Topics

Securing Anderson Power Poles

Dan Steinhoff

See QST Hints & Kinks "Tie Your Powerpoles" Jan 2012, page 64

Rudy Marcelletti

Anderson has little plastic doohickeys (technical term) that fit into the holes where the roll pin goes that holds the connection together. I have one that either came from Elecraft or with my solar panel-can’t remember…but it works well. Powerworx has them.

Rudy, K8SWD

On Jun 23, 2020, at 8:58 AM, Dan Steinhoff <steinhoffdl@...> wrote:

See QST Hints & Kinks "Tie Your Powerpoles" Jan 2012, page 64

Joe Street

A small cable tie also works but is not as planet friendly.

Joe

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 11:14 AM Rudy Marcelletti <k8swdrudy@...> wrote:
Anderson has little plastic doohickeys (technical term) that fit into the holes where the roll pin goes that holds the connection together. I have one that either came from Elecraft or with my solar panel-can’t remember…but it works well. Powerworx has them.

Rudy, K8SWD

On Jun 23, 2020, at 8:58 AM, Dan Steinhoff <steinhoffdl@...> wrote:

See QST Hints & Kinks "Tie Your Powerpoles" Jan 2012, page 64

Dave Kochan

They also make connectors that are thermally bonded together in pairs.  They do NOT come apart.

Dave
K0CDA

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 9:14 AM Rudy Marcelletti <k8swdrudy@...> wrote:
Anderson has little plastic doohickeys (technical term) that fit into the holes where the roll pin goes that holds the connection together. I have one that either came from Elecraft or with my solar panel-can’t remember…but it works well. Powerworx has them.

Rudy, K8SWD

On Jun 23, 2020, at 8:58 AM, Dan Steinhoff <steinhoffdl@...> wrote:

See QST Hints & Kinks "Tie Your Powerpoles" Jan 2012, page 64

Rudy Marcelletti

You can thermal bond with a soldering iron like you are making little welds on both sides. Permanent (mostly) but it works better than the roll pins. Just clean the tip really good before soldering!

On Jun 23, 2020, at 2:01 PM, Dave Kochan <dkochan@...> wrote:

They also make connectors that are thermally bonded together in pairs.  They do NOT come apart.

Dave
K0CDA

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 9:14 AM Rudy Marcelletti <k8swdrudy@...> wrote:
Anderson has little plastic doohickeys (technical term) that fit into the holes where the roll pin goes that holds the connection together. I have one that either came from Elecraft or with my solar panel-can’t remember…but it works well. Powerworx has them.

Rudy, K8SWD

On Jun 23, 2020, at 8:58 AM, Dan Steinhoff <steinhoffdl@...> wrote:

See QST Hints & Kinks "Tie Your Powerpoles" Jan 2012, page 64

Don Wilhelm

That would work, but makes a mess of melted plastic.
I use a drop of Super Glue on the junction of the plastic pieces.
Warning - that glue grabs quickly, so slide the 2 pieces together, then apply the drop of glue and quickly finish sliding them together.
I have never had ones prepared like that come apart, and I don't use roll pins.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 6/23/2020 4:39 PM, Rudy Marcelletti wrote:
You can thermal bond with a soldering iron like you are making little welds on both sides. Permanent (mostly) but it works better than the roll pins. Just clean the tip really good before soldering!

Don Wilhelm

Clarification:

I meant to say - slide the pieces only enough to start the assembly - then apply the glue.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 6/23/2020 4:57 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
That would work, but makes a mess of melted plastic.
I use a drop of Super Glue on the junction of the plastic pieces.
Warning - that glue grabs quickly, so slide the 2 pieces together, then apply the drop of glue and quickly finish sliding them together.
I have never had ones prepared like that come apart, and I don't use roll pins.
73,
Don W3FPR
On 6/23/2020 4:39 PM, Rudy Marcelletti wrote:
You can thermal bond with a soldering iron like you are making little welds on both sides. Permanent (mostly) but it works better than the roll pins. Just clean the tip really good before soldering!

Dave Kochan

If you just slide them together completely and apply the super thin CA glue to the roll pin hole, it should wick in between the connectors pretty well. Note: Have not actually verified this. I just use a lot of CA. :)

Dave
K0CDA

On Jun 23, 2020, at 3:05 PM, Don Wilhelm <donwilh@...> wrote:

[...]

Dave Wickert

There are clips that lock PowerPoles together. See:

https://powerwerx.com/powerpole-connector-retention-clip

Hope that helps.

73.

