P3 pan scope fails to start at power up

southdaleus

Run into a bit of a problem here, not too serious, but I want to see if anyone else ran into this.

I have the P3 powered by the 12 volt outlet on my K3s and it's been working fine for a few years.  Lately when I power up the K3s the P3 screen flashes once and goes out and does not power up until I push the power button on the P3.  I put my Fluke 77 on the power outlet from the K3s and it shows more than 13 volts at power up.   Right now I'm using an external ps to power the P3.

Anybody else run into this?  If so what was the solution?

Dale, K9VUJ

Dale,

Few thoughts here: 

By using an external power supply instead of the DC output from your K3s I'm sure you are using a completely different power cable.

That being said ... try your original DC power cable (or maybe a new one) between the P3 and the K3s. Just a trouble-shooting step.

Was the P3 power button accidentally pushed so that even when you powered up your K3s the P3 power switch was actually
in the off position? Maybe an accidental push to off without realizing?

Exercise the P3 power button ... maybe dirty contacts?

--
73  -  KI5IO - Nolan K.

Rick Tavan

I'm late to this conversation so excuse me if this is redundant: There is a P3 option to turn on when power is applied or to turn on only when the power button is pressed. It's an internal jumper described in the Owners Manual under the heading Configuration.

/Rick N6XI

--
--

Rick Tavan
Truckee and Saratoga, CA

southdaleus

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 04:52 PM, Nolan - KI5IO wrote:
That's a thought.  My P3 power button never gets used because the scope comes on automatically when the K3s is powered up.  I will disconnect the power from the back and try the button several times.  If it's accessible I could squirt some deoxit in there.  Thanks Nolan.

Dale, K9VUJ

Ken Doornbos

My P3 always takes separate button push to come on.BUT ALWAYS turns off when powering down my K3S.Never gave much thought??

Ken W7DSZ

On Jul 29, 2021, at 8:09 AM, southdaleus via groups.io <dalej2@...> wrote:

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 04:52 PM, Nolan - KI5IO wrote:
That's a thought.  My P3 power button never gets used because the scope comes on automatically when the K3s is powered up.  I will disconnect the power from the back and try the button several times.  If it's accessible I could squirt some deoxit in there.  Thanks Nolan.

Dale, K9VUJ

southdaleus

My P3 comes on automatically when I power up the K3s that is until recently.  Now sometimes it stalls at power up, the  display blinks a few times and then either goes dark or comes to life.  I just had the power cable out and inspected it, used a little deoxit on it and it checked out fine.  I don't like RCA sockets very much.  I'm wondering if there might be something inside the P3 that is a problem.  I should open it up and take a look around.  It's been a few years since I put it together from a kit.  

Dale, K9VUJ

Mike Flowers

Probably worth your time to open up the P3 and reseat ribbon connectors, etc. 

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, NCDXC Vice-President 2021-2022

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> On Behalf Of southdaleus via groups.io
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2021 06:47
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] P3 pan scope fails to start at power up

My P3 comes on automatically when I power up the K3s that is until recently.  Now sometimes it stalls at power up, the  display blinks a few times and then either goes dark or comes to life.  I just had the power cable out and inspected it, used a little deoxit on it and it checked out fine.  I don't like RCA sockets very much.  I'm wondering if there might be something inside the P3 that is a problem.  I should open it up and take a look around.  It's been a few years since I put it together from a kit.  

Dale, K9VUJ

southdaleus

I did that, reseated the ribbon connection, no change.  In fact the P3SVGA has now failed and won't send a signal to the external monitor.  I tried reloading firmware and it won't load the FPGA 0 through 4.  Utility says SVGA firmware is 1.34, but it won't send a signal to the external monitor.  further, it slows the P3 display way down.  I completely removed the P3SVGA board and the P3 alone works fine in all areas.  I do miss the external monitor.  I have the P3SVGA in ESD bag now and ready to ship.  I sent a message to support and hopefully they will give me an RMA so I can ship it in for repair.  

Dale, K9VUJ 

Bill K9YEQ

Have you tried a different monitor?

Bill

K9YEQ

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> On Behalf Of southdaleus via groups.io
Sent: Monday, August 2, 2021 8:57 AM

I did that, reseated the ribbon connection, no change.  In fact the P3SVGA has now failed and won't send a signal to the external monitor.  I tried reloading firmware and it won't load the FPGA 0 through 4.  Utility says SVGA firmware is 1.34, but it won't send a signal to the external monitor.  further, it slows the P3 display way down.  I completely removed the P3SVGA board and the P3 alone works fine in all areas.  I do miss the external monitor.  I have the P3SVGA in ESD bag now and ready to ship.  I sent a message to support and hopefully they will give me an RMA so I can ship it in for repair.  

Dale, K9VUJ 

southdaleus

Hi Bill

Yeah, the monitor is good.  I packed up the P3SVGA board up and shipped it to Elecraft today after consulting with support.  They will check it out.  I'm hoping they can repair it, there are none available anymore. I do miss the larger screen.  I did a lot of testing here before calling support and concluded it's the board.  

So keeping fingers crossed...they charge $125/hr for work, but If they can fix it fine.  There is several LSIC's on the board so if it's one of them, round file it.  :)

I checked also my order for the K4, they told me by the end of 2021....no problem.  Maybe big Christmas gift from my kat to me.....LOL

Dale, K9VUJ

Don Jones

I'm beginning to worry that it is time to dump my Elecraft gear do to MTBF component failures. 
These reports are really disappointing. 
Don KO7I 

Sent from Samsung tablet

Dave (NK7Z)

Whats for sale?

On 8/4/21 9:38 AM, Don Jones wrote:
I'm beginning to worry that it is time to dump my Elecraft gear do to MTBF component failures.
Don KO7I
Sent from Samsung tablet
Dave,
https://www.nk7z.net

Richard Smith

Now that’s funny.

On Aug 4, 2021, at 11:43, Dave (NK7Z) <dave@nk7z.net> wrote:

Whats for sale?

On 8/4/21 9:38 AM, Don Jones wrote:
Don KO7I
Sent from Samsung tablet
Dave,
https://www.nk7z.net

Ray Maxfield

MTBF component failures…………..

Should be 7 Years………..

Retired Components Engineer.   WA6VAB  Ray K3, Still running Strong ! 

Sent: Wednesday, August 4, 2021 9:56 AM

Now that’s funny.

> On Aug 4, 2021, at 11:43, Dave (NK7Z) <dave@...> wrote:

>

> Whats for sale?

>

>> On 8/4/21 9:38 AM, Don Jones wrote:

>> I'm beginning to worry that it is time to dump my Elecraft gear do to MTBF component failures.

>> These reports are really disappointing.

>> Don KO7I

>> Sent from Samsung tablet

> 73,

> Dave,

> https://www.nk7z.net

>

>

>

>

>

>

Bill K9YEQ

Are you kidding me?  Stuff can fail.  Do what you feel, but, please don’t try to create a negative group think.  That is sooo disappointing.

Bill

K9YEQ

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> On Behalf Of Don Jones
Sent: Wednesday, August 4, 2021 11:38 AM

Don KO7I 

Sent from Samsung tablet