Topics

RS-232 to USB A cable KD8DZ

Stephen Walls

frugal---yes

BUT----you get what you pay for

in my world,

PROLIFIC = run the other way as fast as you can ! ! ! !

Steve K4ELI

Ken Talbott

No need for apology Mike, this topic will recur as long as there is a USB interface. One point not often mentioned is the fact that Prolific withdrew the software license for its driver version 3.2 and earlier (the ones that work with the pirated chip). They promised to prosecute anyone who redistributed the old driver. Never heard of any real action.

It’s also interesting that the chip wasn’t pirated by reverse engineering, the actual mask was stolen! That’s what allows the current driver to recognize the bogus part and not run (Error 10, Failed to Start).

Details on how to use these parts (but not the driver itself) can be seen at:

http://ke4rg.blogspot.com/2015/04/prolific-2303hxaxa-this-device-cannot.html

Note also that some rigs with the internal USB chip and a straight through cable also suffer from this gremlin, early LD-5’s for example.

I use the old part with no difficulty. Not hard once you understand what’s going on.

73 de ken ke4rg

From: "Stephen Walls" <swalls46@...>
Date: Mon, November 04, 2019 7:37 am
To: elecraft-k3@groups.io

frugal---yes

BUT----you get what you pay for

in my world,

PROLIFIC = run the other way as fast as you can ! ! ! !

Steve K4ELI

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

I agree, the K3IOB solves many issues and makes digital operation easy to configure and use and highly reliable day in and day out.  Fewer cables, fewer connectors, fewer adjustments to get incorrect.