Topics

RS-232 to USB A cable KD8DZ

Michael Mickelson

Is the preferred chip set the Prolific PL2303 HXB for this cable?

de mike kd8dz

--
Michael Mickelson
J. Reid Anderson Professor of Physics and Astronomy, emeritus

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

I use a cable which has the FTDI chipset from R T Systems.   It is the model USB-RTS03.    I don't think the Prolific is correct nor advisable.

On 10/31/2019 12:46 PM, Michael Mickelson wrote:
Is the preferred chip set the Prolific PL2303 HXB for this cable?

de mike kd8dz

--
Michael Mickelson
J. Reid Anderson Professor of Physics and Astronomy, emeritus
Denison University
740-587-0687 H
740-644-1238 M

Carl Moreschi

No the preferred chipset is FTDI.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549
www.n4py.com

On 10/31/2019 1:46 PM, Michael Mickelson wrote:
Is the preferred chip set the Prolific PL2303 HXB for this cable?

de mike kd8dz

--
Michael Mickelson
J. Reid Anderson Professor of Physics and Astronomy, emeritus
Denison University
740-587-0687 H
740-644-1238 M

Michael Mickelson

Thanks Bob.  I had heard that one had some problems.  I will go with the cable using the FTDI.

Mike kd8dz

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 8:32 PM Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...> wrote:

I use a cable which has the FTDI chipset from R T Systems.   It is the model USB-RTS03.    I don't think the Prolific is correct nor advisable.

On 10/31/2019 12:46 PM, Michael Mickelson wrote:
Is the preferred chip set the Prolific PL2303 HXB for this cable?

de mike kd8dz

--
Michael Mickelson
J. Reid Anderson Professor of Physics and Astronomy, emeritus
Denison University
740-587-0687 H
740-644-1238 M

--
Michael Mickelson
J. Reid Anderson Professor of Physics and Astronomy, emeritus
Denison University
740-587-0687 H
740-644-1238 M

Scott Small AD6YT

"Prolific"=pain, in my experience

TrippLite high speed using ftdi chipset will be least pain on a mac, fwiw.
Trying to recall the other name for it pre/post buyout.

Scott
ad6yt

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 7:00 PM Carl Moreschi <n4py3@...> wrote:

No the preferred chipset is FTDI.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549
www.n4py.com

On 10/31/2019 1:46 PM, Michael Mickelson wrote:
Is the preferred chip set the Prolific PL2303 HXB for this cable?

de mike kd8dz

--
Michael Mickelson
J. Reid Anderson Professor of Physics and Astronomy, emeritus
Denison University
740-587-0687 H
740-644-1238 M

--
Scott Small

Ken Talbott

The obsoleted Prolific XA and HXA devices work well, but require extra effort. The devices were declared end-of-life and the driver support was removed because of widespread piracy of the hardware. How to:

http://ke4rg.blogspot.com/2015/04/prolific-2303hxaxa-this-device-cannot.html

If you can't find the driver, I will try to help. BTW, I don't think the Prolific PL2303 HXB is affected, just the XA and HXA.

Finally, I operate a humanitarian Prolific rescue. If anyone wants to scrap the cables I'll pay shipping.

GL de ken ke4rg

[...]

Thanks to everyone who replied.  Glad I found this K3 group.  I think Bob mentioned it on the Elecraft List a while back.  Mike kd8dz

--
Scott Small

--
Michael Mickelson
J. Reid Anderson Professor of Physics and Astronomy, emeritus
Denison University
740-587-0687 H
740-644-1238 M

Steve

The inexpensive Chinese 6 dollar cables use the Prolific drivers which are available for download.  The better cables use FTDI.  The difficulty using the Prolific cables and drivers is that each time Microsoft updates drivers, it will replace your Prolific drivers with FTDI and your cable will fail to operate.  Save yourself the difficulty buy just using the better cable to begin with.  These are available from Elecraft or RT Systems.

Michael Mickelson

Thanks Steve.  Several have recommended avoiding the Prolific.  I have one of the FTDI cables on order. de Mike kd8dz

On Sun, Nov 3, 2019 at 7:35 PM Steve <99sunset@...> wrote:
The inexpensive Chinese 6 dollar cables use the Prolific drivers which are available for download.  The better cables use FTDI.  The difficulty using the Prolific cables and drivers is that each time Microsoft updates drivers, it will replace your Prolific drivers with FTDI and your cable will fail to operate.  Save yourself the difficulty buy just using the better cable to begin with.  These are available from Elecraft or RT Systems.

