Topics

New to the KPA/KAT-500

Paul

With a newly acquired KPA/KAT 500 (along with a K4HD somewhere in the que), an existing Icom-7600, a SteppIR DB-18, a goodly pile of connection cables, and 5 operating manuals (Elecraft x2, Frad Cady’s book, Icom, Steppir), I’m left a bit bewildered on the many ways to connect the equipment together.

Does anyone have any experiences with this setup that they care to share? I see how I can easily do a basic setup, but I’d really like to get it a bit more idiot-proof (that’s me at times. Hi).

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom.

73s,

Paul Braiman, W2PIR

 . . . .
 . . . .  “Dare Mighty Things"
 . . . .     -Jet Propulsion Laboratory
 . . . .

John Canfield

Edited

I just bought a KPA1500 (yippee!) and was concerned about getting my Green Heron RT-21 rotator controller, the SteppIR SDA 2000 optimizer, the KPA1500 amp connected to my K3s, my Kenwood TS-590s and the PC. Bob Wilson, N6TV sells an "Y Box" and an "S Box" to interconnect station equipment. I gave him my requirements and he designed my specific connectivity for his Serial Box complete with a schematic, what kind of cable and even how to option the equipment. Apparently he builds some to order since he won't ship mine for a month.

Edit: Bob made a typo about the ship date for my S-Box, he meant a ship date of Jan 28 and not Feb 28!

John - WB5THT

Michael Foerster

Edited

Paul,

page 20 of the KPA500 manual shows how to connect up the amp and tuner.
  You do need the right cables as designated in the table.

the DIN cable picks up the PTT line on the 7300 and the analog band voltage so the amp knows which band the radio is on.  It looks like Elecraft does sell the cable From the 13 pin DIN connector so you would have to build one for the band switching.

The 4 pin flat white connector carries the Tune indication to the tuner, along with the power.

I don't have the combination, but I have been working on a similar set up for a friend with a flex radio, and I’m familiar with the 7300.

Mike, W0IH

Steve

Where to start.  One tip.  As the SteppIr is a resonant antenna, if you have it connected to one of the KAT500 ports, make sure that port is in bypass mode.  You don't need the tuner to tune a perfectly resonant antenna.  Sounds like a dynamite station.
WM6P

Bob Wilson, N6TV

Thanks John.

FYI, I plan to ship yours tomorrow.