_-_-_ Dave AE7TD

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

If you just slide them together completely and apply the super thin CA glue to the roll pin hole, it should wick in between the connectors pretty well.  Note: Have not actually verified this.  I just use a lot of CA.  :)

Dave
K0CDA

> On Jun 23, 2020, at 3:05 PM, Don Wilhelm <donwilh@...> wrote:
>
> Clarification:
>
> I meant to say - slide the pieces only enough to start the assembly - then apply the glue.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
>> On 6/23/2020 4:57 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>> That would work, but makes a mess of melted plastic.
>> I use a drop of Super Glue on the junction of the plastic pieces.
>> Warning - that glue grabs quickly, so slide the 2 pieces together, then apply the drop of glue and quickly finish sliding them together.
>> I have never had ones prepared like that come apart, and I don't use roll pins.
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>>> On 6/23/2020 4:39 PM, Rudy Marcelletti wrote:
>>> You can thermal bond with a soldering iron like you are making little welds on both sides. Permanent (mostly) but it works better than the roll pins. Just clean the tip really good before soldering!

Don Wilhelm

Dave,

That is what I tried at first, but had a couple of them split apart, so
I abandoned that method.

I will say one more thing - use only the genuine APPs. I have seen some
knockoffs that do not mate well.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 6/23/2020 5:14 PM, Dave Kochan wrote:
[...]

Don,

Ah, that makes sense.  Sometimes CA doesn't go where you want it.  It does, however, seem to have no trouble going right to where it shouldn't be.

Yes, the knock-offs are terrible.  I've made that mistake, too.

Dave
K0CDA

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 3:50 PM Don Wilhelm <donwilh@...> wrote:
Dave,

That is what I tried at first, but had a couple of them split apart, so
I abandoned that method.

I will say one more thing - use only the genuine APPs.  I have seen some
knockoffs that do not mate well.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 6/23/2020 5:14 PM, Dave Kochan wrote:
> If you just slide them together completely and apply the super thin CA glue to the roll pin hole, it should wick in between the connectors pretty well.  Note: Have not actually verified this.  I just use a lot of CA.  :)
>
> Dave
> K0CDA
>
>> On Jun 23, 2020, at 3:05 PM, Don Wilhelm <donwilh@...> wrote:
>>
>> Clarification:
>>
>> I meant to say - slide the pieces only enough to start the assembly - then apply the glue.
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>>
>>> On 6/23/2020 4:57 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>>> That would work, but makes a mess of melted plastic.
>>> I use a drop of Super Glue on the junction of the plastic pieces.
>>> Warning - that glue grabs quickly, so slide the 2 pieces together, then apply the drop of glue and quickly finish sliding them together.
>>> I have never had ones prepared like that come apart, and I don't use roll pins.
>>> 73,
>>> Don W3FPR

Charlie T, k3ICH

I didn't think super-glue (Cyano-Acrylate) will stick to the plastic shell of the APP's ???
Chas

[...]

Greg Herman

Take a hot soldering iron.
Wipe the tip with sponge
Run the tip down both side of APP bonding the black and red sides together
Clean soldering iron tip and apply some solder to tip

That’s how I roll. Never comes apart

73
KC9NRO
Greg

--
Have a Great day!
Greg

Mike Short

PVC cement will soften the plastic enough to bond them together. You can also get plastic welding rods

 Daindy 50pcs Plastic Welding Rods PVC ABS PP PE Welding Rods Plastic Welder Tool Welding Sticks 200mm Length https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086HNQXM3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_poR8Eb88N54P4

Chuck a rod in a Dremel and weld them together.

I have made plastic boxes and panels using this method

Mike
AI4NS

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 18:33 Dave Kochan <dkochan@...> wrote:
Don,

Ah, that makes sense.  Sometimes CA doesn't go where you want it.  It does, however, seem to have no trouble going right to where it shouldn't be.

Yes, the knock-offs are terrible.  I've made that mistake, too.

Dave
K0CDA

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 3:50 PM Don Wilhelm <donwilh@...> wrote:
Dave,

That is what I tried at first, but had a couple of them split apart, so
I abandoned that method.

