Topics

Loses Time

Michael

I have had a K3 for over a year. The #1 complaint albeit trivial is the clock/time display : if I set it spot on today, within 72 hours it is about 3 minutes slow. I must reset it just about every 3 - 4 days or simply ignore it. Any suggestions?  FWIW, the power supply is always on but the K3 is off most of the day. However there were times when the K3 was on over 12 hours per day and still the clock was out in left field.
Just a PITA with no solution, I believe.

Ware Master

Possible the button cell battery is weak?

Otherwise I know the win4ksuite has an option to set the time to the computer time each time it's launched.

On Jul 5, 2020 4:04 PM, mcelmer1@... wrote:
I have had a K3 for over a year. The #1 complaint albeit trivial is the clock/time display : if I set it spot on today, within 72 hours it is about 3 minutes slow. I must reset it just about every 3 - 4 days or simply ignore it. Any suggestions?  FWIW, the power supply is always on but the K3 is off most of the day. However there were times when the K3 was on over 12 hours per day and still the clock was out in left field.
Just a PITA with no solution, I believe.

Ray Maxfield

The Clock runs on its own Crystal Osc.

The ‘Time Adj Cap’ installed is a Fixed value and can Not be adjusted is Built.

You would have to Remove the Chip Cap and install a Variable Cap to make it Adjustable.

Ray WA6VAB  K3 owner.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Possible the button cell battery is weak?

Otherwise I know the win4ksuite has an option to set the time to the computer time each time it's launched.

On Jul 5, 2020 4:04 PM, mcelmer1@... wrote:

I have had a K3 for over a year. The #1 complaint albeit trivial is the clock/time display : if I set it spot on today, within 72 hours it is about 3 minutes slow. I must reset it just about every 3 - 4 days or simply ignore it. Any suggestions?  FWIW, the power supply is always on but the K3 is off most of the day. However there were times when the K3 was on over 12 hours per day and still the clock was out in left field.
Just a PITA with no solution, I believe.

Kelly Breed

That does seem a bit large for a delta over 3 days. But you have to remember that the reason a computer keeps such good time is that it is constantly syncing up with time servers. Your (and my) K3 isn’t doing that. I don’t know what is inside the K3 but I doubt they put a lot of expense into a realtime clock.

Kelly
AJ6KZ

On Jul 5, 2020, at 4:40 PM, Ware Master <waremaster@...> wrote:

Possible the button cell battery is weak?

Otherwise I know the win4ksuite has an option to set the time to the computer time each time it's launched.

On Jul 5, 2020 4:04 PM, mcelmer1@... wrote:
I have had a K3 for over a year. The #1 complaint albeit trivial is the clock/time display : if I set it spot on today, within 72 hours it is about 3 minutes slow. I must reset it just about every 3 - 4 days or simply ignore it. Any suggestions?  FWIW, the power supply is always on but the K3 is off most of the day. However there were times when the K3 was on over 12 hours per day and still the clock was out in left field.
Just a PITA with no solution, I believe.

Michael

Kelly,

Thanks for the reply. Yes that is a bunch of time but the K3 has been doing it since day one.  And I agree, they cut a corner by not going the extra $20 to sync it  to a standard.

Mike

W8TRN

[...]

Kelly, forgot to ask: where is the button cell batttery?

Mike

W8TRN

[...]

Ray,

Thanks!! I is kinda what I expected; the design guys did not go the extra $20 to install a variable cap. BTW, where is the button cell battery??

Mike

W8TRN

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Possible the button cell battery is weak?

Otherwise I know the win4ksuite has an option to set the time to the computer time each time it's launched.

On Jul 5, 2020 4:04 PM, mcelmer1@... wrote:

I have had a K3 for over a year. The #1 complaint albeit trivial is the clock/time display : if I set it spot on today, within 72 hours it is about 3 minutes slow. I must reset it just about every 3 - 4 days or simply ignore it. Any suggestions?  FWIW, the power supply is always on but the K3 is off most of the day. However there were times when the K3 was on over 12 hours per day and still the clock was out in left field.
Just a PITA with no solution, I believe.

Szab� Istv�n

Please share with us which cap should be replaced with a variable cap.

73, István HA4ZD

--
"az agyat ne terheljük fölöslegesen adatokkal, arra a könyvek valók,
 az agyat gondolkodásra használjuk."

redarlington

Easy enough to write a script to set the clock via computer.  Or use Win4k3Suite or any other software package that does this (HRD maybe?)

Now... if you're not bringing a computer out in the field, I highly recommend ignoring the clock on the radio and wearing a wrist watch.  Mine syncs with WWVB and I use it to set the computer for FT8.   The radio doesn't care.

