TX suddenly stopped working using WSJT-X

Richard Lawn

I apologize as I know this has been covered before. The frustration here is that it was working fine the other day, and suddenly last night WSJT-X would no longer transmit. There seems to be no audio getting into the K3. I see and hear nothing from the K3 other than the red TX light. I've gone through the settings countless times and cannot find my error. I am confused by the fact that when I try to adjust the mic gain I end up selecting Line 0-60 which I don't think should be the case. By the way I am using the USB interface on the K3 for moving audio to and from the computer rather than an external soundcard. I'd appreciate it if someone showed me the error of my ways as I don't recall ever seeing this problem before. 

Rick, W2JAZ

Jeffrey griffin

My audio drops out on occasion also. I find a WSJT s/w reboot fixes it every time….

73 Jeff kb2m

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Lawn
Sent: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 2:00 PM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: [Elecraft-K3] TX suddenly stopped working using WSJT-X

I apologize as I know this has been covered before. The frustration here is that it was working fine the other day, and suddenly last night WSJT-X would no longer transmit. There seems to be no audio getting into the K3. I see and hear nothing from the K3 other than the red TX light. I've gone through the settings countless times and cannot find my error. I am confused by the fact that when I try to adjust the mic gain I end up selecting Line 0-60 which I don't think should be the case. By the way I am using the USB interface on the K3 for moving audio to and from the computer rather than an external soundcard. I'd appreciate it if someone showed me the error of my ways as I don't recall ever seeing this problem before. 

Rick, W2JAZ

Mike Flowers

This is often a result of a Windows update or other event that disturbs the configuration of your audio devices.  

Check the properties of the soundcard you’re using for WSJT-X. 

-- 73 de Mike Flowers, K6MKF, NCDXC - "It's about DX!"

On May 5, 2021, at 11:03 AM, Richard Lawn <rjlawn@...> wrote:

Rick, W2JAZ

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

Make sure the radio is in Data A mode.  Line Gain should be about 30 or so.  In F2 WSJT Setup menu, Audio tab, you should have the CODEX sound card selected.    The WSJT PWR slide should be near the top and the Windows SPKR lever about 30 to 50.  
You will need to adjust the levels so there is 4 bars illuminated on the ALC scale with the 5th bar flickering. 
Set the PWR control on the radio for the operating power you choose. 

Bob, K4TAX

On May 5, 2021, at 1:07 PM, Jeffrey griffin <kb2mjeff@...> wrote:

My audio drops out on occasion also. I find a WSJT s/w reboot fixes it every time….

73 Jeff kb2m

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Lawn
Sent: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 2:00 PM
Subject: [Elecraft-K3] TX suddenly stopped working using WSJT-X

Rick, W2JAZ

Richard Lawn

Never mind, found my mistake....it was in the VFO split setting.
Duh!

Rick. W2JAZ

Robert W5AJ

Interesting

Lately same issue.  Restart WSJT and fixed, however it was happening regularly.....

several sound devices here and disabled all but the external USB device being used by WSJT.
The problem has not occurred in this state, that of only the sound device used by WSJT is enabled.

Machine runs win10, my guess is WJST has bug or win10 or both....

73 W5aJ

On Wed, May 5, 2021, 12:03 PM Richard Lawn <rjlawn@...> wrote:

Rick, W2JAZ

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

To those who responded to this fellows issue and concern, no doubt it is real.  There are several things which can cause this.   However..........

For those who believe it is a Windows update issue...........I don't know how you handle your updates, but I have NEVER experienced issues after an update.  

For those who run other applications, some of which launch and run WSJT............I run WSJT-X latest release as a stand-a-lone application with ZERO issues in this regard.

For those who have occasional need to re-load WSJT because it suddenly stopped while operating...............I have found this most likely the issue of RF getting into the cables and into the computer.   Restarting WSJT restores the operation for a while.  This is usually noted on initiation of transmit.  May happen only on certain bands or antennas.

I guess what I'm saying here is the fact I have no problems with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, automatic updates applied, and a paid virus application running in the background.   I have no issues with the communications between the computer and the radio.    I run 160M - 6M up to 500 watts even with a balanced feed line/open wire or coax fed antennas.  Again ZERO issues.

So what gives with folks?    If I can make it work reliably using my old HP Elitebook 6930P, then I have to believe it isn't the fault of the computer, nor the fault of Windows 10, nor the fault of WSJT, nor the fault of my Elecraft K3S station.    The software and hardware is solid and is reliable.  That to me says one needs to look at their computer software maintenance procedure and scheduling, or their methods of using multiple applications being system integration. 

