KX3 audio

Larry

I bought a new H-P Win 10 laptop to use with my KX3 using FT8/FT4/etc.
I have the USB cable that is supposed

to work with it however i think i'm beginning to see that it is not for
use with WSJT or similar programs.  Is it only for data transfers like
updating your config files in the kX3?

I tried taking the audio from the headphone jack and running it to the
laptop jack marked for headset.  NOthing is showing up in any of my
laptop programs like WSJTX, Voicemeeter banana, MMTTY, FLdigi etc.

I'm lost.  There is no USB CODEC listed anyplace in the laptop. Is that
a necessity?  I know there is one in my main station for use with the K3
and i can enable or disable it easily.  Is there some other way to get
audio from the KX3 into the laptop?

Sumtin aint rite?

Larry W0OGH

K1dj

Good morning Larry. You will need an external USB sound card to interface between the KX3 and the computer. There is a variety of advice online, and the subject is covered pretty well in the Cady KX3 book.
73 - Rich, K1DJ

On Jan 30, 2021, at 11:44 AM, Larry <telegrapher@q.com> wrote:

I bought a new H-P Win 10 laptop to use with my KX3 using FT8/FT4/etc.
I have the USB cable that is supposed

to work with it however i think i'm beginning to see that it is not for
use with WSJT or similar programs. Is it only for data transfers like
updating your config files in the kX3?

I tried taking the audio from the headphone jack and running it to the
laptop jack marked for headset. NOthing is showing up in any of my
laptop programs like WSJTX, Voicemeeter banana, MMTTY, FLdigi etc.

I'm lost. There is no USB CODEC listed anyplace in the laptop. Is that
a necessity? I know there is one in my main station for use with the K3
and i can enable or disable it easily. Is there some other way to get
audio from the KX3 into the laptop?

Sumtin aint rite?

Larry W0OGH

Larry

I thought there might be something to that but also thought that there
was something in WIN10.   Ok, will do some searching.  I've heard of
several options for them but didn't think it would apply to my
situation.  Now to find a good reliable one.

thanks

Larry

W0OGH

On 1/30/2021 10:04 AM, K1dj via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Bill Maddock

Yes you will need a time sync program to make sure computer time is on time. There are several out there. If you have audio going to computer WSJT will work with out the CAT interface. You will just need to band changes manually. Getting computer time within 1/2 second is crucial.

On Saturday, January 30, 2021, 11:15 AM, Larry <telegrapher@q.com> wrote:

I thought there might be something to that but also thought that there
was something in WIN10.   Ok, will do some searching.  I've heard of
several options for them but didn't think it would apply to my
situation.  Now to find a good reliable one.

thanks

Larry

W0OGH

On 1/30/2021 10:04 AM, K1dj via groups.io wrote:
> Good morning Larry.  You will need an external USB sound card to interface between the KX3 and the computer. There is a variety of advice online, and the subject is covered pretty well in the Cady KX3 book.
> 73 - Rich, K1DJ
>> On Jan 30, 2021, at 11:44 AM, Larry <telegrapher@q.com> wrote:
>>
>> I bought a new H-P Win 10 laptop to use with my KX3 using FT8/FT4/etc.
>> I have the USB cable that is supposed
>>
>> to work with it however i think i'm beginning to see that it is not for
>> use with WSJT or similar programs.  Is it only for data transfers like
>> updating your config files in the kX3?
>>
>> I tried taking the audio from the headphone jack and running it to the
>> laptop jack marked for headset.  NOthing is showing up in any of my
>> laptop programs like WSJTX, Voicemeeter banana, MMTTY, FLdigi etc.
>>
>> I'm lost.  There is no USB CODEC listed anyplace in the laptop. Is that
>> a necessity?  I know there is one in my main station for use with the K3
>> and i can enable or disable it easily.  Is there some other way to get
>> audio from the KX3 into the laptop?
>>
>> Sumtin aint rite?
>>
>> Larry W0OGH

Wes Stewart

Larry,

First, you should not need an external sound card.  If you go into Control Panel and select Sound, you will have a Playback and Recording Tabs.  These should be where you point WSJT-X in setup. Also turn off Windows Sounds while you are there.

You need to set the KX3 to ASFK A mode per the manual on Page 18.

You will need a cable(s) to connect the Phones and Mic on the KX3 to the (what is probably a Headset) combo Mic/Headphone jack on the laptop.

This should get you going.

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 08:44 AM, Larry wrote:
I bought a new H-P Win 10 laptop to use with my KX3 using FT8/FT4/etc.
I have the USB cable that is supposed

to work with it however i think i'm beginning to see that it is not for
use with WSJT or similar programs.  Is it only for data transfers like
updating your config files in the kX3?

I tried taking the audio from the headphone jack and running it to the
laptop jack marked for headset.  NOthing is showing up in any of my
laptop programs like WSJTX, Voicemeeter banana, MMTTY, FLdigi etc.

