Topics

Win4K3suite and KPA 1500

wb6bee

Elecraft has a remote control program for the KPA 1500 with some level of fan monitoring and control.   I am not a user of Win4K3suite, but considering it.  Wonder if it has any KPA 1500 control features.   The documentation on line seems only to refer to the KPA 500

Don
WB6BEE

Jim N7US

I have Win4K3Suite and use it with the KPA1500.  The program recognizes the amplifier as the KPA1500 and shows that on the display.  The amplifier power on and off can be controlled, as can operate/standby and the tuner.

Right clicking the mouse button in the amplifier control tab (using the smaller window option) brings up fan speed selections.

I use that program with DXLab and usually use the Elecraft KPA1500 remote program with N1MM+ for contests.

You can try the program free for 30 days.  Unlike some programs, the license fee is one-time, not annual.  I think the program is a very good value.

Jim N7US

On Sun, Dec 8, 2019, 12:26 PM wb6bee <wb6bee@...> wrote:
Elecraft has a remote control program for the KPA 1500 with some level of fan monitoring and control.   I am not a user of Win4K3suite, but considering it.  Wonder if it has any KPA 1500 control features.   The documentation on line seems only to refer to the KPA 500

Don
WB6BEE
_._,_._,_

wb6bee

Jim

I run  the DXLab commander, spot collector, pathfinder, dxkeeper with capture.   I have CW skimmer and four versions of Alex's bandmaster.   I also have NaP3 with Larry's LPPan.    Spotting on steroids.   Five monitors.   Really looking to simplify  things, a couple hours on the air and you are seeing things from all the monitor activity.

I am going to look around for a screen shot of the KPA 1500 fan control.

Thanks for the input.

Don
WB6BEE

Max NG7M

Hi Don, as Jim has mentioned, Win4K3Suite supports the KPA-1500 and had support for it before it started shipping if memory serves me correct (however I don't own a KPA-500/1500).  Tom (author of Win4K3Suite) provides very good support for Win4K3Suite.  For the cost, I totally agree with Jim, it's well worth the value.  For the K3 CAT sharing alone, Win4K3Suite is worth the price.  It has been nice to switch to Win4K3Suite and stop using LP-Bridge and NaP3... all together, a much more reliable and cleaner setup with Win4K3Suite and the CAT sharing.  Plus Win4K3Suite provides the UDP feed into N1MM so you can use the native N1MM spectrum display.  After taking the time to learn Win4K3Suite, life has been much better after using LP-Bridge and NaP3.  NaP3 was always so hit and miss on the reliability.  Don't get me wrong... I love N8LP's LP-PAN2 and the LP-500/700 etc... but for a spectrum display with LP-PAN2 and the K3, Win4K3Suite has just been so much more reliable.

I made a very detailed video of how to use the CAT sharing with Win4K3Suite and I touch on the spectrum display in this video.  Jump back and forward with the J and L keys 10 seconds at a time or 5 seconds at a time with the arrow keys.  You might find the video helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbf7BPfcj4U

If you are already familiar with how LP-Bridge works for CAT port sharing, Win4K3Suite and the com0com setup will be easy to understand.

Max NG7M

wb6bee

I downloaded and implemented the WIN4K3 program.   Candidly, a bumpy start, but not because of the software.   Mostly operator.   However, it is now up and running and quite a bit simpler than what I have before with LP Bridge and such.   I had an quite old version of Com0Com on the computer and it seems to work fine.   Not sure if it is signed or not and not sure how to tell.  But it is working.

I was a long time NaP3 user.   It consumed a lot of CPU capacity.   I think the Win4  spectrum is more frugal.   I wish it had a fixed mode on the spectrum so the spectrum didn't scroll across when you were tuning.   NaP3 had both, which was useful.  Otherwise, I find many of the features of the Win4 spectrum superior to NaP3.   I found the IQ Balance to be quite effective (after I figured out how sensitive it was)

I am running five monitors.  I use my own RBN skimmer for spots on the Club Log and for the spectrum.  That is working fine.   DXlabs commander bandspread with spot collector, two versions of CW skimmer and four versions of DXAtlas Bandmaster monitoring spots on four bands simultaneously.

I just added five photos on the bottom of my QRZ page that are screen shots of the five monitors that are running.  Anyone interested in my set up can check out those photos on my QRZ pages.

Thanks for the input

Don
WB6BEE

Randy Farmer

I agree WIN4K3 is an extremely useful and capable program. I use many of its other features with good results, but for me the lack of a fixed tune function on the spectrum display makes it completely useless. I had been running NaP3 via LP Bridge as a wideband spectrum display for "situational awareness" in conjunction with a P3. When I converted over to WIN4K3 I tried using the WIN4K3 display for the same purpose, but the display smearing whenever the radio is tuned destroys its utility. I find myself still running NaP3 instead, but on my WIN7 system there's some sort of resource contention between the two programs that eventually crashes network communications. I must turn NaP3 off unless I'm actively using the radio. I keep hoping that Tom will provide a fixed tune mode; the fact that NaP3 and other SDR software packages do it means it's certainly possible.

73...
Randy, W8FN