Otherwise......guess I'm just dumb lucky.

Bob, K4TAX

On 5/5/2021 12:59 PM, Richard Lawn wrote:

Rick, W2JAZ

Jim Brown

On 5/5/2021 2:23 PM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
I have NEVER experienced issues after an update
You are an exception.

73, Jim K9YC

Robert W5AJ

Bob, et.el.,

First, I use WSJT with Elecraft K3..  

I did not have this problem (wsjt losing its audio) when working ft8, 160M, HP working tx7t, that would have been pre Version 2.

But since updating WSJT, it started losing its audio out to rig.

I can turn on WSJT, ft8, come back hour later, and attempt qso, will key rig but output is zero and no audio with K3 monitor turned up.

Restart WSJT, it works fine.

Disable all other audio devices not used by WSJT and problem never resurfaces.

73 W5aJ

On Wed, May 5, 2021, 3:23 PM Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...> wrote:

To those who responded to this fellows issue and concern, no doubt it is real.  There are several things which can cause this.   However..........

For those who believe it is a Windows update issue...........I don't know how you handle your updates, but I have NEVER experienced issues after an update.  

For those who run other applications, some of which launch and run WSJT............I run WSJT-X latest release as a stand-a-lone application with ZERO issues in this regard.

For those who have occasional need to re-load WSJT because it suddenly stopped while operating...............I have found this most likely the issue of RF getting into the cables and into the computer.   Restarting WSJT restores the operation for a while.  This is usually noted on initiation of transmit.  May happen only on certain bands or antennas.

I guess what I'm saying here is the fact I have no problems with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, automatic updates applied, and a paid virus application running in the background.   I have no issues with the communications between the computer and the radio.    I run 160M - 6M up to 500 watts even with a balanced feed line/open wire or coax fed antennas.  Again ZERO issues.

So what gives with folks?    If I can make it work reliably using my old HP Elitebook 6930P, then I have to believe it isn't the fault of the computer, nor the fault of Windows 10, nor the fault of WSJT, nor the fault of my Elecraft K3S station.    The software and hardware is solid and is reliable.  That to me says one needs to look at their computer software maintenance procedure and scheduling, or their methods of using multiple applications being system integration. 

Bob, K4TAX

Rick, W2JAZ

Mike Flowers

I have two soundcards – one for digital operating and one for PC sounds, audio, etc.

Whenever my digital soundcard ends up becoming the ‘default audio device’ for one reason or another, then I start having difficulties with WSJT-X.

Now, that’s the first place I look and if it is the ‘default audio device’, I assign that property to my PC-dedicated soundcard.  

This happens occasionally after Windows updates.

This may or may not have a bearing to your situation, but it is certainly the issue here.

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, NCDXC Secretary

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert W5AJ
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2021 15:05
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] TX suddenly stopped working using WSJT-X

Bob, et.el.,

I did not have this problem (wsjt losing its audio) when working ft8, 160M, HP working tx7t, that would have been pre Version 2.

I can turn on WSJT, ft8, come back hour later, and attempt qso, will key rig but output is zero and no audio with K3 monitor turned up.

73 W5aJ

Bob, K4TAX

Rick, W2JAZ

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

Sounds as though your USB port is in a power saving mode and going to sleep from no use.  Check the port parameters in Device Driver.

Bob, K4TAX

On 5/5/2021 5:04 PM, Robert W5AJ wrote:

Bob, et.el.,

73 W5aJ

Bob, K4TAX

Rick, W2JAZ

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

Not at all surprised.  Windows doesn't know which sound card you are using and will always install the default one.   If you only had one, you'd not have a problem.   But that's the price you pay for your operating preferences.   Not Windows fault. 

I have only one sound card which is used for digital operation and the same is used for my audio editing.  Yes the values change between the two but it is no issue to simply switch from one to the other.  I just set it up the way needed for my application.

Bob, K4TAX

On 5/5/2021 5:14 PM, Mike Flowers wrote:

I have two soundcards – one for digital operating and one for PC sounds, audio, etc.

Whenever my digital soundcard ends up becoming the ‘default audio device’ for one reason or another, then I start having difficulties with WSJT-X.

Now, that’s the first place I look and if it is the ‘default audio device’, I assign that property to my PC-dedicated soundcard.  

This may or may not have a bearing to your situation, but it is certainly the issue here.