-Bob N3XKB

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 4:45 PM <mcelmer1@...> wrote:
I have had a K3 for over a year. The #1 complaint albeit trivial is the clock/time display : if I set it spot on today, within 72 hours it is about 3 minutes slow. I must reset it just about every 3 - 4 days or simply ignore it. Any suggestions?  FWIW, the power supply is always on but the K3 is off most of the day. However there were times when the K3 was on over 12 hours per day and still the clock was out in left field.
Just a PITA with no solution, I believe.

Ray Maxfield

The Cap is C60, near Xtal  Y1 and IC U16.

They are on the Back Side of the Front Panel Board.

C60 is a 33 Pf Chip Cap.

Y1 is a 32 Khz Clock Crystal, silver in color.

U16 is a PCF8563T IC,   8 pin Flat.

Most Circuits use 22 Pf in this application.

Ray  WA6VAB K3

Possible the button cell battery is weak?

Otherwise I know the win4ksuite has an option to set the time to the computer time each time it's launched.

On Jul 5, 2020 4:04 PM, mcelmer1@... wrote:

I have had a K3 for over a year. The #1 complaint albeit trivial is the clock/time display : if I set it spot on today, within 72 hours it is about 3 minutes slow. I must reset it just about every 3 - 4 days or simply ignore it. Any suggestions?  FWIW, the power supply is always on but the K3 is off most of the day. However there were times when the K3 was on over 12 hours per day and still the clock was out in left field.
Just a PITA with no solution, I believe.

--
"az agyat ne terheljük fölöslegesen adatokkal, arra a könyvek valók,
 az agyat gondolkodásra használjuk."

Ray Maxfield

Mike….. the Only Button I know about is the   Door Bell Button !  😊

I would replace the 33Pf cap with a 22Pf.

I used to use K3EZ software to make adjustment to my K3,

But it wont Down load on my Win 10 machine.

HATE Win 10………………. Ray

Possible the button cell battery is weak?

Otherwise I know the win4ksuite has an option to set the time to the computer time each time it's launched.

On Jul 5, 2020 4:04 PM, mcelmer1@... wrote:

I have had a K3 for over a year. The #1 complaint albeit trivial is the clock/time display : if I set it spot on today, within 72 hours it is about 3 minutes slow. I must reset it just about every 3 - 4 days or simply ignore it. Any suggestions?  FWIW, the power supply is always on but the K3 is off most of the day. However there were times when the K3 was on over 12 hours per day and still the clock was out in left field.
Just a PITA with no solution, I believe.

Ware Master

If you take the top cover off with the front of the radio facing you. It is to the left. I think it is a CR2032 button cell.

On Jul 5, 2020 11:57 PM, Michael <mcelmer1@...> wrote:

[...]

Mel Farrer, K6KBE

Roughly how  long does the cell last?  My K3 is >5 years old!

Mel, K6KBE

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 8:00 AM Ware Master <waremaster@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Mel….. I see some post that have lasted for 9-10 yrs.

Ray WA6VAB

[...]

Good, I have the replacement.

Mel, K6KBE

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 10:20 AM Ray Maxfield <wa6vab@...> wrote:

[...]

Kent Trimble, K9ZTV

It's easy to replace even if you have the two-meter module.

Kent  K9ZTV

On 7/6/2020 2:53 PM, Mel Farrer, K6KBE wrote:
[...]

Mine has not been changed since 2011

On Jul 6, 2020, at 3:54 PM, Mel Farrer, K6KBE <farrermesa@...> wrote:

[...]

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

Since my K3S is always connected to my computer, and my computer has the Meinburg app to keep the computer clock correct, then using the K3 Utility, I update the radio as needed.    A few seconds one way or the other makes little difference to me. In fact, +/- 1 minute is good enough for me for the radio.   I learned long long ago, splitting hairs on time or frequency is only un-needed frustration.

I use Meinburg for my computer digital application time syncing, which has nothing to do with the radio clock accuracy.

Keith_WE6R

The K3"S" has a tweaker under the main VFO knob. You will need a very accurate freq counter. 32.768Mhz. The K3 clock is not very accurate and no adjuster.
I have replaced the CR2032 during repairs per owners request, but the old battery always has good voltage.
IE I have NEVER seen a dead or leaky one. If you don't use the clock, you can take the battery out. It only keeps the clock time.
Keith WE6R Elecraft K3 Tech.

Ed Pflueger

I use Win4K3Suite and have Sync with PC clock on startup checked.  Works like a champ and I don’t miss meals because it’s on time.  HI..

Ed.. AB4IQ