Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] KPA500 & KAT500 Band Output Data,
From: "Kevin der Kinderen" <kkinderen@...>
Date: Tue, December 24, 2019 9:58 am
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io

When I ran the Power Combo with Flex I would use DDUtils. It will send commands to the KAT and KPA to match the freq setting on the radio. I did not use the new band data functionality direct from the radio. DDUtil offered some other features such as limiting output of the Flex when the KPA was in Operate  mode.

Kev

On Tue, Dec 24, 2019 at 10:55 AM Michael Foerster <mcfroston@...> wrote:
I have a friend that has a new KPA500 and KAT500 connected to a Flex 6600.

Does anyone know how the band data is collected from the Flex 6600?  I can't find a Band Out, so I'm assuming that they are either reading the frequency from the RF, or through the communications.
   What I'm wondering is if that band data is read and translated into the 4 bit Band Data (Band 1, Band 2, Band 3, Band 4 data bits) coming out of either the KPA500 or the KAT500.
     Does the KPA500 or KAT500 translate the data stream to the Band Data?

I have a K3s & KPA500, but I read the Band Data bits into an Arduino to control my remote antenna switching automatically.  When I change bands, it changes antennas.
   I've also built an Arduino antenna switch for our club Remote HF station which has an ICOM IC-7300 with the analog output voltage to indicate which band is selected.

My friend has a relay switch to control his antennas and I'm trying to figure out how I can help him with this setup.
  I'm just trying to figure out how I can detect the band with the Flex > Electraft Amp/Tuner duo...
     I'd just as soon not tap off the Serial Comms line to detect the band change (though I've done this for my home brew 1.2KW amp).

73,
  Mike, W0IH