Topics

Possibly wide signal on 80m

Ignacy Misztal

Today I was calling D2EB on 3521. Several hams wrote that my signal was S9 signal on 3524, a frequency of 9J2LA.
I captured the signal by SDR-IQ. The spurs at about -40 db are about 4 KHz wide. What could be happening?
My K3 is #2289.
Ignacy, NO9E

wb6bee

Ignacy

Search this forum for "CW Noise Pedestal" and read that thread.  In the thread is a link to a modification for K3 that added a capacitor to the fans that "could" be your issue".    Cheap modification from Elecraft and easy to install.    The problem I had with my K3s required sending it back to Elecraft to repair.   It came back and is working great.

Don
WB6BEE

Ignacy Misztal

"Noise pedestal" applies to K3 or K3S with the new synthesizer. My K3 is old in the 2k series with the original synthesizer.
It turned out that my signal was 40 KHz wide, with spurs every 700 Hz.  Embarrassing.

Ignacy, NO9E

Ray Maxfield

I would Adjust the Power Out Level to see if it changes.

Ray WA6VAB

"Noise pedestal" applies to K3 or K3S with the new synthesizer. My K3 is old in the 2k series with the original synthesizer.
It turned out that my signal was 40 KHz wide, with spurs every 700 Hz.  Embarrassing.

Ignacy, NO9E

David G3YYD

Two things I can think of.

There was an additional capacitor accidentally installed on some 100 watt PAs that caused an oscillation look at Elecraft website for serial numbers that needed the capacitor removed and mod leaflet.

The other is the PSU is faulty easy enough to check or substitute different PSU/battery.

73 David G3YYD