Topics

OT - Radio interference from Solar Panels

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

The Swedish Electrical Safety Agency and the Swedish Energy Agency are investigating radio interference from installations with solar panels

Sweden's national amateur radio society SSA reports:  Solar panels are becoming more and more common.   An increasing problem is that interference can be created to radio reception.   The newsletter (LÄNK) from the Swedish Electricity Safety Agency states that they are looking more closely at the inverters and optimizers found in solar panel installations.  The Swedish Electric Safety Authority is doing this together with the Swedish Energy Agency in a project that is ongoing until March 2020.

The Swedish Electricity Safety Agency article is at
https://www.elsakerhetsverket.se/om-oss/press/nyhetsbrev/2019/december/storande-solceller/

Source SSA https://tinyurl.com/SwedenSSA

Clive Lorton

On Sat, 18 Jan 2020 at 18:45, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...> wrote:
The Swedish Electrical Safety Agency and the Swedish Energy Agency are investigating radio interference from installations with solar panels

Sweden's national amateur radio society SSA reports:  Solar panels are becoming more and more common.   An increasing problem is that interference can be created to radio reception.   The newsletter (LÄNK) from the Swedish Electricity Safety Agency states that they are looking more closely at the inverters and optimizers found in solar panel installations.  The Swedish Electric Safety Authority is doing this together with the Swedish Energy Agency in a project that is ongoing until March 2020.

The Swedish Electricity Safety Agency article is at
https://www.elsakerhetsverket.se/om-oss/press/nyhetsbrev/2019/december/storande-solceller/

Source SSA https://tinyurl.com/SwedenSSA

Clive Lorton

We have a Fronius it’s ten yeas old now and no interference what so ever from top and through to 2 meters.   The Worcester Bosh Ground Source heat pump is another matter. But I can switch it off when needed :-)

Solar combined with the heat pump equals in surplus file bill heating and electricity,  just, over a 12 month period.

73 from Clive G8POC

[...]

CR

I notice an 5 dB increase in noise on 20m and up during sun as I rotate my hex beam toward my 3 kW grid-connected PVs. The chopper noise from the Fronius inverter I suspect is being conducted thru the DC lines to the roof-mounted array.

Geert Jan de Groot

Sorry for adding to an OT topic but - good receivers want clean signals.

It is surprising how different parts of the world report differently on different interference sources.
Here in the Netherlands solar panel interference is a serious, serious issue, masking signals up to 144 MHz and higher.
The regulator has limited resources to address this. Interference is so bad that when Ms Trump visited the Netherlands a few months back, some solarpanel installations were ordered to be disabled during the visit because the installation was making the local police/fire/ambulance service unusable.

A couple of datapoints of misery.
If the wires of the solar panel are correctly twisted, then interference is much less, however, installers split the cables to save on wire cost, creating a loop antenna.
And the solar panels in itself don't create the interference, however the inverter (converting solar energy to grid voltage, and optimizing solar panel load) is often the cause. These units are supposed to be installed with proper earthing and shielding but, again, installers skimp on cost and getting the regulator to enforce is a challenge.
There are also many reports of solar panels causing fires (low voltages, high amps and poor connectors), enough to cause insurance issues.
In that regard, I welcome the Swedish report on this; I thought the population density was an issue but that doesn't apply as much in Sweden.

When I read an ARRL magazine, I seldom hear something about solar panels but reports on lamp ballasts are rife. These lamps are used for growing pot so an illegal grower would have a very good case for not causing interference and not be measurable, but interference reports are rife. I do wonder where the difference comes from (The Netherlands has a fair amount of growing activity, but lamp ballasts are never mentioned here).

Meanwhile, if you want to enjoy your K3, nee K4, then moving to a remote location makes all the difference, which is something I worry about.

73, Geert Jan PE1HZG