--
Michael Mickelson
J. Reid Anderson Professor of Physics and Astronomy, emeritus
Denison University
740-587-0687 H
740-644-1238 M

Mel Marcus

I have been watching this thread concerning the usb to serial cable.  I am not sure why people just don't purchase the Elecraft one.

Mel
NE9A

The inexpensive Chinese 6 dollar cables use the Prolific drivers which are available for download.  The better cables use FTDI.  The difficulty using the Prolific cables and drivers is that each time Microsoft updates drivers, it will replace your Prolific drivers with FTDI and your cable will fail to operate.  Save yourself the difficulty buy just using the better cable to begin with.  These are available from Elecraft or RT Systems.

Kelly Breed

I ordered a cable with what I thought was an FTDI chip but it would not work. I deleted the Prolific driver and re-installed the FTDI driver but it still would not work. I even cut the cable apart and put the scope on it and saw that signal was going to the radio. In the end I bought the Elecraft cable and it worked perfectly first time.

Kelly Breed
AE6KZ

On Oct 31, 2019, at 10:46 AM, Michael Mickelson <mickelson@...> wrote:

Is the preferred chip set the Prolific PL2303 HXB for this cable?

de mike kd8dz

--
Michael Mickelson
J. Reid Anderson Professor of Physics and Astronomy, emeritus
Denison University
740-587-0687 H
740-644-1238 M

Ken Talbott

Hams are frugal

Ken ke4rg

I have been watching this thread concerning the usb to serial cable.  I am not sure why people just don't purchase the Elecraft one.

Mel

NE9A

The inexpensive Chinese 6 dollar cables use the Prolific drivers which are available for download.  The better cables use FTDI.  The difficulty using the Prolific cables and drivers is that each time Microsoft updates drivers, it will replace your Prolific drivers with FTDI and your cable will fail to operate.  Save yourself the difficulty buy just using the better cable to begin with.  These are available from Elecraft or RT Systems.

Jerry

Ken,

My dad who has been gone since 1989 and was a ham in the 30’s used to say “Hams are cheap”, but that’s not politically correct today and some people’s feelings might be hurt.

Cheers,

Jerry, W1IE

I have been watching this thread concerning the usb to serial cable.  I am not sure why people just don't purchase the Elecraft one.

Mel

NE9A

The inexpensive Chinese 6 dollar cables use the Prolific drivers which are available for download.  The better cables use FTDI.  The difficulty using the Prolific cables and drivers is that each time Microsoft updates drivers, it will replace your Prolific drivers with FTDI and your cable will fail to operate.  Save yourself the difficulty buy just using the better cable to begin with.  These are available from Elecraft or RT Systems.

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

When I got into ham radio I built my transmitter from parts salvaged from discarded TV sets.  These were free.  I wasn't cheap nor frugal, I was in high school and didn't have much money to spend, period.   Later I got a job and was able to buy a few new parts.  And then later buy new radios.

I think today hams look to buy and not build.  Thus the price is the first objective with most purchases.  Ham radio today is not an inexpensive hobby.    In that regard, I've learned many a hard lesson, "one gets what they pay for".   I often say when assisting others with issues, "that item should be put in a bucket of water three times and taken out twice".   In other words, it isn't worth keeping or using.   It is just junk and there is lots of that being sold today under the pretense of good merchandise.   The world has gotten into the model of less cost and lower margins to effect sales.

From: "Ken Talbott" <ktalbott@...>
Date: Mon, November 04, 2019 6:21 am
To: <Elecraft-K3@groups.io>

Hams are frugal
Ken ke4rg

From: "Steve" <99sunset@...>
Date: Sun, November 03, 2019 5:22 pm
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io

The inexpensive Chinese 6 dollar cables use the Prolific drivers which are available for download.  The better cables use FTDI.  The difficulty using the Prolific cables and drivers is that each time Microsoft updates drivers, it will replace your Prolific drivers with FTDI and your cable will fail to operate.  Save yourself the difficulty buy just using the better cable to begin with.  These are available from Elecraft or RT Systems.

Charlie T, k3ICH

I once played a frugal horn in the school band…….

but are you saying they dont value their time?

I have been watching this thread concerning the usb to serial cable.  I am not sure why people just don't purchase the Elecraft one.

Mel

NE9A

The inexpensive Chinese 6 dollar cables use the Prolific drivers which are available for download.  The better cables use FTDI.  The difficulty using the Prolific cables and drivers is that each time Microsoft updates drivers, it will replace your Prolific drivers with FTDI and your cable will fail to operate.  Save yourself the difficulty buy just using the better cable to begin with.  These are available from Elecraft or RT Systems.

QUENTIN COLLIER

Was that the school HF band Charlie?

73, Quin G3WRR