecraft-KX@groups.io <Elecraft-KX@groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Ouellette
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2020 6:35 AM
To: Elecraft-KX@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-KX] Help! MH3 mic PTT broken, fixable? -Transport, ate POS please.

POS means Piece of Sh_t

On Sep 11, 2020, at 6:29 AM, tony via groups.io <tony.ldl@...> wrote:

Ben N0WER

Elecraft are big boys and girls. They don’t need to be rescued from criticism by Sir Galahad, especially when it’s perfectly valid criticism - we are the ones saddled with $70 mics that feel cheap and break, after all. 
There is nothing worse than an individual who enters a perfectly civil discussion late in the game and tries to stifle it with pearl clutching and drama so please spin the dial if you don’t like the discussion.

Ben (N0WER)

Charlie T, k3ICH

Now THAT was funny, eh?

C

From: Elecraft-KX@groups.io <Elecraft-KX@groups.io> On Behalf Of Ben N0WER
Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2020 4:16 PM

Elecraft are big boys and girls. They don’t need to be rescued from criticism by Sir Galahad, especially when it’s perfectly valid criticism - we are the ones saddled with $70 mics that feel cheap and break, after all. 
There is nothing worse than an individual who enters a perfectly civil discussion late in the game and tries to stifle it with pearl clutching and drama so please spin the dial if you don’t like the discussion.

Ben (N0WER)

Jeffc

I’m fine paying $70 for a second-sourced accessory.   Elecraft is doing a fine job and I’m fine with paying a premium to keep that company going.   That said it would be nice if someone in the community came up with a fix for this... like maybe designing a 3D printed part.   Or a machined replacement case.  Or adapters for all the microphones we ready have.  (Fwiw usually I use earbuds.)

On Sep 12, 2020, at 1:16 PM, Ben N0WER <cq@...> wrote:

Ben (N0WER)

Ken Kopp K9EN

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020, 18:28 Adrian Fewster <vk4tux@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

The main issue appears to be the cord shredding its skin. Happened to me Cost me $20 to replace with a  HM-36 and GQ 4 pole
3.5mm plug shown below instead of $270 aud ordering a MH3 from the USA, audio and mic quality jare ust as good.

It is good to know there are economic alternatives, as international UPS shipping charged

for the MH3 is $118 USD not including the mic.

Some internal circuit modification is required, basic stuff for any real ham,

The HM-36 has the 8 pin Icom mic plug, I took note of the connections etc from solder side ;

PinNo  Function    Colour

1         Mic Audio   Red
3         UP/Down   Yellow
5         PTT           Green
6         GND          Grey
7         MIC GND   Black

Wiring is different, in that the HM-36 has a 470 ohm R in series with Down return and 0 R on UP bttn contact return on dedicated UP/Down line separate to PTT line where
the MH3 does not have this and uses the PTT line.

So procedure was ;
1, Replace 470 ohm smd R with 4.7K R . (R= Resistor)
2. Lift Up btton wire. pcb marked ; 'Up +' wire from # solder point (at one side of now 4.7K R) and place 10K R in series between wire lifted and #.
    # is common point return to track out and yellow UP/Down line.
2.  Cut the now unused yellow line % from cord entrance (leave other end soldered on pcb), and solder this cut end % to the green wire solder point (PTT) on same pcb.
     This brings the two R (4.7k & 10k) controlled return voltage/current from  up/down button set to the Ptt line between transmit point on ptt switch and Ptt line to plug.

New 4 pole 3.5mm plug installed in order tip to sleeve ;

TIP         Mic Audio   Red
N/A        UP/Down   Yellow  << not used, cut at cord end.
Ring 1    PTT           Green
Ring 2    GND          Grey
Sleeve   MIC GND   Black

VK4TUX

On 13/9/20 7:50 am, Jeffc wrote:
I’m fine paying $70 for a second-sourced accessory.   Elecraft is doing a fine job and I’m fine with paying a premium to keep that company going.   That said it would be nice if someone in the community came up with a fix for this... like maybe designing a 3D printed part.   Or a machined replacement case.  Or adapters for all the microphones we ready have.  (Fwiw usually I use earbuds.)

