Properly wiring a straight key?

Ian Kahn

Hello, Elecrafters! I'm newly getting into CW and acquired a used J-37 as my first straight key. It needs to be mounted and properly wired up. Despite checking my K3 manual, Dr. Cady's book, the forums, and my Google-fu (which is, admittedly, below par), I can't find details on how to properly wire this straight key for my K3, and, when they're available as a kit, my K4. I'm probably overthinking something really simple, but I want to make sure I do this correctly, the first time.

Any pointers/tips/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and 73,

Ian, NV4C

Greg Mitchell

You just need a 1/4" "mono" plug with one contact from the key on the tip and one contact on the sleeve. It's just a simple switch.

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 5:59 PM Ian Kahn <nv4c.ian@...> wrote:
Hello, Elecrafters! I'm newly getting into CW and acquired a used J-37 as my first straight key. It needs to be mounted and properly wired up. Despite checking my K3 manual, Dr. Cady's book, the forums, and my Google-fu (which is, admittedly, below par), I can't find details on how to properly wire this straight key for my K3, and, when they're available as a kit, my K4. I'm probably overthinking something really simple, but I want to make sure I do this correctly, the first time.

Any pointers/tips/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and 73,

Ian, NV4C

wb6bee

And it plugs in the back where it says "key"

Don
WB6BEE

Ian Kahn

Thanks to all who replied. I figured it had to be something this simple. However, not being 100% certain, I wanted to ask.

It's better to ask and be thought foolish, than to make a big mistaken and be proven to be foolish!

73 de,

Ian, NV4C