Topics

using a K3S with a Q5Signal 144MHz transverter

Bob Novas

I’m contemplating a http://www.q5signal.com/  144MHz transverter to use with my K3S. Does anyone have experience with these devices?  I’m thinking of buying the 75W version.  Some questions, if you can answer them:

  1. To cover the 144-148MHz band, does the K3S run 28-32MHz?
  2. How is the PTT signal to the transverter supplied? Can it just be plugged into the Key Out jack?
  3. When the manual says: “XVn PWR sets maximum K3S power output for the current transverter band, in two ranges: L .01-L1.27 specifies a power level in milliwatts;” (for the low power range), does that mean .01mW to 1.27mW?
  4. Is the 28MHz IF the right IF?  Is 50MHz – 54MHz better?

Thanks,

Bob – W3DK

Sandor wetsel

I cannot answer to the model trans you are contemplating but:
1) My K3/XV144 transmits to 147.995, so in transverter mode using the the ACC line for control mine will.
4)  the 10M IF is great for me.  I use my Elecraft transverter every day, but your mileage may vary.
Sandor KG4FET

GOD SAVE OUR NATION!

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 11:20 AM, Bob Novas via groups.io
<bob.novas@...> wrote:

I’m contemplating a http://www.q5signal.com/  144MHz transverter to use with my K3S. Does anyone have experience with these devices?  I’m thinking of buying the 75W version.  Some questions, if you can answer them:

  1. To cover the 144-148MHz band, does the K3S run 28-32MHz?
  2. How is the PTT signal to the transverter supplied? Can it just be plugged into the Key Out jack?
  3. When the manual says: “XVn PWR sets maximum K3S power output for the current transverter band, in two ranges: L .01-L1.27 specifies a power level in milliwatts;” (for the low power range), does that mean .01mW to 1.27mW?
  4. Is the 28MHz IF the right IF?  Is 50MHz – 54MHz better?

Thanks,

Bob – W3DK

Tim Hague M0AFJ <m0afj@...>

I run a Q5 transverter with a straight K3, 28MHz works fine as an IF, I don’t know however if it’s possible to run it up to 32MHz but the new Q5 design uses a clever DLO so Cory may be able to make your transverter dual band, worth chatting to him.
The Q5 unit is better than the Elecraft one, very clean, stable and bomb proof, we have some very big signals in Europe and it copes well.
regarding the drive levels, you are correct, .01mW to 1.27mW, the transverter really only needs about -5 for full output.
The transverter PTT is ground to tx, the K3 key out works fine
the IF is your decision, I like to be able to run 50MHz and 2M at the same time, 28MHz works for me.
just a thought, if I was buying now I’d get the 150W version, easier to loose power than to add it.
73, Tim M0AFJ

Bob Novas

Tim -  Thanks for the response.  I don’t know whether to go big (150W/$800) or go small (25W/$479). If I go small, I can always buy an amplifier. If I go big, it would seem harder to reduce power to drive a big amplifier.  But, does anyone actually run much more than 150W on 2M? What does moon bounce take nowadays? Bob – W3DK

I run a Q5 transverter with a straight K3, 28MHz works fine as an IF, I don’t know however if it’s possible to run it up to 32MHz but the new Q5 design uses a clever DLO so Cory may be able to make your transverter dual band, worth chatting to him.
The Q5 unit is better than the Elecraft one, very clean, stable and bomb proof, we have some very big signals in Europe and it copes well.
regarding the drive levels, you are correct, .01mW to 1.27mW, the transverter really only needs about -5 for full output.
The transverter PTT is ground to tx, the K3 key out works fine
the IF is your decision, I like to be able to run 50MHz and 2M at the same time, 28MHz works for me.
just a thought, if I was buying now I’d get the 150W version, easier to loose power than to add it.
73, Tim M0AFJ

Chris Cox, N0UK

I am using my old-style DEMI 28 to 144MHz transverter with my K3 and it does work over the whole 4MHz of the band, so you should be fine.
Chris Cox, N0UK
chrisc@chris.org

On Feb 26, 2021, at 2:59 PM, Bob Novas via groups.io <bob.novas=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

mikerodgerske5gbc

Bob, yes guys run over 150w on ssb anyway. Guys running big Henry floor model amps. Beautiful things for a kilowatt maybe more.

I ran a small te systems brick about 170w in the big truck.

73
Mike R

7!
Absolutely Awesome

On Feb 26, 2021, at 2:59 PM, Bob Novas via groups.io <bob.novas@...> wrote:

[...]

Wes Stewart

It's been years since I was on 2M EME pre-imaginary (JT) mode and then 1.5KW was marginal. I would opt for the 150W to have plenty of drive for the real amp :-)

Tropo and MS are fun too. I was working 400 mile tropo routinely in the mountainous deserts of AZ.

You can see a couple of amps I built on my QRZ page.  https://www.qrz.com/db/n7ws

Wes  N7WS

On Friday, February 26, 2021, 3:40:12 PM MST, mikerodgerske5gbc via groups.io <mikerodgerske5gbc@...> wrote:

[...]

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

If you are planning on 2M FM then 25watts is adequate.  If you plan to work tropo then 150watts is adequate.   If you plan to work 2M SSB via EME then legal limit is necessary.  All of this depends largely on your antenna system.    If you use a simple antenna then don't plan for more than 100 watts or so.   Feedline quality, meaning very low loss, is also critically important.   For my 10 ele yagi at 50 ft I use 75 ft of 1/2" Andrew hardline and with 150 watts I can work digital EME at moonrise or moonset to take advantage of ground gain.

So what do you intend to do, operationally?

On 2/26/2021 2:59 PM, Bob Novas via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Bob – I’m going to go with the 150W option. It’s expensive but cheaper and neater than a transverter and an amplifier.  I’ll have to pinch pennies so the right antenna and feedline will have to wait. So for now, my operating will consist of neighborhood contacts.  Bob – W3DK

I run a Q5 transverter with a straight K3, 28MHz works fine as an IF, I don’t know however if it’s possible to run it up to 32MHz but the new Q5 design uses a clever DLO so Cory may be able to make your transverter dual band, worth chatting to him.
The Q5 unit is better than the Elecraft one, very clean, stable and bomb proof, we have some very big signals in Europe and it copes well.
regarding the drive levels, you are correct, .01mW to 1.27mW, the transverter really only needs about -5 for full output.
The transverter PTT is ground to tx, the K3 key out works fine
the IF is your decision, I like to be able to run 50MHz and 2M at the same time, 28MHz works for me.
just a thought, if I was buying now I’d get the 150W version, easier to loose power than to add it.
73, Tim M0AFJ

Tim Hague M0AFJ <m0afj@...>

Hi Bob, I have the 25W one but have a 1KW Solid State Gemini amplifier from www.Thedxshop.com which loafs along at the U.K. legal limit (400W at the antenna). I also go out portable, that’s where the extra power from the transverter would help, the SSPA is too big and heavy to lump about.
150W will certainly allow digital EME and MS operation.

good luck, tell us of your adventures

73 Tim M0AFJ
IO70ic