On Sep 12, 2020, at 1:16 PM, Ben N0WER <cq@...> wrote:

Ben (N0WER)

David Glasser

Full disclosure, I have no connection to any radio manufacturer or component suppliers!

Ben, if you had read my post (which I am perfectly entitled to post) and taken some time to comprehend what was said, you may just have noticed that I made no comment about the CONTENT of the discussion, it was your inappropriate language that I, and other members of the i0 group found offensive!

I hope you do not use such language on your QSO’s

David (KM4UDA)

From: Elecraft-KX@groups.io <Elecraft-KX@groups.io> On Behalf Of Ben N0WER
Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2020 4:16 PM

Ben (N0WER)

K O

OTOH, Shakespeare wrote in the idiom of his time with a generous helping of Double Entendre. I understand people tut-tutted him back in the day, so being treated like the Bard puts one in good company.

Regarding Winston Churchill, a quick internet perusal unearthed this gem...

"Tell him I can only deal with one s*** at a time."

When he was disturbed while on the toilet by a call from Lord Privy Seal.

73, Kevin K3OX

73, Charlie k3ICH

py1ahd

Em 13/09/2020 01:21, K O escreveu:

OTOH, Shakespeare wrote in the idiom of his time with a generous helping of Double Entendre. I understand people tut-tutted him back in the day, so being treated like the Bard puts one in good company.

Regarding Winston Churchill, a quick internet perusal unearthed this gem...

"Tell him I can only deal with one s*** at a time."

When he was disturbed while on the toilet by a call from Lord Privy Seal.

73, Kevin K3OX

73, Charlie k3ICH

Frandy Johnson

Yeah, let's talk about their paddles, instead!

Kevin Burgess

Just my opinion here.  I have had mics break from just about every manufacturer out there.  Only mic that i have seen hold up to tons of use is  the motorola on my school bus and yet drivers still manage to break them. Usually it is the cord that gives out. They are expensive though. I am sure Elecraft could find a better mic but how much more would it cost?   We hams are an opinionated bunch and Elecraft certainly listens to their customers but at the end of the day they have to evaluate cost vs sales potential. I would love a waterproof KX2 in bright orange with an indestructible cw key but, is there enough interest in such a thing to warrant the production changes? Are there enough customers willing to pay the higher price?  My MH3 and elecraft paddles both work FB and  do what I expect them to do. The MH3 ptt seems like it could be a weak point so if I pack it I take care to protect it even though I do not use it much as I prefer CW. When I see comments where someone calls something a piece of junk with out any detail as to what happened I tend to disregard it. Why did it fail? Original poster gave some clues that I found helpful. I suspect it was packed in a way to where the PTT was bumped or compressed hard enough to break the small plastic part. (I will be more careful packing my MH3 as mentioned above). Kevin KR6AI

Dan Abell

Kevin, Elecraft Fanboys, friends,
Seems plenty of us have had problems with the MH3.  In my case I dropped it a distance of two feet to a wooden floor and two of the screw bosses broke.   Now if you think that's a reasonable outcome then fine, I don't.  The reason for the existence of this forum is to share experiences and opinions.   In my opinion a $70 mic, a Chinese one at that, should be more resilient, you clearly and others seem to have a different opinion, and that's okay, however sharing our collective experience we can all learn.   So while I clearly support Elecraft because they do produce superior products that command premium prices, I don't see myself as "keeping the company going", but rather letting the marketplace work.    Now with the Icom 705 about to become available, maybe there's another option, hi hi.  Point is, a number of us are sharing our dissatisfaction with this mic.  AND in keeping with the First Amendment I can express myself as I see fit.  Seems my mistake was not being more explicit in deference to others who may not be familiar with current US "vernacular slang" resulting in bringing Winston Churchill into the fray :)   BTW (that means "by the way"), Churchill has been quoted as using the same word while responding to a summons from the privy  https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/807442-churchill-was-in-the-lavatory-in-the-house-of-commons  (Warning if you are a youngster don't use this link)  Am I going to 3D print a new mic shell - who would spend hours replicating in CAD, then printing a couple of hours on the printer?
Okay, I think I have addressed all the issues and now maybe Howie can freeze this thread
Dan w3dka

