Topics

P3 and Yeasu 5000

Ed Pflueger

Pierre VA2CZ has a Yeasu 5000 and now a P3.  Anyone have any ideas on configuration for this rig?  We both are looking at page 25 in the manual but he’s a 1000 miles from me so it’s a long drive for me to try to help him out.

Ed.. AB4IQ

Drew Vonada-Smith K3PA

Page 25 of which manual?

Do you mean an Elecraft Panadaptor?  A panadaptor (generally) works on the IF output of a radio.  The K3 and FT5k have different IF frequencies.  The P3 is not compatible.

73,

Drew K3PA

Ed Pflueger

Well the IF out of the 5000 is 9mhz I believe and you can change the P3 to 9mhz and yes I am looking at p25 of the P3 manual and it says using the P3 with other transceivers and how to set it up.  I do use the P3 with my K2, K3S’s and K3 but I haven’t tried another manufactures rig set up.

Ed.. AB4IQ

Do you mean an Elecraft Panadaptor?  A panadaptor (generally) works on the IF output of a radio.  The K3 and FT5k have different IF frequencies.  The P3 is not compatible.

73,

Drew K3PA

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

Per the P3 manual, "it may be used with a receiver having an IF between 455 kHz and 21.7 MHz. "    So what is the IF frequency of the FT-5000K?

On 1/15/2020 3:25 PM, Drew Vonada-Smith K3PA wrote:

Page 25 of which manual?

Do you mean an Elecraft Panadaptor?  A panadaptor (generally) works on the IF output of a radio.  The K3 and FT5k have different IF frequencies.  The P3 is not compatible.

73,

Drew K3PA

Ed Pflueger

9mhz Bob and Pierre has changed the P3 to 9mhz and it isn’t working.  So I’m looking for something to turn on in the 5000 or if something else has to be done.  I called Elecraft and left a message but probably should have put a ticket on it.  What it amounts to I sold it to him and just trying to help him getting it going.  I needed the room for when the K4 shows up. Hi

Ed…

Per the P3 manual, "it may be used with a receiver having an IF between 455 kHz and 21.7 MHz. "    So what is the IF frequency of the FT-5000K?

On 1/15/2020 3:25 PM, Drew Vonada-Smith K3PA wrote:

Page 25 of which manual?

Do you mean an Elecraft Panadaptor?  A panadaptor (generally) works on the IF output of a radio.  The K3 and FT5k have different IF frequencies.  The P3 is not compatible.

73,

Drew K3PA

Ed Pflueger

I believe the Menu item 109 in the FT 5000 enabled will fix the problem.  Tnx to all who responded.

Ed.. AB4IQ

Pierre VA2CZ has a Yeasu 5000 and now a P3.  Anyone have any ideas on configuration for this rig?  We both are looking at page 25 in the manual but he’s a 1000 miles from me so it’s a long drive for me to try to help him out.

Ed.. AB4IQ

Rob Sherwood

I setup a P3 to work with an R-4C.  The IF of 5645 kHz was already preprogrammed into the P3.  It works with a lot of IF frequencies, not just the K3 IF.  Rob, NC0B

On Jan 15, 2020, at 2:32 PM, Ed Pflueger <ab4iq@...> wrote:

Well the IF out of the 5000 is 9mhz I believe and you can change the P3 to 9mhz and yes I am looking at p25 of the P3 manual and it says using the P3 with other transceivers and how to set it up.  I do use the P3 with my K2, K3S’s and K3 but I haven’t tried another manufactures rig set up.

Ed.. AB4IQ

Do you mean an Elecraft Panadaptor?  A panadaptor (generally) works on the IF output of a radio.  The K3 and FT5k have different IF frequencies.  The P3 is not compatible.

73,

Drew K3PA

Rob Sherwood

I added an FET buffer amp and an emitter follower to the R-4C since there was no IF output. Does the FTdx-5000 have an 9 MHz output on the rear panel?  Rob, NC0B

[...]

Thanks Rob, I believe the issue will probably turn out to be menu 109 and turn the port on in the 5000.  I haven’t heard back yet from Pierre.  He did have the P3 set at 9mhz.  Yes I changed one of my P3’s to work with my K2 by changing the P3 to the K2 IF out.  The frequencies were in the box by turning the select knob..  Yes on the IF out on the 5000.

Ed.. AB4IQ

Do you mean an Elecraft Panadaptor?  A panadaptor (generally) works on the IF output of a radio.  The K3 and FT5k have different IF frequencies.  The P3 is not compatible.

73,

Drew K3PA

Steve Sawyer

Ed set the P3 RS232 menu to what is set in menu  32 if the 5000.  Mine is set at 38400.  Next go to the P3 menu Xcvf Def (set  Language to none   IF tuning to Inverted   IF center freq to 9mhz)  Next check Xcvr Sel menu and set it to 9 MHZ Inverted  I think this is all I changed to get the P3 working with my 5000 but it was a few years back.  I will look around and if I find an more information will pass it along.

Steve (KT0DX)

On 1/15/2020 21:39, Ed Pflueger wrote:

[...]

Sorry about the misinfo...I never had heard about the P3 being a general purpose device before.

73,

Drew K3PA

Ed Pflueger

Not a problem Drew, Pierre (VA2CZ) has it now working thanks to all of the advice from users and Elecraft support.

73’s Ed… AB4IQ