I'm lost.  There is no USB CODEC listed anyplace in the laptop. Is that
a necessity?  I know there is one in my main station for use with the K3
and i can enable or disable it easily.  Is there some other way to get
audio from the KX3 into the laptop?

Sumtin aint rite?

Larry W0OGH

Jim Brown

Hi Larry,

AG6EE uses a KX3 extensively with WSJT-X grid expedition. The KX3 does not have built-in USB audio. The serial interface is, indeed, for control. Although he COULD use a suitable set of adapter cables to get audio back and forth between the KX3 and computer, he uses an Xonar USB interface to get improved dynamic range than the computer's built-in sound system.

What MAY be your problem is that the most laptops and also the KX3 use 4-circuit jacks and plugs for including audio. All of this is in the KX3 user manual. As I recall, there may be one or more software switches to change how the jacks function. I don't use my KX3 this way, so I don't remember details. There are lots of adapter cables, for example, to split off mic and headphones separately. In the KX3, one of the pins in the mic jack is PTT. In computers, two contacts are used for L & R phones, one for mic input, with the shell as return for both.

Another good reason for using a USB audio interface like the Xonar is that you can plug in headphones and listen to the RX instead of needing to use a Y-cable to split the KX3 headphone output between computer and phones.

There's an app note on my website about USB audio interfaces. k9yc.com

73, Jim K9YC

On 1/30/2021 8:44 AM, Larry wrote:
I bought a new H-P Win 10 laptop to use with my KX3 using FT8/FT4/etc.
I have the USB cable that is supposed
to work with it however i think i'm beginning to see that it is not for
use with WSJT or similar programs.  Is it only for data transfers like
updating your config files in the kX3?
I tried taking the audio from the headphone jack and running it to the
laptop jack marked for headset.  NOthing is showing up in any of my
laptop programs like WSJTX, Voicemeeter banana, MMTTY, FLdigi etc.
I'm lost.  There is no USB CODEC listed anyplace in the laptop. Is that
a necessity?  I know there is one in my main station for use with the K3
and i can enable or disable it easily.  Is there some other way to get
audio from the KX3 into the laptop?
Sumtin aint rite?

Paul McKee

I encountered some problems yesterday posting my reply, but it looks like Jim K9YC had the same idea as me - you are most likely plugging a 3-connector audio cable into a 4-connector audio jack on your laptop.  You can buy an inexpensive Y cable that will plug into your laptop's 4-connector TRRS jack and provide for you a 3-connector TRS jack for stereo headphones and a 2-connector TS jack for microphone.  You then can use a 3-connector male-to-male stereo cable from this Y cable to the phones connection on the KX3 and either a 2-connector or 3-connector male-to-male audio cable to the Mic connection.

Here's an example of the product I'm describing, but there are many similar products available:

Hopefully this, and the other advice about time synchronization will get you on your way.  I agree that using an external USB sound card might give you greater dynamic range (if you buy the right one), but I kind of favor the Y cable approach because it is simpler/lower tech.

Paul AK4OH

Larry

Got that all taken care of Bill.

Larry W0OGH

On 1/30/2021 10:20 AM, Bill Maddock via groups.io wrote:
Yes you will need a time sync program to make sure computer time is on time. There are several out there. If you have audio going to computer WSJT will work with out the CAT interface. You will just need to band changes manually. Getting computer time within 1/2 second is crucial.

On Saturday, January 30, 2021, 11:15 AM, Larry <telegrapher@q.com> wrote:

I thought there might be something to that but also thought that there
was something in WIN10.   Ok, will do some searching.  I've heard of
several options for them but didn't think it would apply to my
situation.  Now to find a good reliable one.

thanks

Larry

W0OGH

On 1/30/2021 10:04 AM, K1dj via groups.io wrote:
> Good morning Larry.  You will need an external USB sound card to interface between the KX3 and the computer. There is a variety of advice online, and the subject is covered pretty well in the Cady KX3 book.
> 73 - Rich, K1DJ
>> On Jan 30, 2021, at 11:44 AM, Larry <telegrapher@q.com> wrote:
>>
>> I bought a new H-P Win 10 laptop to use with my KX3 using FT8/FT4/etc.
>> I have the USB cable that is supposed
>>
>> to work with it however i think i'm beginning to see that it is not for
>> use with WSJT or similar programs.  Is it only for data transfers like
>> updating your config files in the kX3?
>>
>> I tried taking the audio from the headphone jack and running it to the
>> laptop jack marked for headset.  NOthing is showing up in any of my
>> laptop programs like WSJTX, Voicemeeter banana, MMTTY, FLdigi etc.
>>
>> I'm lost.  There is no USB CODEC listed anyplace in the laptop. Is that
>> a necessity?  I know there is one in my main station for use with the K3
>> and i can enable or disable it easily.  Is there some other way to get
>> audio from the KX3 into the laptop?
>>
>> Sumtin aint rite?
>>
>> Larry W0OGH

Larry

I bought a pair of those King products and they seem to work just fine.  Thanks for the tip.

Larry W0OGH