Now I feel better and hopefully we have all learned about each other as well from this exercise

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 1:22 PM Kevin Burgess <kevinandpatty@...> wrote:
Just my opinion here.  I have had mics break from just about every manufacturer out there.  Only mic that i have seen hold up to tons of use is  the motorola on my school bus and yet drivers still manage to break them. Usually it is the cord that gives out. They are expensive though. I am sure Elecraft could find a better mic but how much more would it cost?   We hams are an opinionated bunch and Elecraft certainly listens to their customers but at the end of the day they have to evaluate cost vs sales potential. I would love a waterproof KX2 in bright orange with an indestructible cw key but, is there enough interest in such a thing to warrant the production changes? Are there enough customers willing to pay the higher price?  My MH3 and elecraft paddles both work FB and  do what I expect them to do. The MH3 ptt seems like it could be a weak point so if I pack it I take care to protect it even though I do not use it much as I prefer CW. When I see comments where someone calls something a piece of junk with out any detail as to what happened I tend to disregard it. Why did it fail? Original poster gave some clues that I found helpful. I suspect it was packed in a way to where the PTT was bumped or compressed hard enough to break the small plastic part. (I will be more careful packing my MH3 as mentioned above). Kevin KR6AI

Howard Hoyt

>>Okay, I think I have addressed all the issues and now maybe Howie can freeze this thread

I don't believe in freezing threads unless people become uncivil.  If progress is being made on the subject at hand, it is a productive thread even if it lasts for months.  Y'all are adults and can moderate yourselves (for the most part!).  BTW I too think the MH3 is cheesy, mine broke the first time I used in in my car...but I think the reasons Elecraft is selling it have been stated.

Cheese & 73,
Howie
Elecraft-KX@groups.io moderator

Dan Abell

Howard, 
Great response, thank you.
Dan

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 3:33 PM Howard Hoyt <Elecraft.KX@...> wrote:
>>Okay, I think I have addressed all the issues and now maybe Howie can freeze this thread

I don't believe in freezing threads unless people become uncivil.  If progress is being made on the subject at hand, it is a productive thread even if it lasts for months.  Y'all are adults and can moderate yourselves (for the most part!).  BTW I too think the MH3 is cheesy, mine broke the first time I used in in my car...but I think the reasons Elecraft is selling it have been stated.

Cheese & 73,
Howie

Joseph Laico

I agree, a lively spirited debate serves everyone.

From: Elecraft-KX@groups.io [mailto:Elecraft-KX@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dan Abell
Sent: Sunday, September 13, 2020 11:34 PM

Howard, 

Great response, thank you.

Dan

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 3:33 PM Howard Hoyt <Elecraft.KX@...> wrote:

Cheese & 73,
Howie

sassoon+groupsio@...

I don't believe in freezing threads unless people become uncivil.
Respect, Howie. I am the OP from the original thread, which got split off into this one when someone edited the subject (note to everyone, please don't change the subject line when replying to a thread, it makes things hard to follow!)

I understand some people have strong opinions on this. But even after people have expressed those opinions, had someone frozen this thread I wouldn't have had the flurry of incredible suggestions and an extremely kind offer to directly help me.

So, many thanks to all. Now I have to go and say much the same thing in the other thread! :)

--

Gabe VK2LGS