Topics

Telex Aviation Headset Use w/K3

Lee Broestl

Greetings to all.
I would like to operate a Telex 750 aviation headset formerly used in my past life.  My goal is to use the headset for hands free ops at the shack and future mobile/portable ops. There are two male plugs, one 3.5 mm plug (mono) for the headphone side and the other a ¼” plug (stereo) for the microphone.  The mic is an electret type. Impedance info states that it is between 15-600 ohms.  Fortunately, both male plugs are still installed.  I plan on connecting through to a female stereo plug, then connected to the K3’s front panel eight pin connecter.  Anyone having step by step installation experience with would be appreciated.

Lee - AA5LH

Michael Mickelson

Hi Lee,  I wonder if the mono plug is for the mic and the stereo plug for the phones?   My Heil head set is set up that way.  The electret mic will need bias which you can select from the menu.  Heil makes and adapter for the K3 and Kenwood headset it is the following if you don't want to wire your own.  It is available from several suppliers such as DXE. The mic plugs into the smaller of the two jacks on the adapter.  The other for a 1/4" plug is for a foot switch or a push to talk switch...

Regards, Mike KD8DZ

Heil Sound AD-1-K - Heil Sound Headset Adapter Cables

Click here for more information about Heil Sound AD-1-K - Heil Sound Headset Adapter Cables
Compare

Headset Boom-Microphone Adapter Cable, Kenwood/Elecraft/Alinco, 8-Pin Round, w/Mono 1/4 in. Female PTT, Each

(3)

Part Number: HLS-AD-1-K More Detail...

--
Michael Mickelson
J. Reid Anderson Professor of Physics and Astronomy, emeritus

Barry Baines

Lee:
Mike:

On Apr 20, 2020, at 11:45 AM, Michael Mickelson <mickelson@...> wrote:

Hi Lee,  I wonder if the mono plug is for the mic and the stereo plug for the phones?

Aviation headsets are a different breed.  I suggest that some internet searches will clarify the differences. For example:

shows an interface box where the stereo jack for the aviation headset goes to the Mic input of the FT100 RJ-45 cable.

Here’s a second website showing an interface box schematic that allows a David Clark headset to connect to a FT-897:

I’m not an electrical engineer, but it appears to me that there is more involved than simply looking at what connector(s) is on the headset given the wiring used in these headsets….

FWIW,

Barry, WD4ASW
(Keller, TX)

[...]

Thanks Barry for the information.  This should assist Lee if he decides to use this headset.  Mike

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 1:15 PM Barry Baines via groups.io <bbaines=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Mel Marcus

the mike might need bias and that can be provided by the k3. are the earphone stereo. also, there is an 8 pin adapter that splits off to the stereo plug for the mike with bias and another plug that connects to the remote PTT.

Hope this helps

Mel
NE9A