Programming 60m channels in K3

Roy Morris, Jr.

One of my K3 radios is programmed as follows:

Channel 10  5330.5  USB  5332 CW
Channel  11  5346.5  USB  5348 CW
Channel  12  5357.0  USB  5358.5 CW
Channel  13  5371.5  USB  5373 CW
Channel  14  5403.5  USB  5405 CW

I want to program another K3 using these channels the same way.  I do not remember how I loaded these channels years ago.  Neither Fred Cady's manual, the K3 Owner's Manual nor the K3 Utility shows me how the CW frequencies can be permanently entered and saved in the above configuration .  I hold B-Set and enter CW settings in sub receiver.  They appear to be saved.  When I try to save new frequency settings in another channel, the saved frequencies in the previous channels are no longer saved.  After attempting to load CW frequencies in the sub receiver (with B-Set) or attempting to take CW frequency to main VFO position (and changing Mode to CW) to load and tapping V>M, it appears to be loaded.  It does not remain loaded.  The following is what I see after attempting to load these five channels.  What am I doing wrong?

Channel  10  5330.5  USB   5332  USB
Channel  11  5346.5  USB   5332  USB
Channel  12  5357.0  USB   5346.5 USB
Channel  13  5371.5  USB   5346.5 USB
Channel  14  5403.5  USB   5346.5 USB

Thanks for helping me.  73,  Roy Morris  W4WFB

Sandor Wetsel

There is a Memory Utility on the software page for the K3/S.  I programmed mine by hand first then used to utilty to read the radio and save the memory file.

Sandor KG4FET
GOD SAVE OUR NATION!

On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 7:21 AM, Roy Morris, Jr. via groups.io
<w4wfb@...> wrote:
[...]

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

Please re-check your frequencies per the band plan.  CW should be the center channel frequency and USB should be the lower channel frequency.

Yes, the K3 Editor is the easier way to load the frequencies into memory.

Roy Morris, Jr.

Hello Bob,
I was unable to get the CW mode and frequencies to hold in memory when programming directly into the K3.  I loaded the Elecraft Frequency Memory Editor and was able to accomplish the correct settings.
While I was looking in the Fred Cady manual I saw this and implemented it:
The CONFIG: MEM  0-9 menu allows you to change how recalling a general purpose 00-99 works. Normally, as you rotate VFO A to select a memory, the K3 switches to that frequency as soon as you stop turning it. If, in the CONFIG: MEM 0-9 menu you tap [1] and select M>V DLY, the receiver will not switch to the new frequency until you tap M>V.  I no longer hear the relays clicking as I rotate VFO A through the bands, especially if I rotate slowly.  Maybe this will save wear and tear on the relays.
Thanks for your reply.  Roy  W4WFB

Roy Morris, Jr.

Sandor,
Thanks for suggestion to use the  Elecraft Frequency Memory Editor.  I used it and was able to enter the frequencies and modes correctly.  Thanks again. Best 73,  Roy  W4WFB