I will say one more thing - use only the genuine APPs.  I have seen some
knockoffs that do not mate well.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 6/23/2020 5:14 PM, Dave Kochan wrote:
> If you just slide them together completely and apply the super thin CA glue to the roll pin hole, it should wick in between the connectors pretty well.  Note: Have not actually verified this.  I just use a lot of CA.  :)
>
> Dave
> K0CDA
>
>> On Jun 23, 2020, at 3:05 PM, Don Wilhelm <donwilh@...> wrote:
>>
>> Clarification:
>>
>> I meant to say - slide the pieces only enough to start the assembly - then apply the glue.
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>>
>>> On 6/23/2020 4:57 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>>> That would work, but makes a mess of melted plastic.
>>> I use a drop of Super Glue on the junction of the plastic pieces.
>>> Warning - that glue grabs quickly, so slide the 2 pieces together, then apply the drop of glue and quickly finish sliding them together.
>>> I have never had ones prepared like that come apart, and I don't use roll pins.
>>> 73,
>>> Don W3FPR

WD4E

Snip the cotton end off a Q-tip, cutting at an angle.  Insert into hole made for roll pin, cut off excess, save remainder of Q-tip for next requirement.  Jack  WD4E

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

PVC cement will soften the plastic enough to bond them together. You can also get plastic welding rods

 Daindy 50pcs Plastic Welding Rods PVC ABS PP PE Welding Rods Plastic Welder Tool Welding Sticks 200mm Length https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086HNQXM3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_poR8Eb88N54P4

Chuck a rod in a Dremel and weld them together.

I have made plastic boxes and panels using this method

Mike

AI4NS

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 18:33 Dave Kochan <dkochan@...> wrote:

Don,

Ah, that makes sense.  Sometimes CA doesn't go where you want it.  It does, however, seem to have no trouble going right to where it shouldn't be.

Yes, the knock-offs are terrible.  I've made that mistake, too.

Dave

K0CDA

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 3:50 PM Don Wilhelm <donwilh@...> wrote:

Dave,

That is what I tried at first, but had a couple of them split apart, so
I abandoned that method.

I will say one more thing - use only the genuine APPs.  I have seen some
knockoffs that do not mate well.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 6/23/2020 5:14 PM, Dave Kochan wrote:
> If you just slide them together completely and apply the super thin CA glue to the roll pin hole, it should wick in between the connectors pretty well.  Note: Have not actually verified this.  I just use a lot of CA.  :)
>
> Dave
> K0CDA
>
>> On Jun 23, 2020, at 3:05 PM, Don Wilhelm <donwilh@...> wrote:
>>
>> Clarification:
>>
>> I meant to say - slide the pieces only enough to start the assembly - then apply the glue.
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>>
>>> On 6/23/2020 4:57 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>>> That would work, but makes a mess of melted plastic.
>>> I use a drop of Super Glue on the junction of the plastic pieces.
>>> Warning - that glue grabs quickly, so slide the 2 pieces together, then apply the drop of glue and quickly finish sliding them together.
>>> I have never had ones prepared like that come apart, and I don't use roll pins.
>>> 73,
>>> Don W3FPR

Troy - K4JDA

2.5mm screws work well, stay in, and are easily removable

Dan Romanchik KB6NU

These are all great suggestions. While reading them, another thought occurred to me. I haven't tried this yet, but how about a little drop of hot glue on the roll-pin hole?

Walter Underwood

Next time, I’ll probably use a drop of E6000 glue when I assemble PowerPoles. That is a “permanent craft adhesive” that works on a lot of surfaces. It takes a while to set, so you don’t need to hurry in assembly. Also, you’ll already have the glue on-hand when you need to repair Christmas ornaments next December.

wunder
K6WRU
Walter Underwood
CM87wj
http://observer.wunderwood.org/ (my blog)

On Jun 24, 2020, at 5:09 AM, Dan Romanchik KB6NU <cwgeek@...> wrote:

These are all great suggestions. While reading them, another thought occurred to me. I haven't tried this yet, but how about a little drop of hot glue on the roll-pin hole?

Tim N9PUZ

On 6/24/2020 7:09 AM, Dan Romanchik KB6NU wrote:
These are all great suggestions. While reading them, another thought occurred to me. I haven't tried this yet, but how about a little drop of hot glue on the roll-pin hole?
I am concerned that those roll pins will come out. Some of them fit very loosely.

If you take the shaft of a plastic shafted "Q-Tip" and cut it the length of the roll pins you can use it in place of the metal pin which could cause trouble if it falls out. If you touch a hot soldering iron tip to both ends of the plastic shaft after it's installed it will be captured in place. It's still an easy matter to force it out if you need to separate the two connectors for some reason.

Tim N9PUZ

Paul Cowley

A tiny dab of thin cyanoacrylate (aka "superglue") does a great job as well, although I personally prefer the pre-bonded versions myself.  Powerpole the world! 🙂

Paul
W0YR