From: Robin Kidd
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 1:38 AM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: [Elecraft-K3] Off Topic Question for Group

I have been hearing reports that the state government in California has shut down some repeaters located on high points.  I know this question is a bit strange but I really wanted to find out the truth.

72/73,

EM73vx

Robin

G-QRP #12386

SKCC #7294

W4IEN

w4ien@...

David McAnally

I think this is what you are referring to.  When I saw / heard the first report, my thought was "click bait".

Report Causes Concern and Confusion in California’s Amateur Radio Ranks
10/15/2019

By all credible and reliable accounts, the State of California has not turned its back on Amateur Radio as an emergency communication resource nor have established repeater owners been asked to remove their equipment from state-owned sites unless they pay sizeable fees.

See the web page for more information.

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 3:38 AM Robin Kidd <w4ien@...> wrote:
I have been hearing reports that the state government in California has shut down some repeaters located on high points.  I know this question is a bit strange but I really wanted to find out the truth.

72/73,
EM73vx
Robin
G-QRP #12386
SKCC #7294
W4IEN
w4ien@...

Ray Maxfield

The Governor has stated, We don’t need Amateur Radio Operator’s for Emergency Communications !

So, As usual Government is in the Dark !   Ray WA6VAB

[...]

Bill Mader <billamader@...>

GM Ray,

Do you have a reference from a trusted, reliable source that quotes the CA Governor?  Rumors fly among hams today, often with little to no basis in fact, much faster than the truth.

You'll find the facts at:

--
73, Bill Mader, K8TE
K-Line, KX3, KX1, K2

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

I use the expression "less than zero knowledge" which exists among many hams.     Less than zero knowledge is "knowledge that is not correct.

From the ARRL Newsletter Oct. 14, 2019

Report Causes Concern and Confusion in California's Amateur Radio Ranks

By all credible and reliable accounts, the State of California has not turned its back on Amateur Radio as an emergency communication resource, nor have established repeater owners been asked to remove their equipment from state-owned sites unless they pay sizable fees. The California controversy, inflamed by a viral YouTube video, stemmed from a California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) communication telling a repeater owner or group that Amateur Radio equipment would have to be removed from a state-owned site or "vault" if the owner(s) determined the cost was too great to proceed with a formal application to keep it there.

"I do understand and appreciate all of the service you have provided in the past," CAL FIRE's Lorina Pisi, told the unknown repeater owner(s) or group(s) last month. "However, with constantly changing technological advances, there is no longer the same benefit to State as previously provided. Therefore, the Department no longer financially supports HAM operators [sic] radios or tenancy. If you desire to enter into a formal agreement to operate and maintain said equipment, you must complete and submit attached collocation application along with fee as outlined on page one of application. There is cost associated with getting an agreement in place."

It's not clear to whom Pisi's memo was addressed, because any name or names were redacted from the version of the memo that is being circulated. ARRL reached out to Pisi but has not heard back.

ARRL officials who have also looked into the situation agree that it's been blown out of proportion by parties with their own agendas.

"The State of California has not made any determination we can find 'that Ham Radio [is] no longer a benefit,'" Pacific Division Director Jim Tiemstra, K6JAT, is quoted on the Sacramento Valley Section website. "What happened is that CAL FIRE has transferred responsibility for its communications sites to its property management department. That department has the task of evaluating each site, its condition, use, and tenants. If a repeater not known to be associated with the emergency management function of a local jurisdiction is found in a CAL FIRE vault, the default action is to move it out or subject it to commercial rental rates."

ARRL Southwestern Division Director Dick Norton, N6AA, has been responding to inquiries with the same message. Read more.

On 10/30/2019 7:41 AM, Bill Mader wrote:
GM Ray,

Do you have a reference from a trusted, reliable source that quotes the CA Governor?  Rumors fly among hams today, often with little to no basis in fact, much faster than the truth.

You'll find the facts at:

--
73, Bill Mader, K8TE
K-Line, KX3, KX1, K2
W6H NM Coordinator, Route 66 On-the-Air 4-13 Sep 2020
ARRL New Mexico Section Manager
ARRL - The national association for Amateur Radio
Duke City Hamfest BoD www.dukecityhamfest.org 18-20 Sep 2020
Secretary and Past President, Albuquerque DX Association

Ray Maxfield

Hi Bill, no I don’t have Reliable quote.

You know the Internet !  Ray  VAB

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Do you have a reference from a trusted, reliable source that quotes the CA Governor?  Rumors fly among hams today, often with little to no basis in fact, much faster than the truth.

You'll find the facts at:

--

73, Bill Mader, K8TE
K-Line, KX3, KX1, K2

W6H NM Coordinator, Route 66 On-the-Air 4-13 Sep 2020

ARRL New Mexico Section Manager

ARRL - The national association for Amateur Radio

Duke City Hamfest BoD www.dukecityhamfest.org 18-20 Sep 2020

Secretary and Past President, Albuquerque DX Association

mikerodgerske5gbc

There is a lot of hate out there these days for the citizens of California. It's a shame really.

73
Mike R

7!
Absolutely Awesome

On Oct 30, 2019, at 9:08 AM, Ray Maxfield <wa6vab@...> wrote:

Hi Bill, no I don’t have Reliable quote.

You know the Internet !  Ray  VAB

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Do you have a reference from a trusted, reliable source that quotes the CA Governor?  Rumors fly among hams today, often with little to no basis in fact, much faster than the truth.

You'll find the facts at:

--

73, Bill Mader, K8TE
K-Line, KX3, KX1, K2

W6H NM Coordinator, Route 66 On-the-Air 4-13 Sep 2020

ARRL New Mexico Section Manager

ARRL - The national association for Amateur Radio

Duke City Hamfest BoD www.dukecityhamfest.org 18-20 Sep 2020

Secretary and Past President, Albuquerque DX Association

David Bunte

Mike -

I think I missed the context of your statement "There is a lot of hate out there these days for the citizens of California. It's a shame really." If that is true, I agree it is a shame. Was there something in this thread that indicated such hatred?

I have family and great friends in out there.

Dave - K9FN