Bob, et.el.,

73 W5aJ

Bob, K4TAX

Rick, W2JAZ

Mike Flowers

Yep – there’s no perfect configuration.

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob McGraw - K4TAX
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2021 15:46

Not at all surprised.  Windows doesn't know which sound card you are using and will always install the default one.   If you only had one, you'd not have a problem.   But that's the price you pay for your operating preferences.   Not Windows fault. 

I have only one sound card which is used for digital operation and the same is used for my audio editing.  Yes the values change between the two but it is no issue to simply switch from one to the other.  I just set it up the way needed for my application.

Bob, K4TAX

On 5/5/2021 5:14 PM, Mike Flowers wrote:

Bob, et.el.,

73 W5aJ

Bob, K4TAX

Rick, W2JAZ

Robert W5AJ

Went over to WSJT email list

Where this discussion probably should be

Seems an audio issue is hot topic.  One of Authors posted Apr 26, should be resolved, some future release....   currently beta, rc releases.  Got email in to Bill.

Monitor WSJT website for future general release.   73 W5aJ

On 5/5/2021 5:04 PM, Robert W5AJ wrote:

Bob, et.el.,

73 W5aJ

Bob, K4TAX

Rick, W2JAZ

I'm a lucky guy also :-)
Never had an issue.

Arie PA3A

Op 5-5-2021 om 23:23 schreef Bob McGraw - K4TAX:

Bob, K4TAX

Gordon LaPoint

Bob,
   I can GUARANTEE that the stoppage is not caused by RF.  It happens to me and my TX/RX is remote many miles away.  I use a remote most of the time, but do use my home station some, the actions are the same.
Gordon - N1MGO

On 5/5/2021 17:23 PM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:

Bob, K4TAX

Rick, W2JAZ

Richard Lawn

Thanks. That’s basically what I did and things were working great until I let it all sit there for a while yesterday and the problem reoccurred - not audio output therefore no RF output. Very strange but I think a few of the other posts suggest what it might be. I’ll dig further.

rick, W2JAZ 

Dave (NK7Z)

Maybe one out of one hundred transmissions I will see no audio from the sound card. Next cycle it is fine. Other than than I have had flawless operation of WSJT-X, and JTAlert for years on Windows 10.

I have two sound cards. Updates have never caused an issue...

73, and thanks,
Dave (NK7Z)
https://www.nk7z.net
ARRL Volunteer Examiner
ARRL Technical Specialist, RFI
ARRL Asst. Director, NW Division, Technical Resources

On 5/6/21 5:38 AM, Gordon LaPoint wrote:
Bob,
   I can GUARANTEE that the stoppage is not caused by RF.  It happens to me and my TX/RX is remote many miles away.  I use a remote most of the time, but do use my home station some, the actions are the same.
Gordon - N1MGO
On 5/5/2021 17:23 PM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:

To those who responded to this fellows issue and concern, no doubt it is real.  There are several things which can cause this. However..........

For those who have occasional need to re-load WSJT because it suddenly stopped while operating...............I have found this most likely the issue of RF getting into the cables and into the computer. Restarting WSJT restores the operation for a while. This is usually noted on initiation of transmit.  May happen only on certain bands or antennas.

Bob, K4TAX

Rick, W2JAZ

Gene K5GS

I had the exact same failure 2 or 3 times in the past week, failed yesterday while working the DT8A, was trying to send the signal report.

Shut down WSJT-X and reloaded WSJT-X and worked DT8A a few minutes later. Same pattern as with the previous failure(s).

I'm wondering if the problem is:    I have DAX installed for my Flex 6xxx although the Flex wasn't on, but the DAX process is running.

I'll kill DAX when running WSJT-X and see what happens.

Cheers,
GS K5GS

Peder Kittelson

The question I have is when do we just get back to a simple radio experience?  Do we really want to import all the problems of modern computers into our radio systems?  I spent many years in the computer business as a tech installing and fixing computers and the networks/businesses they served.  Or at least they were supposed to serve them.  I will not go back to that constant set of ongoing, mysterious, gotta fix it properly right away problems.

One year ago I decided to seriously learn CW.  I successfully had tried FT8 for a while but longed for a simple carrier wave going out the back of my transceiver to an antenna that can be a lot of fun.  In the midst of common problems with working computer/transceiver interactions do you ever long for a return to simple radio?  It is still available to all of us.

By the way, I think you are all great to help people resolve these complex, multi-step issues.  For me, at least for now, my K3s is just humming along.  Not that I would never need help, you guys are the best.

Peder

W7RPK